• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2022 deer season

Getting excited to go this year as my 13 (soon to be 14 on Saturday) year old son, has now taken an interest in hunting!  He really wants to go deer hunting, so I went and investigated what would be a good gun for him to use, and decided on a 20 gauge Savage 220 bolt action slug gun.  If finding that model of gun wasn't hard enough, trying to now find bullets for the darn thing is pert near impossible!!  Not only are the Remington Accutips (recommended ammo) out everywhere, the next best thing Hornady SST are also out of stock!  To add to all that, trying to just find a 20 gauge sabot to just shoot the gun is proving to be very rare to find!!!  The only saving grace is that I know people that have the same make and model gun and they have some extras they will borrow if need be, but no one wants to give away hard to find ammo!!  Exciting to have my son want to hunt this year but finding ammo was not part of the hunt that I thought was going to be hard!!!   Good Luck to everyone this year!  Last night in my neighborhood I saw 8 bucks all hanging together...some decent ones mixed in with a couple spikes and forks.  Sure gets the blood pumping ready for the season to really get going!

16 hours ago, mntatonka said:

Actually 3 with antlers in some parts.  One with each license type.

Is that new?  It’s always only been 1 antlered deer statewide.  I have to admit I haven’t read the regs thoroughly the past couple years.

On 10/4/2022 at 9:15 AM, ozzie said:

Getting excited to go this year as my 13 (soon to be 14 on Saturday) year old son, has now taken an interest in hunting!  He really wants to go deer hunting, so I went and investigated what would be a good gun for him to use, and decided on a 20 gauge Savage 220 bolt action slug gun.  If finding that model of gun wasn't hard enough, trying to now find bullets for the darn thing is pert near impossible!!  Not only are the Remington Accutips (recommended ammo) out everywhere, the next best thing Hornady SST are also out of stock!  To add to all that, trying to just find a 20 gauge sabot to just shoot the gun is proving to be very rare to find!!!  The only saving grace is that I know people that have the same make and model gun and they have some extras they will borrow if need be, but no one wants to give away hard to find ammo!!  Exciting to have my son want to hunt this year but finding ammo was not part of the hunt that I thought was going to be hard!!!   Good Luck to everyone this year!  Last night in my neighborhood I saw 8 bucks all hanging together...some decent ones mixed in with a couple spikes and forks.  Sure gets the blood pumping ready for the season to really get going!

You’re in the same boat as so many other since people figured out how lethal the new 20’s are.  I’ve had an Ultra Slug for a while but they quit making them.  Love that little single shot.  Now everyone else I know that slug hunts has gotten the 220’s like you and are looking for those same loads.  This past spring one buddy found the Hornadys in stock at $5/shot.  Without question I took 5 boxes.  Ouch! 

Yeah ,the bullets have been hard to find, and the Accutips are nonexistent at this time.  My friend says he hasn't seen a box in months for sale and is waiting for an order he placed through Remington 2+ months ago for them.  I was lucky and found some Hornady SST 2 3/4 shells online for $17 a box...bought 5 and decided to order more.  They became unavailable, but yesterday found them again and ordered another 4 boxes!  I want to send down as many shots as I can to make sure my son is comfortable in shooting before he takes a shot at a living animal.  I cannot wait to get out and test this gun and also enjoy sitting in a blind with my son hoping he has the opportunity and the excitement to bring him back into the woods year after year!

Also, you can only shoot ONE antlered deer in the state of MN, no matter how many licenses you buy...

Good Luck, 

Ozzie

https://ammoandfirearmshop.com/product/remington-premier-accutip-20-gauge-260-grain-bonded-sabot-slugs-2/

Just talked to em in online chat room. Ammo is in stock & tell da kid good luck! If it comes up right, i left one in da cart for ya.

Edited by Ronnie D

Took the kid out shooting on Saturday and dialed in the Savage 220.  What a fun gun to shoot!  We borrowed a box of Winchester Sabots and then shot a box of the Hornady SST's.  We zeroed in that gun pretty easily and got a few extra shots to make sure my son was comfortable shooting the gun.  Luckily it only took the 2 boxes to get accurate so now I have a good healthy supply of ammo for the season with 8 boxes! :)   Now it is time to start searching for a good place to sit come youth opener!!

On 10/7/2022 at 5:06 AM, Wanderer said:

Is that new?  It’s always only been 1 antlered deer statewide.  I have to admit I haven’t read the regs thoroughly the past couple years.

It changed last year, or perhaps the year before.  

Page 71 of the regs explains it.  DPAs 643, 645, 646, 647, 648, 649 in the southeast CWD areas you can take one legal buck with each weapon and they do not count against the statewide limit of 1 legal buck.  They count against the total license and DPA limits though.

The total statewide limit is 5 deer.

5 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Page 71 of the regs explains it.  DPAs 643, 645, 646, 647, 648, 649 in the southeast CWD areas you can take one legal buck with each weapon and they do not count against the statewide limit of 1 legal buck.  They count against the total license and DPA limits though.

The total statewide limit is 5 deer.

Yeah their pretty liberal in the CWD slaughter areas.  I heard next year you can use hand grenades' so you can take your 5 at one time!  🤭

4 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Take @smurfy with you if you go.  He can can them on the spot for ya. 😉

… and this one made me think of you. 😄

DB1E2FB6-B0FF-46E8-9088-06165D1AE2B9.thumb.jpeg.234f781f9317fb910e992600c2ec2c5d.jpeg

Speaking about canning Venison.  I had an Aunt and Uncle that lived on a farm in the woods up by Sandstone, mn.  When I was about 6-7 they told me that back in the depression, they used to can their Deer meat in jars and hide the jars under all the fence posts from the game warden.  😄

6 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

the folks did what they had to back then...   

Like telling their little nephews big stories about putting glass jars under 20lb big wood fence posts! 😆

Plus all the Wolf, Bear and oh yeah the ghost of a dead relative in the attic of their farm house! It was a fun time! 😳😆

21 hours ago, smurfy said:

IF  iread the regulations correctly, i think you can take a second buck in some of the CWD areas?????? 

3 bucks in 643, 645, 646, 647, 648, 649, and 655.  And if you hunt the special season in December you could theoretically take as many bucks as you want, since there's no restrictions at all during that season.

We've also got WAY too many deer in most of those areas, and have for decades.    It's also almost entirely private land so it's hard to manage populations in those areas.

On 10/14/2022 at 10:30 AM, leech~~ said:

Speaking about canning Venison.  I had an Aunt and Uncle that lived on a farm in the woods up by Sandstone, mn.  When I was about 6-7 they told me that back in the depression, they used to can their Deer meat in jars and hide the jars under all the fence posts from the game warden.  😄

mom used to can venison long time ago.........until she found out my brother would have it all gone within the first month afterwards!!!!!!!🥴

we never had to worry about hiding it.......we are law abiding citizens!!!!!!!!!! 😇

all these friggin rules in these CWD zones are so darn confusing. the idea of having to quarter it before leaving that area doesnt sound like alot of fun!!!!!!!!

Edited by smurfy