• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many gas additives do I really need?

mrpike1973

Ok, I had a 15 hp Yamaha just traded for a new 20 hp Yamaha 4 stroke motor. I always buy non oxy gas and used to put marine stabil in and yamalube ring free. When I bought this motor I was told i need to use these 3 additives Yamalube fuel stabilizer and conditioner, Yamalube ring free plus fuel additive, and mercury Quickleen fuel system cleaner. I have a 3 gallon fuel tank I usually mix all the above ingredients in a 5 gallon plastic can and add as i need it. so 1. do i need all these? 2. having a hard time figuring out how much I need in ounces for each one some say 1 ounce to 5 gallons and I'm only mixing for 3 gallons. I didn't think that every time I needed gas. I have to turn into a mad scientist mixing all this together any advice or help would be great.

Ring free is good to use once in a while if you do a lot of slow trolling where they can get carbon build up and stick. Stabilizer and conditioner is really only needed for long term storage when the gas may break down. Not sure how that will happen if your burning up a tank full every other weekend! Cleaner maybe once or twice a summer. Some of it is just burning cash! wink

Ring free is good to use once in a while if you do a lot of slow trolling where they can get carbon build up and stick. Stabilizer and conditioner is really only needed for long term storage when the gas may break down. Not sure how that will happen if your burning up a tank full every other weekend! Cleaner maybe once or twice a summer. Some of it is just burning cash! wink

Agree!

Not sure on the additives. I still run some two strokes outboards and other two cycle equipment and had the same problem of mixture until I found this plastic measuring jar at the K-store. It is broken down in 1/2 gallon of gas up to 20 gal and 5 different mixture ratios, No more guessing when mixing a odd amount of gas

I agree with the above. Most depends on your use. In the Spring/early summer I use only straight non-oxy gas as I use my boat a lot more. Mid-summer, I usually through in some SeaFoam as my gas/boat may sit for a good month without use. Then fall comes and it's straight non-oxy gas again.

Now, ask my 'ol man...he's been running straight 87 reg gas since he's owned a boat and never had any problems.

I never use non-oxygenated fuel. Nothing I own recommends it including my 2009 F150, my wife's 2014 Ford Edge, and my 2011 Etec and I have not experienced any problems with it, even for those things that sit for extended periods such as my chain saw which rarely gets used, my ice auger that sits all summer, my lawn mowers, tiller, and boat that sit all winter.

The only reason I use an additive for my Etec is because Evinrude/Johnson 2+4 is recommended in my owner's manual and I want to protect my warranty.

Always use stabil and ring free in my Yamaha 150. I believe it is cheap insurance so that I don't have any issues. One repair of a few hundred dollars I way more expensive than using stabil and ring free. Just my humble opinion. 2c

Always use stabil and ring free in my Yamaha 150. I believe it is cheap insurance so that I don't have any issues. One repair of a few hundred dollars I way more expensive than using stabil and ring free. Just my humble opinion. 2c

That can be a slippery slope....