• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many still use minnows for walleye even in the heat of summer

This time of year I’m a crawler guy and I don’t see too many minnow  buckets hanging over the side of other boats in July but how many use minnows all year with good success?  Both crawlers and leeches have been slow for me lately and  if I buy a bucket of minnows would it be worth it this time of year?

Edited by tacklejunkie

listening to the FAN Outdoors the other week the bait shop that they speak with often stated that minnows in the summer become almost impossible to keep alive due to some factors with a protective slime (?) and that is why you don't see them sold as frequently in the summer.  I maybe off on some information along with it  but was interesting to say the least...

It depends on the water you fish in. 1 lake I go to it's all minnows year around and nothing on leaches, but a few with crawlers. Know the water is the best I can say.

Floating Raps work year around for anything from 16---24 give or take, but only around sunset.

On 7/24/2020 at 12:34 PM, rundrave said:

zero minnows its all crawlers and leeches for me this time of year.  The leech season is coming to an end here and they are getting hard to find anywhere right now.

I’ve noticed the quality of leeches at the bait shops have declined. 

I’m not a real big fan of them but might be time to pull out the crank baits

On 7/31/2020 at 7:21 PM, tacklejunkie said:

Yes 

Found them useless 

I have yet to find plastics to be very effective. I've tried everything from finesse to snap jigging and trolling and found nothing plastic will out fish live bait. It could be that I just don't fish them properly though.

I would like to know if there is a way to use plastics with greater confidence for walleyes so any tips would be much appreciated. 

One concern that has crossed my mind is the question of whether or not the plastics are edible. If a fish bites it off and swallows it, can it harm the fish?