• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern

33 minutes ago, Cooperman said:

Looks delicious Eyeguy!

I read an article in the Minnesota conservation volunteer about the old timers in Mn. always left the skin on their northerns because it gave a lot of flavor to the fish? I don't know, maybe? Or was it because they didn't have sharp enough fillet knives?

That way ya only burn the skin in the pan. :grin:

I recall an old friend of my dad's so maybe born 1910 or so, from up nort, always wanting us to leave the skin on the lake trout.  "That's the best part, he said.

Milton Mattson. Hunter, bowhunter, conservationisr. 

Yeah, I tried skin-on northern in a foil pack once because my buddy said it was the best.  He even cooked it because I was skeptical and I wanted to make sure it was being done correctly.  I hate throwing out meat that I harvested, but I couldn't get through it.  Whatever was on the skin (slime, etc) was not removed sufficiently. Maybe on an open grill it wouldn't be an issue, but in foil it just steamed in all that slimy nastiness. Crumpled it up in its foily tomb and in the trash she went. Might work better with walleye, much less slime.  Pike, probably among all other game fish, you really have to treat carefully when cleaning. Once clean white meat touches slime, it can really affect the taste.

I cleaned mine up real good. used a knife and scraped against the grain real good. buddy told me then to cut slices in the meat the grease would make the bones disappear, that it did but the flavor was aweful.

I leave the skin on sunfish.........scaled. that's it.

eyes I will leave the skin on only when I will put them on the grill with scales on......I discard the skin after consuming the fillet! 

On 5/15/2016 at 7:38 AM, eyeguy 54 said:

coat with olive oil. then lemon pepper and some cajun powder. lay some sliced onion and lemon on top then a little fresh ground pepper. I also put some cherry wood chips in aluminium and set it in there.  2 burners so I heat it up with one then add the fish, then turn the burner on with the wood chips on it. about 350 works nice. 

Next time give us all ample time to arrive before dinner and have plenty of beer on hand!!! :cool: