• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I Need Feeder Critics

Hawg

Another summer with few birds. Anybody see any problems with this feeder assortment? I have 1 or 2 Oriole pairs when I had dozens last year. I have a couple catbirds. I have nuthatches galore like everyone. Purple finches are still around. Also have cardinals like last year. I did have 1 Indigo Bunting but no neat/unusual visitor birds even passing thru. More red-wing black birds than before. No hummers. No goldfinches. No grosbeaks.  I've read house sparrows chase things away and I do have a quite a few but not infested by any means. Lots of blue Jays. Very few of the assorted bigger blackbirds. Haven't seen a cat prowling around hardly all year either. Feeders are kept well stocked (safflower,thistle, premium wild bird seed, black sunflower, grape jelly, & hummer juice) and clean with fresh seed but none of my favorite birds I mentioned. That PVC pole hasn't had a squirrel figure it out for at least 2 years and the couple that did aren't talking. Is this too much too close together? Any suggestions?

Bird Feeder.JPG

Edited by Hawg

At first glance, I was going to ask if the circus came to town.  LOL. 

Really, there is a bird visible there in the photo. 

How long has this arrangement been in place?  I ask, since it does take awhile for the birds to find the new feeders.  

I'm no bird expert, but I'd like to think one of those big neon signs that lights up orange with "OPEN" on it, would help!!

Edited by BIGFISH.JZ

I would forget the safflower and mix, but I don't think that is the issue. If it is an abrupt change from last year then it could just be a natural fluctuation.  No changes to landscaping or plantings?

Only other thing I can see would be some sort of predator like a hawk or something. 

The neat visitors are sort of random seems to me.  Also feeding by neighbors could change things. Hummers are a puzzle, but weather was weird this spring. We don't have many here at cabin this year.

personally i'd seperate some of the feeders. some birds dont get along.

i'd also stay away from cracked corn and the millet type feed. tends to draw sparrows and unwanted birds. i strictly feed sunflowers, thistle and safflower. 

its been a wierd year for birds. we used to have morning doves all the time, seen them this spring and none since. same with bluebirds and those tree swallows. had a pile of orioles at first none for a while!

Edited by smurfy

3 hours ago, smurfy said:

personally i'd seperate some of the feeders. some birds dont get along.

i'd also stay away from cracked corn and the millet type feed. tends to draw sparrows and unwanted birds. i strictly feed sunflowers, thistle and safflower. 

its been a wierd year for birds. we used to have morning doves all the time, seen them this spring and none since. same with bluebirds and those tree swallows. had a pile of orioles at first none for a while!

What do the safflower attract?

I would put oil sunflower seeds in all the feeders. Also I would put the hummer feeder and jelly a ways away from this spot. good luck with it! I see some suet on the tree in back. should be a good spot. I just put 3 slinkys on my poles. squirrels are getting frustrated... LOL 

Well if it was in my yard you would get lots of birds and then along would come the big one and it's babies and it would all be over! I'll have to wait until winter before I feed the birds again but keep the pics coming they are nice to look at.

DSC01772.JPG

DSC01847_02.jpg

Edited by chaffmj

Purple finches empty both  safflower feeders at least twice a week I still have those. Internet says safflower is preferred over sunflower seeds for cardinals but I have not seen that. Although it also says cardinals don’t like swinging feeders. House sparrows dislike safflower and will not sit on a swing feeder either. Lots of sites say get rid of house sparrows too.  Bad on feeders and nesting sites too, sounds like they are just plain nasty. Oh well blackbirds except red wings are gone also and I do need to sharpen my pellet gun skills. Vegetation is in check. Thanks guys. 

house sparrows love millet is one reason I never have it out. worked at a bird seed factory in ND many years ago.  sparrows everywhere. LOL  Cardinals prefer a ledge over a post so house type feeders have always worked good. They like to grab a seed then look for danger. They will sit on my worm feeder that swings a lot. kinda quiet the last couple days. wish we had the purples here. a few each spring as they fly thru.