• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brock Lesnar playing for the Vikes?

bassman186

I just Heard on ESPN that Former WWE wrestler Brock Lesnar has agreed to a deal with the Vikings, Did others hear this an does antone have more details on the Deal that was made? Plus what do you all think about this?

Matt

Yes, it's true. Just read in on the viking update web page. Seems odd to me that they would sign someone like that and have to cut another player that is working hard to try and make the team.
From what they said on the vikingupdate, he was signed to a rookie minimum (a salary cut ten fold from what he would have made in the WWF), with hopes of making the practice squad as a defensive lineman.

The guy they cut was most likley not going to make the team. You probably wont see him (Lessner) play in a game for a while. I saw an interview with Tice last night and he said that they want to get him on the practice squad for a while then maybe send him to NFL Europe. But you'd think when the Vikes are beating the Pack 52-0 this year, Tice would let him see some action.

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 07-28-2004).]

"The Superstar" has been talking about this for months. There was also a large full page article in the Strib last month too.

I say give the guy a shot. He's big, he's fast and he has the mentality and personality to get it done. In a few years, he may turn into something special, and we got him for pretty much nothing. Anyone who turns down multi-millions to persue his dream is ok by me!

Tom, I listen to Mike Morriw here too. I was shocked the day Lesnar said he wanted to play football. I think he will make it personally. Not just cause Im a Vikings fan, he just has so much raw power, how can he not? You dont have to be an Albert Einstien to be a lineman anyways, hell I was one smile.gif

He will have a significant learning curve as he has not played football for over 10 years, plus he will have to learn a new position.

I saw this in the media a few weeks ago and the "football experts" felt he was a long shot that may take two or more years to pan out. He has great speed, but will need to work on technique at length. The practice squads are larger now so they have additional room.

I would not expect to see him play a down this year as they would not activate him unless he became a monster on special teams.

Like Morris and others have said, his wrestling background will help him imensely. Playing on the D line is all about leverage, being able to outmanuver your opponent. Remember, Brock was a National champion wrestler, forget about his showbiz stint with the WWE, this guy has skills that many D linemen only wish they had. Give him 2 years and he will be a solid back-up if not a starter. Look for him to go to NFL Europe next year and destroy some QB's. Vikes got a steal here, barring injury and how fast he learns the scheme.

Do you think he can pass the drug test?

He has said that go ahead and test him. He was something like 5'8" 200 lbs in 4th grade... Grew up working on a farm in SD...

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

I truly believe Brock is 100% clean. He works out like a mad-man and he's one of those guys who is a freak of nature. Like taxman said.....

There's a lot more to it than just having a big kiester...lol

You need to be able to recognize offensive schemes, stunts, or whatever, and know what to do when you see them and know what the offense is going to do. Thats why these guys spend countless hours watching film and studying the other team.

It will be interesting to say the least. From interviews I've read from him he is 100% clean. He works out like a nut.

And like someone else had said. If he is willing to take a Multi-Million Dollar pay cut to pursue his dream well he's okay in my book.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

It only takes a fat a## to play?
If you know anything about football, you would know how mnuch time is spent breaking the other teams offense down, you would have your eyes opened up pretty quickly at the the things you see watching film. Football is 90% planning and preparation, its nice to know when they line up in a slot right hog formation and have a zap motion and know they can only run two plays out of it. Go Brock, he losing millions leaving the wwe, to play. So what if it takes two years to develop. As far as that guy getting cut? The best players will play, simnple as that, not like lesnar isnt working and just floating through it.
Best fishes
Chris

Hey guys! You just watch this guy. He is WILL be something special in football in the near future. You do not become an NCAA Wrestling Champion without studying your opponent on film, lots of film, and planning several moves in a row when in the match. Does some of this sound familiar?

Further, I hear that he and No.99, have been friends for several years and will mentor him at the DT position. I think Mister Lesnar will do quite well in the NFL.

For a person who has not played competitive football since the mid 90's, I highly doubt he will even make the practice squad. I can see him playing NFL Europe for a few seasons to get the experience he is lacking before he can fully compete for a roster spot on any team.

As Brock mentioned in a news conference the major hurdle will be the mental side of the game, as he is physically ready and capable it appears.

------------------
1...2...bam got him

I guess the Vikes didn't need his inside presance...they still intercepted the almighty Brett favre 5 times in two games! Imagine what a little pressure will do tohim this year. Kevin Williams looks like the real deal, Hovan is decent, Udeze "should" be a heck of a good player... but you never know how many Jamal Reynolds will be drafted.

Could he do any worse than Derrick Alexander (The DE), Duane Clemons, or my favorite Dimitrius Underwood. He's got the things you can't teach and seems to have a good attitude. I just hope Favre plays long enough to get to know Mr. Lesnar personally.

Hey? He can't be that bad. . . they're saying during the KC vs. Vikes scrimmage today he's been getting some sacks & the crowd is going crazy (according to the radio)!

------------------
Got One!