• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bama

Big Dave2

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Final AP Rankings...

PSX_20200114_113608.jpg

Oh my...look at that...only 2 spots above the Minnesota Gophers.

Like I said before, if your team's benchmark is to be 2 spots behind a team that had one of it's worst seasons in a decade..... That could be why I'm not a Gopher's fan.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
43 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Like I said before, if your team's benchmark is to be 2 spots behind a team that had one of it's worst seasons in a decade..... That could be why I'm not a Gopher's fan.

Actually benchmarking the rise of Minnesota and the fall of Alabama.

Row the Boat

Ski-U-Mah

Go Gophers

Screenshot_20200114-122806_Chrome.jpg

33 minutes ago, Rick said:

Actually benchmarking the rise of Minnesota and the fall of Alabama.

Row the Boat

Ski-U-Mah

Go Gophers

Did you watch the two benchmark teams play last night? Either one of those teams would have beat the Goophers by 40+ points.

Goophers schedule is a little tougher next year. Want to bet on 11 wins?

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Did you watch the two benchmark teams play last night? Either one of those teams would have beat the Gophers by 40+ points.

Using your logic, the Minnesota Golden Gophers would have handily spanked Alabama rather than just beat them in a close one. ????

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Using your logic, the Minnesota Golden Gophers would have handily spanked Alabama rather than just beat them in a close one. ????

Goophers could have had their chance if they could have beat Iowa.

5 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Gophers could have had their chance if they could have beat Iowa.

The Minnesota Gophers are a young team Dave. Recruiting without the National hype machine the Crimson Rollovers have, as long as we have PJ Fleck the Rollovers will definitely be in range.

Honestly, an 11 win season, for the Minnesota Golden Gophers, next year wouldn't surprise me. It would be tough. Lot of really good teams in the B1G 10 and only 12 games, but it could happen.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:46 AM, Big Dave2 said:

That could be why I'm not a Gopher's fan.

In PJ Fleck's AFCA speech he mentioned that the Gophers beat an Auburn team with 58 recruits who were 4*. How many for MN? 5. Alabama Rollovers even more.

Those 4* comparison numbers are true (and were pretty much the same for Penn State's roster, too).

PJ has improved recruiting: we've moved from a point where we now get higher rated 3 stars, and our floor (at mid-level 3 stars) has also been raised.

The Gophers, however, are still a few years away from classes loaded with 4* players.

So, here's the deal, whether you like PJ or not: He has taken a team of well-selected 3* star players, augmented by a few key 4* (Coughlin, Bateman, Faalale and Dunlap) and molded them into a well-coached, synchronous team that easily stays with and/or beats the teams comprised of 4* (and 5*) players.

He is an inspirational coach who gets the absolute most out of his players.

You don't have to like PJ, but I find it really hard to understand how folks like @Big Dave2 can't respect him and the Minnesota  Golden Gophers for the results he has already achieved.

He is great at finding undervalued talent and at "coaching up" talent--just like Auburn and Alabama plagued by "coaching down" talent.

5 hours ago, Rick said:

In PJ Fleck's AFCA speech he mentioned that the Gophers beat an Auburn team with 58 recruits who were 4*. How many for MN? 5. Alabama Rollovers even more.

Those 4* comparison numbers are true (and were pretty much the same for Penn State's roster, too).

PJ has improved recruiting: we've moved from a point where we now get higher rated 3 stars, and our floor (at mid-level 3 stars) has also been raised.

The Gophers, however, are still a few years away from classes loaded with 4* players.

So, here's the deal, whether you like PJ or not: He has taken a team of well-selected 3* star players, augmented by a few key 4* (Coughlin, Bateman, Faalale and Dunlap) and molded them into a well-coached, synchronous team that easily stays with and/or beats the teams comprised of 4* (and 5*) players.

He is an inspirational coach who gets the absolute most out of his players.

You don't have to like PJ, but I find it really hard to understand how folks like @Big Dave2 can't respect him and the Minnesota  Golden Gophers for the results he has already achieved.

He is great at finding undervalued talent and at "coaching up" talent--just like Auburn and Alabama plagued by "coaching down" talent.

I'll be happy to respect him if he does it again. We haven't even seen his recruits yet. This team was mostly Kill's recruits and a few guys that committed to Western Michigan.  

Even if he does end up being the phenom coach that you think he is and has a few more good years he'll be out of here as fast as Lou Holtz.

Enjoy your good year and hope for the best.

35 minutes ago, JBMasterAngler said:

We haven’t seen any of Fleck’s recruits? Are you sure about that? Tanner Morgan, Daniel Faalele, Mohamed Ibrahim, Roshad Bateman, and Chris Autman-Bell are all his guys.

I didn't say we haven't seen "any", I did make reference to the guys he flipped from Western Michigan. I'm just saying we haven't seen a full team comprised of Fleck's recruits yet. 

Relax, time will tell if Fleck has already peaked or if this is the start of a Gopher dynasty.