• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New "Good Morning" thread

6 minutes ago, bobberineyes said:

Boy did I miss a bunch, ol jig saw musta been hitting the Kool aid, sorry for stiring. Been rather busy, brought home a ram 2500 that's a monster last night, thank God it was on the garage when the storm hit. My tomato plants in buckets tipped over, I lost several green ones but hopefully they'll rebound.  I as well smurf treat the plants to epsom,  they've responded nicely to regular feedings. Well my pillow is calling.....See ya!!!!

hey.........I aint no average garden dummy!!!!!!!!!!!:grin::D

51 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Another good morning...got flattened by storms again, two hours ago. What a mess. dump everywhere. More severe ones coming this  afternoon. Enjoy your day, guys.

Just maybe if you lived a cleaner lifestyle......... just saying!:grin:

Morning folks. Back to the negotiating table the next 2 days.

4 minutes ago, roony said:

Branches, apples, one busted hummingbird feeder.....We also got 3.2 inches of rain here early this morning.

3.2 inches?! Cripes!  We've had 3" here in the last two days. Howz those 'mato's taking the weather, roony? Mine are under the "storm tarp", and it's staying there until tomorrow!  I've got that sucker spiked and tied down! Nothing's gonna wreck my 'maters....:angry:

DSC02343.JPG

They are ok, the wind tossed them around a bit. I need to put my secondary cages up but it's just too muddy to even think about that for a while. I have green beans I could pick but I don't feel like fighting the mud and skeeters for them either. 

Careful smurfy or Reb will want to "fix" you! Of course you can probably outrun him if he's on his new mower. :) Feeling pretty fortunate so far. 1.21" in the overnight at the ranch, real close to 3" for the week. A guy at Waldorf claimed to have had 4" overnight. Some leaves and small branches scattered around after last night but nothing major. Glad I got the 1st tomato cages on. The way the 'maters are growing since the rain though, can see they'll need something more substantial eventually. Need to make a trek to DQ and then to roony's. Like to see his plot again and how he fashions these secondary cages. I have a bunch of that heavier gauge woven wire that should work for that. We should also be able to clean out his grove for when we go visit del. ;) :D 

For extra support on them mater cages I drive stakes in the ground of the garden thru the wire cage. The stakes are anything from an old broom handle to  2 by whatever ripped down to about 1 1)2 inch thick.

I wire electric fence posts inside the store bought cages to support them otherwise they tip over readily in the wind. Must be from all that wind coming out of a couple characters over in Rochester! ;) Trouble is the 'maters grow out of the confines of the cages pretty quickly and parts of the plants end up sprawled on the ground. Sorta defeats the purpose of the cage. What I'm looking to do is possibly insert a woven wire cages inside the initial cages or attach them around the outside, With 27 cages to deal with, while it will be time consuming, it would likely be worth it.

19 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I use cages made of 2 by 4 welded wire around trees.  Or you could use the mesh they put in concrete.  It has bigger holes for picking

Is there any room left between the trees and wire for the tomatos?   :grin:

15 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Is there any room left between the trees and wire for the tomatos?   :grin:

I don't grow tomatoes since we are in the north during the season.  And poor growing conditions here.

I've looked at that concrete mesh del and while it would be nice and stiff, I already have plenty of woven wire. Don't use it with the woollies anymore as they tear eartags out on it if/when they stick their heads through the fence. Based on my somewhat foggy memory of what roony's cages looked like, it provides about an ideal sized space to both support the plants and allow ease of picking. Actually I have a lighter and a heavier gauge woven wire so can experiment to see which works better. 

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

I usually end up tying so many stalks with string for support it looks like friggin' downtown Bangladesh electric company. ;)

Where is that "that's racist" gif when I need it.....:lol: