• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2022 deer season

Well it sure was an odd weekend.  We did not hear much shooting Saturday on West side of Mille Lacs.  Sunday morning we heard a few more shots, maybe equal to what we heard all of Saturday (10 different shooters maybe) and then all went silent as the wind picked up.  We had the plan to walk around swamps all day and it paid off.  Buddy walked around a deadfall just as a doe crested a crossing between 2 swamps.  Doe down and now we just need 1 more deer this weekend to fill our need for the winter.  Good Luck to everyone and congrats to those that have been successful!!

Edited by ozzie

our deer hunt was a total bust opener. i did talk to a hunter that said he heard wolves in our area saturday morning. 

we have 5 guys in our group, 2 hunt in 197, 3 hunt in 169. i was the only one in 197 that seen a deer, and a fawn at that and no its still alive. noone else seen anything resembling a deer from sat through tuesday morning. not even prior to or after shooting hours driving to and from our hunting areas.......and that never happens. heard 2 close shots saturday morning that was it!!!!

Bummer @smurfy!

Maybe your luck will change if you have some snow on the ground the next couple weekends?

Its gettin’ cold out there!  I just put the patio furniture in and it’s a big difference from earlier today.  I have a buddy wanting to know if I want to hunt ducks or deer this weekend and I’m not sure if it’ll be either!  At least traveling to do it.  Maybe around home?  

@leech~~ we had long, cold, wet spring this year after a HARD snowy winter.  We haven’t been seeing deer numbers around home like usual either, and fewer fawns.  I wouldn’t say weather has nothing to do with success rates this season.  Haven’t seen a wolf, heard a wolf or seen a track of one.  

I’m not saying they don’t have an impact but added all together, the cards aren’t heavy in our favor this year.

I’m still getting area reports of sparse deer in many areas with big herds in isolated areas - they’re normal wintering holes already.  It could be another rough winter coming. 

24 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Bummer @smurfy!

Maybe your luck will change if you have some snow on the ground the next couple weekends?

Its gettin’ cold out there!  I just put the patio furniture in and it’s a big difference from earlier today.  I have a buddy wanting to know if I want to hunt ducks or deer this weekend and I’m not sure if it’ll be either!  At least traveling to do it.  Maybe around home?  

@leech~~ we had long, cold, wet spring this year after a HARD snowy winter.  We haven’t been seeing deer numbers around home like usual either, and fewer fawns.  I wouldn’t say weather has nothing to do with success rates this season.  Haven’t seen a wolf, heard a wolf or seen a track of one.  

I’m not saying they don’t have an impact but added all together, the cards aren’t heavy in our favor this year.

I’m still getting area reports of sparse deer in many areas with big herds in isolated areas - they’re normal wintering holes already.  It could be another rough winter coming. 

Yeah, well check the Wolve pack numbers in the big isolated herd areas!  👍  😜

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

yea i'm hoping to at least see one next week. i do have an anterless permit.........that dont make good pepper sticks!!!!!!!!🤭🙄

by the way i never did stop and check out your chair either...........guess i was on a mission!!!!!!!1😉

Next week the weather is really going to turn to shat cold and maybe some snow.  Hope the wind stays down at lease! 🙁

26 minutes ago, Kettle said:

I've seen wolves in the area during daylight hours this year grouse hunting. Maybe a blanket statement but if I'm seeing them during the daytime, a historically nighttime predator, their numbers are definitely up..... referring to Itasca county 

Funny thing, I hunted, snowmobiled, 4 wheeled and rode dirt bikes in the Paul Bunyan for 30 years and never once heard or saw a Timber wolf.  Heard and saw lot of Yotes though! 

11 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Funny thing, I hunted, snowmobiled, 4 wheeled and rode dirt bikes in the Paul Bunyan for 30 years and never once heard or saw a Timber wolf.  Heard and saw lot of Yotes though! 

I'm a ways NE of there, yes we do have plenty of yotes too, hard to mistake a 100 lbs animal from a 40 lbs though. Shear size is impressive. There's been wolves as far south as Isanti County for 10+ years now.

1 hour ago, Kettle said:

I'm a ways NE of there, yes we do have plenty of yotes too, hard to mistake a 100 lbs animal from a 40 lbs though. Shear size is impressive. There's been wolves as far south as Isanti County for 10+ years now.

I should have added that I hunt by Outing MN now for about the last 10years.  Wolves as thick as ticks over there!  😐

Did a little scouting last evening around where I closed the ML season last year.  On the public I found I found 4 sets of tracks in a spot they were using last year (where I missed one), and 5 trucks.  I saw only 1 deer, on private, by someone’s house.

Decided to be lazy this morning instead of hunting.  Besides, the honey do list needs to see some damage.  Maybe I’ll hunt tomorrow.

Good luck All.

53 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Did a little scouting last evening around where I closed the ML season last year.  On the public I found I found 4 sets of tracks in a spot they were using last year (where I missed one), and 5 trucks.  I saw only 1 deer, on private, by someone’s house.

Decided to be lazy this morning instead of hunting.  Besides, the honey do list needs to see some damage.  Maybe I’ll hunt tomorrow.

Good luck All.

Sounds like the Duck hunters on George are having a great morning! No shots in the wood's yet. 

45 minutes ago, fishingstar said:

yes she shot a bigger deer then me. but it's the first deer I have shot in close to 40 years. I did take 38 years off.

Well look at it this way... Life will be easier!!👍🤣

9 hours ago, smurfy said:

i'm heading back up wed AM to see if i can fill my tag....... .ireally dont care to make soup out of my anterless permit!!!!!!!🙄

Not to put a damper on this season.  From Outing to the city today out of hundreds of trucks with trailer. I only saw 3 deer and they were all on one trailer!  I only saw one Deer in two weekends and it was crossing the dirt road when I was putting my gun away.  Crafty Devils!  😆