• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beef Bottom Sirloin Or Ball Tip Roast Smokin

I've had bottom sirloin before but just cut for steaks.  Always have marinaded them because of their leanness.  So Cubs had them on sale and I asked for a whole one.  Told them to get me a big one because they normally run on the small side.  I had to wait a couple of days so they could find me a big one during their cutting process.  Pay's to get to know your butcher.  So the one I got was 4 1/2 pounds, and that is about as big as they get.  I used to cut a lot of those and seldom ran into one's larger than that.  They are lean so I injected the roast  and covered it with bacon on the outside to keep the roast on the moist side.  I set the smoker at 250 deg.  I added some smoke early [couple of loads of oak/maple mix].  I pulled the roast out when the internal was 130 deg.  Set the roast on the counter to rest a bit, covered it with foil.  I had some aujus going that I made up ahead of time.  Sliced the roast up for sandwiches and plopped the slices in the aujus to keep them moist.  Here are some pics:

IMG_2198.thumb.jpg.e714882469ab08b281957

Here is the bottom sirloin roast.  No fat cap and lean.

IMG_2199.thumb.jpg.328f0190270667fb7a023

Here I have injected the roast.

IMG_2200.thumb.jpg.dc95e9488a6190d9136e6

Wrapped it up in bacon.  I normally don't do this but with a lean roast like this I want to retain as much moisture as I can.

IMG_2202.thumb.jpg.0606cc1185d0f529c8b9f

Not done yet but I'm getting there.  Ya, I don't have one of those digital thermometers.  Still old school, but I'm planning on getting one.

IMG_2203.thumb.jpg.4699520e91ea2fdfa81d9

Slicing the roast up.

IMG_2207.thumb.jpg.0dfa7d9e34309f83fe887

Nice and pink and tender as a butchers heart.

IMG_2211.thumb.jpg.b3c2782b4849b2f24b34e

Put the slices in my aujus.  Very important with lean cuts.  Otherwise the meat dry's out.

IMG_2213.thumb.jpg.1eb4d269c35c7b8ac9b51

Put some of those slices in a hoagie bun and chomped away.  good luck.

Thanks everyone!  Flash,  One of my favorite aujus recipe's is very simple.  Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix with garlic that I add myself.  Just follow the box instructions and add to the soup what you want.   Pretty simple but it works for me.  good luck.

How do you make you Au Jus?  Recipe?

I use a cup of beef broth (I use bouillon), 1/4 cup of soy, then a pinch of celery salt and a pinch of garlic pepper. Whisk together and simmer for a few minutes and serve. Makes a good jus... Obviously a bit on the salty side, but very flavorful.

And ditto to reindhard1 being back! This thread took a precipitous drop when you were away. Glad to see you here teasing our taste buds again!

Edited by pikestabber

We don't find it necessary, and try to refrain from, pointing out minor  grammatical "errors" of long-time contributing members, or judge people's perceived education on this page or forum. However, I'll take the opportunity to do just that by informing you of the above. Maybe as a newbie that didn't occur to you. There is another forum where you can do that to your heart's content.

Edited by RebelSS