• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sweet November

triggertrav

FYI – hang on fellas, this will be a long ride, just want to forewarn you.

Kansas Baby! Kansas! - The text or phone call with this greeting will always bring a smile to me, recalling the trip of 2013 KS 2013 - and the decision to give it another crack in 2014 was a no brainer. So with that, planning started in April – draw deadline for the great state of KS. We started with the same group that was there last year – five of us, yet to have one drop out right before draw deadline. With that, we had an open seat for auction to the highest bidder. grin Even though we had some great offers, we asked the person who had whined the most about why we didn’t ask him to join us the first year….he hadn’t ever spent a day in the tree with a bow – that’s right a virgin to bowhunting. But we gave him the chance to pick up a bow and if there were leftover tags for our area, he was all for it.

Draw date cam in July and there were leftover tags – we had a fifth guy coming with us this year again! And he had some work to do. I know he was excited to come with, but between me and my brother we were thrilled with the opportunity to drag our dad with us on one of these bowhunting trips. And for a 60 year old to pick up a bow for the first timeand learn a new hobby was quite the feat. Problem now is he is mad at himself for not doing it years ago.

The rest of us got to planning and we needed to figure out who was going to set trail cams 10 hours away. My brother thought it would be a great chance to take the family on a nice vacation to see his wife’s aunt, which happens to be in the same area we will be hunting. So off he went in September to set trail cameras for our hunt, or I mean to visit his in-laws. Either way we would have cameras to pull first thing when we arrive.

Fast forward to Mid-November – time to get everything loaded and ready for the road.

full-21628-52003-20141111_211310.jpg

Last year when we left we were looking at temps for day time highs in the 60’s. Different story this year.

full-21628-52004-screenshot_2014_11_11_1

With that forecast I made one extra run to Walmart for a pack of these, which are great in between two layers of socks on top of the toes in my boot. Sure makes it easier to sit when your toes are in pain.

full-21628-52005-20141111_124116.jpg

A nice little “good luck” letter from my 5 year-old daughter smirk

full-21628-52006-20141112_193149.jpg

After a half a day of driving, we pull into our camp around 9 that evening, get settled in, and have a couple nightcaps after a long awaited return. Morning to come shortly and first thing will be to set a couple stands and pull the cameras!

Friday morning

Up early Friday and we make a plan. With a pile of cameras to pull, we are expecting to get plenty of pics and a few new spots. By mid-day we had a few stands set and a few ‘target’ bucks, yet in reality we only saw maybe a couple of these deer.

full-21628-52009-cdy_0004.jpg

full-21628-52010-ek000042.jpg

full-21628-52011-ek000051(3).jpg

full-21628-52012-ek000206.jpg

full-21628-52013-ek000053.jpg

full-21628-52014-pict0294.jpg

full-21628-52015-pict0268.jpg

Time to hunt. After getting the old guy (Dad) set in his first Kansas tree, the rest of us grabbed stands and headed to the woods. My first night was in a location we refer to as “Hot Spot”, and as compared to last year, it was consistent with its name. I was about half way up hanging a stand and I already had deer on me. Just a little fellow, but my first KS deer I have seen from the tree.

Here is the view from one of the stands at ‘hotspot’.

full-21628-52034-20141114_163926.jpg

full-21628-52035-20141114_163855.jpg

As far as the action goes, I had does on me most of the evening. I got some nice video of a good 8 that was a frisky fellow.

Day 3

Sunday morning alarms go at 4:30. We had three alarms set in the same room to make sure we were up. With legal shooting at around 7:00, we had time to have some coffee and make sure we all had the plans set for the day. For me, I was heading in with my dad to sit till around 10 am, then I would leave him solo to finish out the day while I go get some stands set for the next couple of days. With about an inch of snow on the ground as we head out, temps were chilly and there was a strong NW wind. We were ready in the blind with plenty of time until shooting.

Not much of a wait and we have deer moving in on us. First group is 5 does/fawns. They work the draw we are sitting in and the last doe even hits a licking branch on her way by. After seeing that, I was anticipating an exciting morning.

South

full-21628-52067-20141116_081408.jpg

East

full-21628-52068-20141116_090723.jpg

North

full-21628-52069-20141116_081440(0).jpg

It was not much after the does that we saw a buck working through the thicket to our east heading our direction. I recognized this buck instantly as the same horny dog that I had seen 4-6 times the previous two days and it would be a borderline deer for my dad, considering this was his first year bowhunting. As it continues our way I prep my dad on how this is going to go down, or at least I thought I did. But when it came time to tell him to draw, he wasn’t ready? I repeat ‘draw!’ as the buck continues right at us. Still nothing from dad. One more ‘Draw!’ and he starts the process. Problem is now the buck is about five feet outside of the blind and he easily heard the arrow clanking and banging around on the shaky over exited draw of a rookie with a good buck in range. The deer splits. I look at dad and he looks at me. Grins back and forth, like ‘what just happened?’ Apparently, he had not seen the deer round the bend and come right at us and he had no clue how close he was until it was too late.

We regroup and regain composure and I give him some good sound advice, ‘Don’t scare the deer!’ grin So back to hunting. Wouldn’t you know it another 30 minutes go by and my dad says “deer!” I advise him to grab his bow as I put the binos on this deer. Another good buck! However, he is not coming our direction. I pull out the grunt tube while this deer is about 150 yards away. After a few loud tending grunts, this buck is going to come check out what is going on. He takes the same track as the last one, and my dad is ready for it this time. I watch the deer thru the binos as he works his way towards us and recognize him as the same deer I saw while standing on the ground the day prior. Wide, tall, solid 9 point. Yet this time the deer takes a different route right in front of us. Out at about 50 yards he hangs a right to parallel us. My dad is drawn and I range him at 42 yards. I let him cruise thru knowing that is out of my dad’s comfort range. Another close encounter with no shots. At least he didn’t scare this one.

So far, this already has been a great morning. We probably have close to 5 inches of snow. We are sitting in a comfortable blind and seeing some great deer. At the same time my brother is hunting about 5 miles north of us and he has seen a shooter buck but not in range. He also had this great deer come by and he let him walk.

Holy cows – where did this deer go? No sign of either after what seems like minutes. Then BOOM. He pops out of the thicket and is closer than the 15 yards! All I see is his rack fly thru the small window to my right as he works left. “DRAW! Dad. DRAW!” (He actually listened this time grin ) The giant works right where we would expect him, my dad is at full draw, and the deer is close. I let out the “BBAAAW”. He locks the brakes and is eye level at 18 yards looking right at us. I still can close my eyes and see this stud horse standing there broadside staring at us with huge snowflakes falling on him like in a snow globe. Yet at the same time, I see all the grass/brush that covers his whole body! Absolutely no SHOT. Just a view of his back, neck and head. We sit there in silence. Me. Dad. Deer. All I want to do is say 'shoot'. A couple seconds go by and the giant has had enough. He turns and trots away. The last image of this deer is him heading east over the top of the ridge with a tremendous rack sky lined and burned in both my dad’s and my memory forever. What an amazing encounter!

In the draw we were sitting in there was a slight washout in the bottom. The buck was standing in the absolute bottom of it. A foot closer or further away and that deer would have been one foot higher in elevation giving my dad the chance to take probably the greatest deer I have seen alive. That’s hunting.

Shortly after it was time for me to move, I headed back to camp while I had my dad stay put. Being that is was a cold, windy, snowy morning; the other guys had pulled the plug for the a.m. sit and were back at camp. Along with the rest of the crew, we had an amazing breakfast ready for us made by one of our gracious hosts.

full-21628-52076-20141116_113627.jpg

I sent the picture to my brother, but knew my dad would want a ride if he knew that we were inside eating an amazing breakfast and were about to watch the vikes kick-off sitting on a couch.

After breakfast and some digesting, we were back at it. New stands for the night sit. I was heading to the same tree I killed from last year. The wind has switched and would be the same direction for the next day and a half, which was perfect for my spot. Headed in with stand around 1 o’clock to set the stand and see how the evening shakes out. As soon as got to my spot and was trying to get organized and look up to see this young buck walking right at me. I pulled out my camera and snapped a couple pics prior to hanging my stand.

full-21628-52077-20141116_150732.jpg

Shortly after, I was set and this was my views for the next day or so.

full-21628-52078-20141116_155316.jpg

full-21628-52079-20141116_155337.jpg

The events of the evening were nothing terribly exciting. I think I saw a total of 10 deer for the night. Couple young bucks and does and fawns.

Day 4

Monday morning we are up at 4:30. Plenty of time to have some morning coffee and check the weather four or five times to make sure we are all heading to the perfect spots. Temperatures are in the low 20’s and expected to stay there most of the day with steady winds from the NW.

I am in the same tree I killed in last year and set with plenty of time. Just as the darkness fades and the woods start to talk, the deer begin moving. It does not take too long and you can tell you are hunting the ‘rut’. Does running, bucks grunting, just plenty of traffic.

full-21628-52083-mondaymorn.jpg

full-21628-52084-monday2.jpg

The sit starts with some does that work thru, just as expected, shortly followed by a nice eight and he was looking for something.

Awesome stuff. Lest anyone believe you have to go to Kansas (or Iowa or Illinois or...) for this kind of action, suffice to say it is attainable elsewhere (i.e. Minnesota) as well, as long as you have a decent amount of deer, and a decent buck:doe ratio and age structure. Therein lies the problem. Been awhile since I have seen this type of behavior, at least to the extent you are. And I miss it! Carry on!

Awesome stuff. Lest anyone believe you have to go to Kansas (or Iowa or Illinois or...) for this kind of action, suffice to say it is attainable elsewhere (i.e. Minnesota) as well, as long as you have a decent amount of deer, and a decent buck:doe ratio and age structure. Therein lies the problem. Been awhile since I have seen this type of behavior, at least to the extent you are. And I miss it! Carry on!

Really? You're going to turn this awesome post into a QDM, or DNR bashing thread?

At least you've got part of it right...Carry on!

Really? You're going to turn this awesome post into a QDM, or DNR bashing thread?

At least you've got part of it right...Carry on!

Didn't intend to bash at all, and you are probably right this was not the place for it. He just got me so worked up about how I remember good rut hunting could be that I forgot where I was for a minute there. Back to the regularly scheduled programming!

Thanks for the great comments fellas. I know how much i enjoy these threads, so i want to do my part. And it is a great way to remember a trip.

f-tosser - the videos are either shot on a cell phone or a point and shoot camera with a video option. and no, i don't own this property. If i did, i would not live in mn laugh

As I sit and ponder all the activity of the day (it is about right at 11 now) and how grateful I am for the things in my life, I catch movement on the same ridge all the activity has been coming from. My heart jumps! I catch a glimpse of the long tines from earlier. He must have circled back and is now on the trail again. I know the direction he is heading and prep for a shot. I draw. Settle in on my anchor as he makes his way to my lanes. He reaches the first lane. Baah! He keeps trailing. Next lane. BAAHH! He freezes. Perfectly centered in my lane and I know he is at 45 yards. I hold steady and settle my pin right where it needs to be. Squeeze off the shot and watch as the arrow disappears into the side of the animal. But for some reason, I instantly I doubt my shot. As if it was far back or was it too high? I shot hundreds of arrows at 40 yards in my back yard over the last 6 months and was completely confident that I can make that shot. Yet not 20 yards from the shot, I see the deer and his rib cage is absolutely painted with bright red! I watch him as he angles up the ridge, he makes it about ¾ of the way up, and I can see him stutter. He back pedals then disappears from my view and crashes. I am thrilled beyond. As I sit and pull into reality the events, I take a minute and reflect for all that I am grateful for. Then I need to gather the tracking team, even though I don’t need it  I head straight out of the woods to meet the half of the crew (my dad, brother and great friend) Something about having everyone there when we walk up on my deer for the first time.

full-21628-52108-20141117_120554_1.jpg

full-21628-52109-pic.jpg

full-21628-52110-20141117_120654z.jpg

Thanks for the help fellas!

full-21628-52111-drag1.jpg

The rested of the day consisted with getting my deer out of the woods, telling stories, and a couple of celebratory beers that evening. The others ended up back in the woods for the rest of the day but with one deer on the ground, everyone gets a little more of an itch on the trigger.

What an amazing day!

full-21628-52112-img_0389.jpg