• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling with 5gal bucket

Baitchaser

I've used the buckets with holes for years, they work well for me. Just cut out that center bung part and it's just the right size. I use 2, that way you can go down to one if you need to.

It's cheap, and usually you can find replacement parts right in the road ditch.

DD

You guys crack me up. Trying to pull in a pail while underway......like what was said earlier, you have to be smarter than the bucket. A 90hp idles at the same speed as my 225hp as long as they both have the same pitch props. Buckets work great, 4 to 5 feet of rope tied to the handle, attach to the front cleat. Never had one get in the way fighting a fish. When not in use, I stack them and put a tackle bag in them and lay them on the tote that the anchor and rope is in. As far as pulling the buckets out of the water, lean over the gunwale and grab the bucket and lift it out of the water backwards so the water runs out...."duh"

I did the bucket thing for a year. It was a hassle with the handles breaking off or bowing. I bought two small drifts socks on sale at cabelas and have been super happy with them. I have been using for three years now.

We were stopped when pulling in the buckets. I would think drilling holes to make it easier to pull in sort of defeats the purpose of trying to slow the boat down. They do take up room and using them for storage went not in use is a pain, what do you do with the equipment when using buckets.By the way, that bucket pulling was in my younger days now I am a lot smarter and if I was to the bucket thing would have some dumb young kid with. Still like my bags.

Are you guys kidding me? You cannot pull the bucket out of the water?? Even my 10 year old figured this out, all you do grab the bottom of the bucket while it is on it's side, tilt the water out, no lifting. I have been using buckets for years, 3 feet of rope, no holes-no problems slows my boat down about a half a mph and with the shorter rope never ever had a fish wrap around it. The reason why this is done instead of backtrolling is because on big water with big waves your boat needs to go forward for best control. Do I have to make a video on how to get the pail out of the water?