• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CANADIAN BACON

Great post, Sir!! And pics! Thank you! That's EXACTLY what I had for Breakfast this am!! (Bottom pic)  Mom 'n Pop store had 1 lb pkgs of it this Spring for blow out price of $1.99 pkg. I grabbed six.  :grin:

Edited by RebelSS

You can get it at Fleet Farm where they sell the grinders and seasonings.  Pretty cheap also. At Fleet Farm it's the LEM brand and called Backwoods flavor enhancers  cure.  It shows how much to use on the back.  If you got any questions on it just ask.  It's important to use the right amount.  good luck.

Did a dry cure last winter and wow did that turn out awesome. It didn't last long. Wet cure looks great from your pictures and gives me motivation to get cooking! Thanks for the post and look forward to your buckboard bacon thread!

One of these days I'm going to have to try your wet cure.  Have you ever tried injecting some of the cure into the loins, then immersing them in the cure?  I've been doing that with simple brines and it works pretty good.

Glad you chimed in Thirdeye!!!  You are the one I credit with really getting me going with Canadian bacon in the first place.  I have used Your  dry cure many times with boneless loins and buckboard and it works awesome.  This wet brine is just easier and the results are the same in my opinion.  Just have to make sure the meat is submerged and I do that with a gallon zip lock bag filled half way with cold water when needed.  I do inject the brine for example if I bone out a whole butt and net it for buckboard.  With boneless loins I often use my meat tenderizer to put some holes in the meat for more absorption of the brine.  You cant go wrong with injection with a lot of meats. I want to buy a pork belly to use this brine on as well and cold smoke it with the AMPS smoking tube instead of hot smoking it.  I still follow you Thirdeye on facebook.  Glad you still are here as well.  good luck.

You can get it at Fleet Farm where they sell the grinders and seasonings.  Pretty cheap also. At Fleet Farm it's the LEM brand and called Backwoods flavor enhancers  cure.  It shows how much to use on the back.  If you got any questions on it just ask.  It's important to use the right amount.  good luck.

I see mills has a bunch of different paks.  any one work?  how about hi mountain?  I have a bunch.

I see this must be the one.  not listed at mills online.  just tons of others.  I'll pop out there to see. 

9208.jpg

That's the pack that I have and use.  Not sure about High Mountain.  Normally in their jerky packs they have tenderquick instead of cure #1.  I have used Nesco packs which is pretty much the same as High Mountain.  Nesco uses tenderquick also.  Those two brands have the proper amount of cure  [both tenderquick and cure #1 are cures, however different in make-up and amounts used per pound of meat] in their seasoning packages.  That LEM pack you posted is cure #1 [often called the pink salt]. and I use that for brine's and all my smoked sausage.  Morton tenderquick is often used in jerky and dry brines.  good luck.

Made some more Canadian bacon.  I used Pop's Brine above in the first post.  It was in the brine for 9 days.  Put the two 5 pound pieces in the smoker yesterday.  Will cut them in half today and vac pack them.  good luck.IMG_2661.jpg.7e13723ca60bd8c2e3b7960536d

IMG_2662.jpg.846b68e7dfde4d5bf42e3321b3a

IMG_2663.jpg.bea3ebc8295da92ac68f5cb230d

RH1,

I made your canadian bacon and brought it out to the fish house this last weekend with a couple groups of friends. It was a big hit, the 1 1/3 loin that I made got devoured. I got 2 more loins to drop in the pop's brine for today.

I picked up a case of pork butt for $1.12 per pound at Sams yesterday and am going to make some of your buckboard bacon. There were ten roast in there. Thanks for all your good info!

Thanks Grainbelt!!  LBG, the length of time that something is in the brine depends on the thickness [volume] of meat.  Shorter times are usually for fish and chicken.  Boneless pork loins usually require 9 days.  Whole pork butts longer, and a whole ham for example [fresh whole ham] takes up to 30 days.  Canadian Bacon requires cure#1 so that also play's part in the length of time.  good luck.