• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thunder bucket tips and tricks

aczr2k

Finally going to start using the wheel house since its finished and it has a bathroom with only a thunder bucket.  What are some tips or ideas to keep this from being a disaster.  Since its my house ultimately I'll be the one cleaning it.  I know some of you have this figured out to a science I'm sure.  Thanks!

not letting people use it to go #2!!!  bring a portable and a heater with a bucket and black garbage bags or one friend once had a bathroom bag that you zipped close and looked like a biohazard bag.  Nothing worse than having someone's stench linger for awhile, while and after, they use the bathroom!  makes me gag thinking of it!  Also when they are done make sure they tie the bag shut and not sit the bag on the ice where it will freeze in!  :sick:

Thunder bucket - that’s a good one.

We use a portable chemical toilet.  The kind that is in two sections and has the pull open flapper.  In the winter we flush with a little lake water instead of hoping to not freeze the reservoir.  Use as little water as you can though!

Drop some blue treatment magic potion in the bottom for the odor control.

The problem is dumping it.  Hard to find a dump station in the winter.  We just dealt with emptying in the downstairs bathroom at our previous house.  It goes down.  Best to do it cold though!!!  The house we have now came with an RV hook up so I have my own dump station.  Makes things much easier.

Otherwise, yeah, dump in a bag and set it outside to freeze.

15 minutes ago, PRO-V said:

Bring along ashes from a wood fire and sprinkle a bit over it after each use. This is what the old timers used in their crash pots years ago. Works well.

That's more for maintaining an outdoor outhouse/hole in the ground. I'm not too sure you want to keep a bucket of excrement in your fish house all winter with a few layers of ash over it. At least I wouldn't want to.

We've used the bucket and bag method forever. I keep a toilet seat that you can put on top of a bucket lined with plastic in my house. When my son was young I think he just liked the idea of taking a carp in a bucket because it never failed, as soon as we got out to the house he would have to go! :)

How about sawdust? That is what all the tree huggers are using in 'dem 'der tiny house that they be dumping in.... turd to compost they say.... I don't care what you sprinkle on it - a turd is still a turd.

My brothers Ice Castle dumps a ton of heat into his biffy room; our True North does not.  A buddy went fishing with my brother one time and the thunder bucket was used and left in place with no defense.  My buddy had to leave - getting sick from smelling the cooking turd. :sick:

Keeping those things cold helps too!

5 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

My brothers Ice Castle dumps a ton of heat into his biffy room; our True North does not.  A buddy went fishing with my brother one time and the thunder bucket was used and left in place with no defense.  My buddy had to leave - getting sick from smelling the cooking turd. :sick:

Keeping those things cold helps too!

I'm an advocate for new bag each trip, each person takes care of their own bag. Throw it out to freeze in the cold when you are done, no more smell.

9 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

How about sawdust? That is what all the tree huggers are using in 'dem 'der tiny house that they be dumping in.... turd to compost they say.... I don't care what you sprinkle on it - a turd is still a turd.

They use a composting toilet but it appears that those things don't work in the cold. You need heat to compost.

Man there has been some really good and bad shaty ideas shared here!  :lol:

Find a cheap tote with a good sealing top, throw in a few moth balls. Leave it out side.  Bag the shat each time and throw it in the tote out side and put it in the back of the truck or trunk when you leave until you get home or where ever you can empty.  Key word: tight sealing top.

It will always for ever be the shat tote!  ;)

p.s: don't really want to use an old cooler because you want your dilly bars to freeze for the ride home! ;)

Edited by leech~~