• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2015 State Record

MuskieFever

Now that I have your attention, do you think the MN state record will be broken this year? What's your biggest bass caught in MN? Lets see some pictures!

I myself can't break the 6 pound mark. I've caught many 4-5's but not a 6.. Yet.

A half decade ago I caught a 24" 7 pound 2 ounce largemouth on waconia fishing muskies. Bit on a figure 8, Double D crank bait and 80lb braid for those of you that know the bait and line thats not normal especially on a figure 8, however thats not even close to whatvever the 9lb record is, and I doubt the record will be beat this season. I wish all of you the best though smile

I think that 9lb mark will take a while to topple. That's a big fish. Ive put a few 6lb basss in the boat (and one lost one that dwarfed 6lbs) and they came from a few lakes that consistently put out big fish. By big fish Im not saying 4s and some 5s. Sure 4s and 5s are big fish but the lake Im referring to put out multiple 6s yearly for our group even a fish in the mid 7lb range (RIP Pelican). You have to do your research and put yourself on those big fish waters if you want to catch big fish (sorry for the John Madden impersonation).

I came shy of a little over 1#. I released it hoping for it to be a state record. Fished it year after year but never caught it again. That was over 5-6 years ago.

Also curious, besides name and recognition, what do you get for breaking the state record?

I came shy of a little over 1#. I released it hoping for it to be a state record. Fished it year after year but never caught it again. That was over 5-6 years ago.

Also curious, besides name and recognition, what do you get for breaking the state record?

Lots of Groopie Hoochies.

You mean if I caught it on my Shimano Rod and Reel Combo, spooled with Gama line on a Yamamoto Senko, with a Mustad Hook........while wearing my Costas which allowed me to see the fish perfectly???? I don't think you get anything....

You mean if I caught it on my Shimano Rod and Reel Combo, spooled with Gama line on a Yamamoto Senko, with a Mustad Hook........while wearing my Costas which allowed me to see the fish perfectly???? I don't think you get anything....

Made me laugh.

I personally think the state record smallie is swimming in Mille Lacs. If there are that many 4-5 pounders in there, there's bound to be at least one around 8 pounds.

Fun story for all of you. At one point, I would've put money the state record largemouth was in a small lake in west-central MN. A relative of mine owns property on a small lake around 200-300 acres. A few years of high water connected a neighboring lake that is a quality largemouth lake. For a few years, fishing was incredible. 4-5 pounders were common.

One of the neighbors caught and kept (unfortunately) a 21.5"er that tipped scales at 7 pounds! The following year, my uncle, an avid angler lands the biggest bass any of us had heard of. Now believe what you want, but this bass measured at 24". This is where we all begin to question the story. He had no camera and no scale... My cousin was with him and backs the story. I wish he had a picture to add credibility... How much did that fish weigh? We will never know. Since then the populations shot up and unfortunately you can't keep 1 pounders away. Ahh the golden days.

Here's a pic of my brothers 5.5 pounder from spring 2013:

c605ea9a-79dd-47bd-a7c9-dee51e385daa_zps

Lets say one did catch a state record. Posted a picture with a strike king crank hanging off its mouth, holding a shimano rod and reel, wearing a gloomis hat, standing off a ranger boat with a knock off rolex watch and columbia fishing apparel. Why would any of these guys give you a bonus when you already posted a free ad for them?

Lets say one did catch a state record. Posted a picture with a strike king cranking hanging off its mouth, holding a shimano rod and reel, wearing a gloomis hat, standing off a ranger boat with a knock off rolex watch and columbia fishing apparel. Why would any of these guys give you a bonus when you already posted a free ad for them?

You would get very little. You would probably get some free equipment, a sponsorship, possibly a few grand, but not much more. A few years ago one of my buddies shot the MN state record whitetail (for a muzzle loader). Everyone told him he was going to be raking in the cash. They thought Cabela's was going to buy his mount for $100K, he would get free this and that. None of it came to fruition. Now a world record whitetail or bass...

Also, don't wear a Gloomis hat while holding a Shimano rod and reel, you'll wreck your chances with both sponsors wink. Edit: Nvmd, forgot Shimano bought Loomis. I think that would be a good look for you.

It's does bring up the question: If you caught a 9lber, would you keep it? I'm not sure I guess if I would, but don't think I have to worry about it anytime soon! grin

But if someone does catch it and keeps it, I would have nothing against it.

I do think with the early season this year, there is a chance for people to break some PB's. Should be some fatter bass out there for the first few weeks.

I'm surprised there's never been a verified 9+lb bass caught in Minnesota. With the number of lakes and the number of anglers, I would think it would have happened by now. Yeah there's a short growing season, but there has to be a few of them out there, especially when you consider these states/provinces all have 10+lbers.

Illinois 13-1

Connecticut 12-14

Massachusetts 15-8

Michigan 11-9

New Hampshire 10-8

New York 11-4

Idaho 10-15

Wisconsin 11-3

Iowa 10-12

Maine 11-10

Ontario 10-4

Only 3 states have a smaller state record than MN. It seems wrong crazy .

Rumor has it, many 9+ lbs were caught, they were just eaten.

I searched MN regulation on catch and release but couldn't find the answer. If one was to catch a state record during catch and release season, would it count? My guess is no b/c you can't keep it. Thoughts?

I would put it in the livewell and immediately call the DNR. I would ask them if I could have it verified, and if not, I would let it go. Without giving them my name of course smile

One of the reasons the MN record is so small is because we did a complete redo of the record a while back because of suspicions of some being Florida fish, I think even one guy admitted to it.

WI's state record was probably a Florida fish too.

Some more info I got from the DNR when I asked about this:

Here is a timeline on the State Record Largemouth Bass.

The largemouth bass record of 8 lb 15 oz stood from 1944 to 1961, when it was broken by a 10 lb 2 oz fish from Prairie Lake, Itasca County. This bass record stood for another 20 years, based on an affidavit provided by the lucky angler, with no picture or record of a weigh-in. Department of Natural Resource Fisheries disqualified this recorded in 1982 and replaced it with 9 lb 6.5 oz fish caught in 1961. This largemouth bass, along with several others, were either disqualified or not certified from the period 1982-1985. In 1985, after clearing several suspicious records, Department of Natural Resource Fisheries accepted new largemouth bass applications from anglers for bass 7 pounds and larger. In the coming months, a string of new largemouth records were set and broken. In fall 1986, the record climbed to 8 lb 9.5 oz.; in 1994 to 8 lb 12.5 oz. In 2005 a new record was established for with a 8 lb 15 oz bass.

Hope this helps!

Hook'em Where it Counts, On the Great Outdoors!

Mike "Cold Front" Kurre