• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leveling floor questions

bobbymalone

I'm installing a gun cabinet in the basement and my concrete floor isn't quite level.  It slopes downward from the wall enough that a pencil will  just start to roll off the top.  If I push it up flush with the wall, there is probably a 3/8 inch gap at the bottom of the front of the cabinet.  It doesn't help that there a couple chunks of hardened mortar that must have fallen on the floor while they were laying the masonry blocks, so there are some raised bumps on the floor right at the wall.  Figured I could chip that off, but it's still not level.

Any suggestions?  I've thought about evening it out with a bit of quick-crete, just where the cabinet will sit.   But wasn't sure if that's going to be a huge pain as a DIYer.  Also thought about just putting some wood shims under it, but I'd like to anchor it to the floor/wall and didn't think that some shims under it would really be the best idea.

Edited by bobbymalone

They sell some stuff made for leveling floors.  It makes like a soupy mortar when mixed with the latex stuff that goes with it. 

Something like this... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-555-Level-Pro-40-lb-Self-Leveling-Underlayment-12165/100549588

quick-crete has rock aggregate in it so that might be a little problem. Sand mix or mortar mix ought to work.  The self leveling stuff is more expensive, but is easier.  You put a frame around where you want it and pour it in.  That's what I did when putting a stall shower in our cabin that had a little bow to the floor. 

Shims might work, use green wood, but can be really tricky to get the right height on them to make the safe level and square to the wall. 

Edited by delcecchi

Don't think leveling it off with acrylic cement, a floor leveler, or sand mortar mix would be a problem. Personally would just eyeball/maybe a little string line..... it with a large drywall knife and a thicker mix. Suppose you could always build a little form as well  if needing it perfect with a runnier mixture.

Looks like Del was here first.

Edited by pushbutton

I don't see anything wrong with shiming it up. If you busted the chunk out and it's fairly flush it's going to be a lot easier than trying to feather out floor leveler to spot on level. Pick up a piece of cheap lattice, and get it under enough so you can't see it and screw it to the wall. Throw down a rug in front of it and call it good ( that's what I did with mine anyhow which has been there along time).

Shimming can be difficult unless the situation is such that you can use the wedge shims.  If the shims need to be under the unit, it is really tricky.  My buddy and I wasted a good part of a day trying to shim the bottom of a shower stall in my cabin.  The shims needed to be underneath the floor pan.   Finally realized it was basically impossible and went with the cement leveler.  A couple hours later we were done. 

If just doing the carpenter framing trick like installing a prehung door where you pound in the wedge until stuff is lined up, that's different. 

Its not like your gun safe is as disposable or invaluable as a cardboard box of old magazines sitting in the corner somewhere.

I'm not that keen on storing firearms in the most humid place in a home but for sure I wouldn't want a gun safe in contact with a cement floor on top of that.    If the floor got wet and being its a basement chances are it will, you don't want a permanent fixture sitting in water. A cool slab and humid air will have condensation on it and reason I suggested an air space.

Mine came with some 3x3's on the bottom so it could be moved with a dolly and I left them on.  I agree with Surface Tension that having the metal in direct contact with the cement is just asking for trouble.  I also bought an electric heater that is barely warm and it sits in the cabinet and keeps the moisture level down and the guns drier.  Consider putting some 2X or 4X material under the safe and if needed trim it to get a level surface.

They sell some stuff made for leveling floors.  It makes like a soupy mortar when mixed with the latex stuff that goes with it. 

Dropped this in yesterday.   Thanks for the tip, del.  Worked like a charm.

I might raise it up off the concrete for the reasons listed above, but at least I'm starting with a level surface now.  I'm not really that concerned.  It might the basement, but it's also just about the least humid space in the house.  This also isn't a $5000 safe.  It's a $200 cabinet.  Basically a gym locker on steroids.