• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First time turkey hunting. If you brought only one turkey caller which one?

MidCoast

Hey guys,

Can you guys give me advice on which turkey caller to buy and use for turkey hunting?  This is my first time ever turkey hunting.  There are so many turkey callers and different style on the market and  I have no clue on which one to buy and use.  Any help will be much appreciated.  

Thanks in advance. 

Here is what I use:

-woodhaven mouth calls

-custom 12 inch box call I bought on hsolist.

-HS owl call

-Roberts Brothers pot call

-HS strikers 

My favorite call is the pot call. I can make a ton of different sounds and can vary my volume a lot too. 

D7E2AAC1-10A6-4C9A-80BF-584DCCCD8CD9.jpeg

I have tried them all, box, slate, diaphragm mouth calls.

I like the mouth diaphragm calls because their hands free, no movement, work in the rain, can get very good volume when you need to call up and down large hills or valleys, small and compact to carry.

For a first timer, a box call is the easiest to learn and use.  I still really like my cherrywood box call.

Which everone you chose pick it up soon and practice, practice and practice.  Some significant others dont like listening to that beautiful music, so hanging out in the name cave my be in order!

Easiest to learn for most callers.

1. Push/ peg  box 

2. Slate

3. Boxcall

4. Diaphragm

5. Wishbone

Personally I'd start with a slate,(not glass) to start with and pick up a couple extra strikers to give it a variety of sounds.   Boxcall it a great call for windy days or long distance caller.  Can be versatile with practice. 

The push or peg calls are easy peasy.   But often are very high pitched.   But they do work.

For me, hands down, the winner is the box call. Very easy to use and sounds great. Pretty easy to make different sounds by simply adjusting speed and pressure. I carry around a small sporting goods store in my back pack. 2 boxes, slates, strikers, mouth calls, a push call, owl calls, gobble calls... I try them all from time to time but usually in the end they respond to an old HS Strut box...

Edited by paceman

My Quaker Boy Grand Old Master box call is my favorite call by a mile.  But I find that even though it's easy to make turkey sounds with but beginners struggle with volume control.  They sure sound sweet when you figure them out though.  Down side is they generally need to be dry to work.   So tougher to pull off in the rain unless you're in a blind. 

5 hours ago, Borch said:

My Quaker Boy Grand Old Master box call is my favorite call by a mile.  But I find that even though it's easy to make turkey sounds with but beginners struggle with volume control.  They sure sound sweet when you figure them out though.  Down side is they generally need to be dry to work.   So tougher to pull off in the rain unless you're in a blind. 

Good point about being dry!