• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Selling arms?

I feel I should know the answer to this but in this day and age and what we've given up over the years regarding our 2nd amendment I felt it would be better to ask than to assume.

I have a Ruger Vaquero .44mag revolver with 7-1/2" barrel that I have decided I'd like to sell. Anyone know if there are special rules regarding the sale of a handgun from a private citizen to another private citizen?

Thanks,

Just make sure you get/make a detailed receipt/bill of sale for your records. With both names, dated, make, model, serial #... ect.

Yes, very good recommendation.

You can print off a generic firearm bill of sale off the internet. For me personaly I will only sell hand guns to someone I know personaly or if they have a permit to purchase or a carry permit.

I would check the State and federal laws as they are different in each state. I believe that you as a seller have to let the state know who you sold the handgun too.

Federal laws trump state laws ,but you also have to follow state law as well.

Laws are changing rapidly and just getting a detailed bill of sale may not be enough any more. Its Not as essay as cash in hand and hand over pistol to cash buyer. If handgun is used in a crime and it is linked back to seller it could be a sticky situation.

I would only sell a handgun or a AR style rifle to someone with the proper permits also now a days.

I Do not agree with the laws in place today in order to purchase or sell a gun as it is my right too bear arms but the laws are the laws and they must be followed or penalties will happen.

We meet. You give me gun. I give you cash money. We shake hands. We go our way. Transaction done.

This is the correct answer.

However, if you feel nervous about who you're selling it to or about the entire process of selling a handgun then meet at a gun shop and ask them to do a firearm transfer. This will require the buyer to have a permit to purchase since it's a handgun and the gun shop will most likely require a transfer fee which can run $20-50.

Your call on which route you feel most comfortable with.

There is no federal registration and the state of Minnesota has no registration requirements. There is nobody in the state of Minnesota to call and register your firearm. You as seller must verify that the buyer of a handgun be at least 21 years old and a resident of the same state you are. Those are the federal requirements. The state of Minnesota follows the federal regulations. Other states have different laws but they do not apply to Minnesota. In other words all you need to do is see an ID that shows the buyer resides in Minnesota and is 21 years old.

A bill of sale is a good idea if the gun is ever used in a crime and you are the original owner you can document that you sold it. At this time that is not a requirement.

I am a licensed dealer and my documentation is a little more involved than what you will need . I do not report any firearms transactions to the state or federal government for any type of registration. A NICS check is just to verify that the individual is eligible under federal guidelines to purchase a firearm. I keep a record of all transactions for twenty years and then destroy them.

If you are worried about selling to a felon you can have a dealer do a NICS check on an individual usually for a fee. The going rate is about $25. Some sheriffs departments might have a similar deal and maybe your local police can run a check, they will probably want some money for that service as well. However there is no requirement for you to do so at this time. This is the dreaded "gun show loop hole" the media likes to whine about. As long as you don't know the buyer is a convicted felon you don't need to have proof to make the sale.

I go to a lot of gun shows and there are plenty of individuals with tables who don't have an FFL selling a couple of guns and all they need to do is verify residency and age and make the transaction. And it is perfectly legal.

Minn. Stat. 624.7132

Subd. 14.Transfer to unknown party. (a) No person shall transfer a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon to another who is not personally known to the transferor unless the proposed transferee presents evidence of identity to the transferor.

(B) No person who is not personally known to the transferor shall become a transferee of a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon unless the person presents evidence of identity to the transferor.

© The evidence of identity shall contain the name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the proposed transferee; must be made or issued by or under the authority of the United States government, a state, a political subdivision of a state, a foreign government, a political subdivision of a foreign government, an international governmental or an international quasi-governmental organization; and must be of a type commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of individuals.

(d) A person who becomes a transferee of a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon in violation of this subdivision is guilty of a misdemeanor.

I will try to restate it in English, I think.

Whomever I sell the pistol to must produce a government issued photo identification such as a driver's license showing name, address, and age.

Have I got it right?

We meet. You give me gun. I give you cash money. We shake hands. We go our way. Transaction done.

Purchased many a gun doing it this way. As far as I am concerned, the Gov does not need to know the serial number of any of my guns unless they are purchased new.

Bob T - yes you have it right. I would as a personal move record the info from the ID and the Serial number of the gun, make and model. I may even ask the person to sign a receipt for the gun.

Tom, you can do it any way you want. Bob asked for the legal requirements and they are as indicated.

Note that the requirements are for pistols and assault rifles, not rifles or shotguns.

I thought you needed a specific stamp/license to sell/buy "assault rifles"...:/

If you want to purchase a pistol or an assault rifle from a licensed dealer you need to present a transfer permit, aka a permit to purchase. Minn. Stat. 624.1232. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.7132

As I note above that is not necessary when buying from a private party. Minn. Stat. 624.7132 Subd 12(1).

In my responses I use the term "assault rifle" rather than typing in "semiautomatic military style assault weapon". I thought most folks would understand. Perhaps not all.

See Minn. Stat. 624.712 Subd.7 for a detailed definition and list of covered weapons. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=...d=semiautomatic