• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am looking to purchase a new hunting rifle but cant decide which route to take. I already own an older Remington 7mm Rem Mag and a Remington Weathermaster 30-06. I have been trying to find a Tikka T3 hunter in 300WSM but had no such luck finding one. Also looked at the Browing X-bolt and also the A-bolt. Looking for some opinions on other guns I should take a look at. All comments or opinions welcome. Thanks.

I would add a ruger #1 to the list, my all time favorite rifle.

I have a 300mag Ruger bolt and agree, it is a well built gun and very accurate. I have no need for a 300 but I use it more than my 700 7mm as I like the Ruger that much.

I'm a savage guy myself. Being you have knock down power already let me suggest a 7mm08 in a bolt of your choice. Not a bad recoil and really accurate. I bought the same caliber for my daughters and they have no problem shooting it, and I like it too!

I will primarily be hunting whitetail and elk but with the occasional antelope, mule deer and bear. I like the 300WSM because you have the muzzle velocity and ballistics similar too the 7mm Rem Mag with the recoil and knock down power of the 30-06. I figured it was a good all around caliber! Now if I could just find that caliber in the Tikka T3 Hunter with the walnut stock and blued barrel I would be so flippin happy!!. I have looked everywhere throughout the Midwest for the last 5 years and haven't found it yet.

My next hunting rifle will most likely be a Savage with the accutrigger and possibly the accustock. Lots of great reviews for them.

I have a savage with the accutrigger. It is a nice trigger. the only complaint is if you dont have a proper trigger pull it will not go off. I have a friend that was trying it out and he pulls on the side of the trigger somehow instead of the trigger face and it wont fire like that. I have never had that problem personally and i do like the trigger system. I got mine before the accucstock and would like to upgrade to a nice laminate thumbhole stock.

Lightning- Sound like you know exactly what you want. Is that gun not available, or you just cant find it? You could have one made if need be. I dont know how much it would be to have one rechambered into 300 WSM

Box, u r right on the money. I won't shoot another rifle other than my grandpa Jon's marlin 30 30. I spend my money on shotguns cause I only need one bullet out of my rifle a year. My super black eagle does the job for everything else!!

If you have a few extra dimes, look at a Cooper. They're a little spendy, starting at around $1200 up to, well, as much as you wanna spend, but they're guaranteed 1/2 inch groups out of the box. IMHO, they're the best value in the firearm world. Usually, you pay $5-$6k for a custom gun & have to wait months, even years for your rifle to be built, to get accuracy like that. If not Cooper, it's hard to beat a good ol' 700 IMHO. They fit me really well, but that always changes from shooter to shooter.

These days it would be a lot easier to make a short list of rifles to stay away from rather than a long list of the best.

So many great guns out there to choose from. Buy a gun that fits, and feels like an extension of your body. Find a gun with an action, magazine, and safety that you can operate blind and without thinking.

As "ugly" as black guns are, a synthetic stock is superior to wood in inclement weather. But for most midwest deer hunters, it's generally not enough to worry about.

Get your hands on as many guns you can and good luck hunting this fall smile

I will primarily be hunting whitetail and elk but with the occasional antelope, mule deer and bear. I like the 300WSM because you have the muzzle velocity and ballistics similar too the 7mm Rem Mag with the recoil and knock down power of the 30-06. I figured it was a good all around caliber! Now if I could just find that caliber in the Tikka T3 Hunter with the walnut stock and blued barrel I would be so flippin happy!!. I have looked everywhere throughout the Midwest for the last 5 years and haven't found it yet.

Seeing you know what you want, why don't you have a gun shop order one for you? Any gun shop would be happy to do this.

By the way, Tika is a great choice of rifle. I have a T3 lite in 25-06 for deer hunting. Brought it up to deer camp one year, let a couple other guys shoot it, and now there are three Tika's in deer camp. Great rifles for the money.

Look at the Howa 1500 it will not leave you disappointed.

Most online places are using Gun Genie. Click on Gun Genie and fill in the blanks for what you are looking for and whala like magic it finds it for you

Guns, a big kids candy store.

Nothing better than buying a new gun.

I have been shopping for a new Henry Golden Boy but do not know yet what caliber. I have looked at these guns for years, very well built but I believe they just look cool. Gotta have one.

No need for it and that is the issue with picking a caliber. Not concerned with what caliber would sell best as I have no plans on ever selling it.