Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

Recommended Posts

I just purchased a used 2up, which is the first snowmobile I've owned and I plan to primarily use it for ice fishing.  What is everyone using for auger racks?  Are the Kolpin grips strong enough to hold an auger?  I have a Nils auger which is very light, but I got the sled with the idea my dad could use it when he's at the cabin, and he has an ION that is about 22 pounds. I see the Kolpin Rino Grip Pros are rated to 50 pounds, but I wasn't sure if that's a best-case scenario and not banging around while driving.

 

I got a 2011 Polaris IQ LXT if the make/model matters.

 

Thanks for helping a newby out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a nice sled. Does it have the metal rack in the back?  I think there has been a few threads on this subject if you try a search on here and over on FM.  

I, and I believe Wanderer, have the gun holders mounted on the back rack.  Not sure what brand I have but they work great. They have U bolts on a metal bracket and I just flip them up when I get to the lake and tighten them, loosen and flip them down when done fishing and putting my cover on for traveling.  I've gone about 45-50mph with the auger on the back not didn't move a bit with a bungy cord on them. If I'm just taking it easy from spot to spot they just sit there and have never fallen off. 

 

 

Edited by leech~~
Link to post
Share on other sites

This what the back of mine looks like. I was thinking I could mount the gun holder type of grips to the metal bar in the back, if they're strong enough to hold - which is sounds like they are. I will research those previous threads though and see if I come across better ideas. Thanks Leech.

153752788_10225465310319295_6918262654980127529_o.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep that's right where I have mine. Wish I could post a picture but still at work.  You might even get away with mounting on the hitch bar and not have to lose your storage bag! 👍

 

Funny, we joined up the same month of the same year! 😄

Edited by leech~~
Link to post
Share on other sites

I put this on mine a couple weeks ago. Works great with my old Strike master. Had to drill some holes in the bumper because mine is flat. It's a Digger auger eack.IMG_20210217_152709641.thumb.jpg.19c7aaf6e7d6e86fd8c57e176b03754a.jpg

IMG_20210217_152700745.jpg

Edited by CigarGuy
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably the best pictures to see the Y gun mounts that I use the haul my auger, right over my shoulder.  They have worked great and the rubber layer helps keep it on and snug and I've used them on my last 3 sleds with racks on the back. 

IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys I'll look into both options.  Leech, it is interesting we joined at the same time. I spent too much time in Sillytown, so don't stop back here nearly as often as I once did. You're killing me on number of posts!

Link to post
Share on other sites

are you guys not concerned that the way thats mounted with no support on the head of the auger that its gonna bend something????

 

 

I've spent years thinking about some type of auger mounts........but that is my biggest fear.🤔

 

oh and Leech........that pictures like 25 years old.......got any updated ones????🤭🤔🤣

Edited by smurfy
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smurfy said:

are you guys not concerned that the way thats mounted with no support on the head of the auger that its gonna bend something????

 

 

I've spent years thinking about some type of auger mounts........but that is my biggest fear.🤔

 

oh and Leech........that pictures like 25 years old.......got any updated ones????🤭🤔🤣

My auger sits right on the collar of the head and bit so pretty good support.

 

Sorry, you have a Hard-on for my old Walleye picture, actually that was about 3 years ago.  Someday you may find some?  🤪

Edited by leech~~
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2021 at 11:54 AM, Getanet said:

I just purchased a  ION that is about 22 pounds.

I borrowed an ion the other day and was surprised how heavy it was.  I thought my milwaukee batteries were charged... Whoops.

 

I really noticed this year every time I heard that pop pop pop of an old jiffy across the lake.  Didn't hear too many gas augers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, smurfy said:

are you guys not concerned that the way thats mounted with no support on the head of the auger that its gonna bend something????

 

 

I've spent years thinking about some type of auger mounts........but that is my biggest fear.🤔

 

oh and Leech........that pictures like 25 years old.......got any updated ones????🤭🤔🤣

There's a little "L" bracket that mounts to the frame with 2-self tapping screws that the Motorhead rests on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

There's a little "L" bracket that mounts to the frame with 2-self tapping screws that the Motorhead rests on.

👍 after further review i see that now!!!!

 

like your taste in sleds!!!!!!!👍🤗 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a sled type portable like the one in Leech's picture only older and not as nice. I've never figured out the fascination with mounting my auger or any other gear to my wheeler. I just put it all in the sled and pull it around. I'm guessing even if guys are fishing from a hub house or something besides a pull over style they still pull out their gear in a sled. I'm not sure why I would want to fasten things to my wheeler or snowmobile?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I have a sled type portable like the one in Leech's picture only older and not as nice. I've never figured out the fascination with mounting my auger or any other gear to my wheeler. I just put it all in the sled and pull it around. I'm guessing even if guys are fishing from a hub house or something besides a pull over style they still pull out their gear in a sled. I'm not sure why I would want to fasten things to my wheeler or snowmobile?

 

 

You, Sir, obviously don't take enough dump with you when you go fishing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Getanet said:

 

You, Sir, obviously don't take enough dump with you when you go fishing!

 

Well, maybe that's why I don't get it. I don't see a reason to bring more than the sled can carry. I usually have an auger, a heater, vexilar, a bag with 6 poles and tackle, bait bucket, bucket for fish, a case of Busch Light, a few other misc. odds and ends, and that's about it.

 

Actually, I just put the auger on top of everything anyway. If I had to carry something on my wheeler it would probably be my FL-20 to protect it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always put my auger on the bottom of the sled so I don't tear the canvas or crush something (heavy old auger). I have to unload everything to drill a hole.  With the rack, I find myself willing to move more. Four bolts and off comes the rack, if I want to go sledding. Plus, when it nice out, I don't need the sled/house and can "run and gun" as they say.  Like I do much of that- just sounds good 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

I always put my auger on the bottom of the sled so I don't tear the canvas or crush something (heavy old auger). I have to unload everything to drill a hole.  With the rack, I find myself willing to move more. Four bolts and off comes the rack, if I want to go sledding. Plus, when it nice out, I don't need the sled/house and can "run and gun" as they say.  Like I do much of that- just sounds good 😊

Ding,ding,ding Winner! 👍👍

 

"I have to unload everything to drill a hole.  With the rack, I find myself willing to move more."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leech mentioned I might use the gun rack style, and I do.  There was a time I put the auger in my flip over tub but quit doing that for a few reasons learned on longer runs:

 

With gas I had a leak once.  You don’t ever want to repeat that, especially under a travel cover.  Thankfully mine was on top.  But on top you need to have a head cover and strap it down.  More time and hassle.

 

Its a lot of extra banging dealt to the auger or depth finder and even tackle.  The tub takes more of a beating than you might realize.

 

In the rack, on the snowmobile (and mounted high) you keep the auger more stable and out of the snow dust and slush you might deal with.  I always ran with the depth finder in the basket, the auger in the gun rack and a wore a fishing backpack with my tackle boxes and anything else I wanted quick access to like food, extra gloves, headlamp, camera, etc.  

 

Its so much quicker and easier to run and gun that way, plus on warmer days or if the lake had bad conditions like deep snow or slush, I’d leave the tub behind completely so I didn’t have to worry about getting stuck as much.  Grab a rod box and go.  Completely self contained on the sled.

Edited by Wanderer
Link to post
Share on other sites

  I've been using the Digger Rack on my ATVs and sleds for some time now.  IMO they are the quickest and easiest way to go.   When I pull up to a spot the 1st thing I want to get at is the auger. 2nd is the depth finder.  I may start fishing or there or I might move but for sure I don't want to unload and dig for those in my tub. 

  Really though where the Digger proves its worth is with my sharpening business.  The Nils is unique to other auger blades in that the head is adjustable.  That means every blade is taken out to be tested and adjusted on the ice.  I may have 20 heads to test and adjust on any given day.  Racking the auger and clamped in takes a matter of a few seconds.   This makes for a perfect platform to change heads. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 6:52 AM, Surface Tension said:

  I've been using the Digger Rack on my ATVs and sleds for some time now.  IMO they are the quickest and easiest way to go.   When I pull up to a spot the 1st thing I want to get at is the auger. 2nd is the depth finder.  I may start fishing or there or I might move but for sure I don't want to unload and dig for those in my tub. 

  Really though where the Digger proves its worth is with my sharpening business.  The Nils is unique to other auger blades in that the head is adjustable.  That means every blade is taken out to be tested and adjusted on the ice.  I may have 20 heads to test and adjust on any given day.  Racking the auger and clamped in takes a matter of a few seconds.   This makes for a perfect platform to change heads. 

 

Wow, didn't realize you are the Nils sharpening guy Surface Tension.  I sent my blades into you this summer and got them back in a day or two.  Unfortunately for both of us I didn't get out much this winter so definitely won't need the blades sharpened again for a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.