• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rodgers Cabelas ?

Those rumors are flying around about all of them now since it came out they are having some trouble and Bass Pro could potentially buy them out.  I really doubt that one will close, if Gander can somehow stay in business I think Cableas is fine.

There is all kinds of speculation about the future of Cabelas.  They had a bad quarter and now an activist investor has emerged with an 11% stake in the company.  Wall street is speculating that a number of things could happen. 

-The company is taken private.

-The company is broken up (credit card unit would be very valuable)

-Store closures and more

Nobody knows what's on the table yet. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-28/cabela-s-soars-after-activist-elliott-associates-takes-11-stake?cmpid=yhoo.headline

The only time I go there now is every fall I get a $10 gift card from Pheasants Forever, I had to pick up some shells for my wife so I ran into the one in Baxter looks nothing like what it did 5 years ago, prices were marked incorrect and it took forever to check out and the store was empty.

For those with points stored up on your Cabela's card...I'd be watching very closely.  I used most of mine up when I heard the news.  Who knows what will happen, but I certainly envision some kind of significant changes occurring if Bass Pro Shops takes over on January 1.  http://www.examiner.com/article/bass-pro-shop-and-cabela-s-should-bristol-worry-now

I agree with MJ1657, I will never step foot in gander mtn again. I will drive an hour to cabelas before I drive 15 min to gander.  What kind of "hunting store" takes their mounts down?? 

That would be a huge bummer if they closed. However bass pro has great customer service over the phone, as well as in the store. In my experience. Unlike...  

The cabelas in Woodbury is pretty dang new, but I guess if you've got the money to buy cabelas you've got the money to update and change a few stores.  I hope it's not true. 

A merger could be a good thing.  Cabelas has been expanding all over, Bass Pro was more of a southern thing.  They could likely benefit from some cost synergies and reduced overhead by having one tower full or bureaucrats vs two.  My guess is they both need to do something to compete with Amazon before there's not enough business to keep the snazzy stores open. 

It'd kill the value of the cabelas bank if they screwed up the rewards program.  I know I contribute more to the bottom line via my card than I do my merchandise purchases. 

I own stock in Cabelas and it was an interesting ride sliding 20% after their earnings miss and then shooting up 20% within a week when the activist disclosed his position. 

It is highly unlikely (IMO) that anything negative would happen with their credit card division/points balances.  It would be a violation of the contract they had with the consumer, and would be very problematic to try to screw the little guy.  

It is highly unlikely (IMO) that anything negative would happen with their credit card division/points balances.  It would be a violation of the contract they had with the consumer, and would be very problematic to try to screw the little guy.  

Hope you're right, but wouldn't be surprised if you're wrong