• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling with 5gal bucket

Baitchaser

I do not have a kicker motor and figured my best option for reducing my trolling speed with my big motor would be to drag a drift sock or 5gal bucket. My question is, does it matter how long of rope I use with the 5gal bucket? do I want the bucket to be close to the boat, or out a ways? Any length better for boat control or not getting hung up in the prop? Thanks!

the best answer I have is to tie to a rope with alot of length to it and just adjust it while trolling to find the optimal length needed. start short and just release more rope and see what difference it makes.

How about a trolling bag? I used to use the buckets and they worked but they were getting in the way. With the bags, I tied them so the back of the bag is near the back but not past it and they dive then better than the buckets and will stay out of your way

Tie a drift sock to the front eye hook on the boat. Let it back so it is roughly a third of the way back and let it run right underneath the boat.

I have done this for quite awhile and works well, still easy enough to steer. It will also keep the nose of your boat down in wind/waves.

I troll backwards to slow me down,sometimes with the driftsock attached to the bow.Works great for boat control and you stay where you want to as your reading graph instantly with transducer i tje back i stead of having whatever the length of your boat is to read what your heading at,just sucks if its really windy out.

Do not waste your time on the bucket idea. Tried it one trip then off to gen for a trolling bag. we did two buckets and at the end of the day. it took everything we had to get them back on board.

Drilling a few holes in the bottom of the bucket might have helped. Then the water would drain out as you tried to lift it.

With my first boat I used a bucket with a three inch hole drilled in the bottom. It actually work quite well wink

A five foot rope with a quick snap to the transom is all I did.

You can also drop a trolling motor down for drag. I hate socks, so that is what I do now.

Do not waste your time on the bucket idea. Tried it one trip then off to gen for a trolling bag. we did two buckets and at the end of the day. it took everything we had to get them back on board.

nearly split a gut here. you haven't lived until you've seen a boat trying to bring in their 5 gallon trolling bucket. huffing and puffing, red faces, swear words. we nearly died laughing.

You have to be smarter than the bucket smile

Cut a hole in the bottom, it makes it 40 pounds lighter in about 3 seconds wink

that is what we told them when we pulled up to the ramp. they were having a good laugh about it when we pulled up. they said they saw us laughing and were livid for about 30 seconds until they started going and looked at each other and just lost it. i told them they almost made youtube had i been thinking quicker. i was surprised they didn't just cut the rope and leave.