• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Etiquet with non hunters

pikerliker

I love hunting and always have. I also don't take it for granted that I have the priveledge to continue hunting. I think in this day and age of instant communication, technology, ect that we have to be very concious of how we present ourselves to others. There is somebody I work with who is a very active hunter/fisher and loves to talk about it at work. Fine with me but as with everywhere there are many non-hunters who work here also. This person I work with seems to have a filter problem when we are around others who don't hunt.

For example a non hunter we work with was talking to us the other night at work and made the comment that he couldn't understand hunting because it would be too boring to him. He is not anti-hunting just saying it wasn't for him. Well the hunter guy I know starts talking about how when he shoots fawns just right they cry like a baby. Then he starts talking about how he once shot a rabbit in the posterior with an arrow while bow hunting and it ran in circles crying and crying... :0 Why would you say things like that to somebody who doesn't hunt?? For that matter to somebody who does hunt. He seems to think it's funny. I think it's a good way to recruit people who are nuetral to be anti hunters. He has done other things similiar to this with other people who don't hunt.

I guess I just want to say be aware of what you are talking about and who your talking to. Hunting is a great thing but needs to be portrayed in the right way to protect our pasion!

It sounds like your Hunter-coworker is the type of person who just likes to get a rise out of people and may do it no matter what topic he is on I would bet? He is not helping the sport. Small-man complex it sounds like! wink

It sounds like your Hunter-coworker is the type of person who just likes to get a rise out of people and may do it no matter what topic he is on I would bet? He is not helping the sport. Small-man complex it sounds like! wink

What he said, or your coworker has mental issues one of the two

Yep, a loose screw. I think for many of us, every year we tack on to our lives reminds us we're one year closer to ceasing our existence as well. At least for me. Sort of a melancholy experience now when I kill a whitetail. At first I am very excited, then realize it for the majestic animal that it is and am thankful for the experience. Couldn't imagine going to work and laughing about how it expired.

I'm in the "not a hunter but pro-hunting" camp. I've ceased to be surprised by stories like the OP...happens every year, seems like, when it comes up in casual conversation that I don't hunt. Of course, the vast, vast majority of hunters aren't so foolish, but there are definitely some out there.

pikerliker,

It really sounds like you need to talk to this co-worker about his public discussions. Obviously, joking around between other hunters, this kind of talk wouldn't be taken seriously. But that doesn't justify such juvenile discussion either way.

In present company it's just spoken in really bad taste, and I think your concern is legitimate. It could potentially blow up into something really negative.

If I were you I'd just go up to this guy and tell him face to face how you feel about the things he said to your other co-worker. Then ask him to be aware of how his casual, inappropriate talk could really have a negative impact on one of his very favorite hobbies.

Anti-hunters are always looking for this kind of ammunition. A true hunter would know better then to speak publically in such a distasteful manner. If he really does appreciate the privileges we enjoy as hunters in this great country he needs to GROW UP, and stop talking like a foolish little school boy!

I us to say shoot, shot, but now i say take. My wifes family are againts hunting but have came around to accept what I do. Kids these days would say I murked a deer which I have no idea what murked means or came from proboly some rap song. I talk more about strategy and gear, guns, and equipment more than actualy taking the shot. Its just a way ppl take out aggression these days killing everything in sight and thinking it makes them so manly.

That person is not a hunter or a sportsman. Personally I would explain to the non hunter that the person in question is not a sportsman and doesn't represent the values of the hunting community in general and to try to understand that that is not how we are.

1st, point that dude in the direction of this site. He needs to do some reading. The way that he thinks and the fact he is unaware of his audience when he says that stupid @#$% tells me he likely isn't all there. Frankly the way you describe him makes me think he may be a bit disturbed. No reason to get happy or get that kind of a thrill out of taking a life. Period. He needs help. If I were you, I'd talk one on one with the non hunter guy and be sure to mention to him that most of us are not like that at all.

Its a shame.

I did talk to the guy he made the comment to and others that I know he has said stupid things to so they know what real hunters are about. If you try to tell the guy himself he just laughs like it's a big joke so I'm not sure if it does any good with him.