• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shredded Turkey

Had shredded turkey at a friends house that he bought that was delicious. Just curious if anyone knows what temp to cook it to so it will shred nicely. I already tried yesterday but results are unknown cause it took to long so it went in fridge and I went to bed. I smoked until breast hit 155 then removed the breast and put in pan with chicken stock and covered back on grille til 180. Hoping stock kept it from drying out. Will find out after work tonite.

155 is safe.  180 will make sawdust, I believe.   White meat is so lean and has no collagen to gelatinize.  

Best turkey I ever ate was cooked on a weber kettle.   I have since cooked several myself, and it only takes a few hours. indirect method.   Point the legs towards the heat, dark meat needs to cook a little more. 

If I just wanted to eat it I would have kept it off at 155. It does not shred at that temp. Thought maybe theres a magic temp like pork. 145 delicious any higher sucks then at about 200 shreds awesome. Guess I will see it was just a free giant turkey from work anyway.

Shredding the thigh and leg works well. I cook them without a foil cover till 160 degrees with butter in the pan to help brown pieces. Then add lipton onion soup mix, sage, rosemary, garlic or just broth. Whatever you like. Cook covered till it is fall apart usually around the 200 degree mark. Here's a couple old photos.

Aaron Franklin does a great tasting breast foiled with lots of butter on youtube. It's very good.

20170904_122843.jpg

20170904_161225.jpg

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/poultry/pulled-turkey-sandwiches

This Traeger recipe recommends an internal temperature of 180 degrees. I'm sure it will work fine. Worst comes to worst you just have to carve the meat off the bone and chop it up a little. I bet it will taste delicious.

Brine and inject the turkey. Pull at 155 and then foil it and cook to 180. It will be fantastic.  If you can cook it at 350 to start off and crisp the skin first it will be better yet. I like either lowreys or cookies seasoning on the skin. 

On 8/6/2018 at 11:29 AM, snagfinder said:

Had shredded turkey at a friends house that he bought that was delicious. Just curious if anyone knows what temp to cook it to so it will shred nicely. I already tried yesterday but results are unknown cause it took to long so it went in fridge and I went to bed. I smoked until breast hit 155 then removed the breast and put in pan with chicken stock and covered back on grille til 180. Hoping stock kept it from drying out. Will find out after work tonite.

So........how did the turkey work out?