• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm heading to southern Wisconsin on my annual mushroom trip this weekend and expect that we'll be a week too early this year. My plan is to bring the fly rod instead. I'm expecting to start finding them around the weekend of the 17th in the metro here if we get some timely rains. The nettles in the woods are barely poking through here and the lilacs are not close to blooming yet.

But, I have to cut lawn for the first time tonight, so I know we're getting closer!

Any tips for someone who doesn't have/know of a good spot? Hoping to find some morels this spring, but I don't have a good time proven spot. I know "recently dead elm trees" are what to look for, but any other helpful tips in locating a good spot? Any difference between American Elms and Siberian in sprouting them? Could other areas near say alot of dead red oaks produce them? Anything else to look for?

Every year about this time I like to go to youtube and type in "tips for finding morels" Always learn something new and videos are great to see how well hidden the little buggers can be. But to be more specific, I like to start with south facing slopes. I survey an area from a distance and I look for bif dying elms and basically walk from one to another. If you do find one get down and scour the area. Once you find one there are almost always more.

In previous years I would have a few morel photos from here in Johnson County in southeast Iowa to post by now, but I just bought a house and that has chewed up all my morel-hunting time this season. crazy So all I have are second-hand morel reports for the Iowa City area this spring.

People are finding a lot of grays now around here over the last few days. I haven't heard any reliable reports of yellows yet, just a few third-hand type friend-of-a-friend stories of yellows.

We are running more than a week behind normal for morels by all accounts. I am heading up to Fillmore County in just over a week, and I really hope the morels get going by then in southeast Minnesota, but I have a bad feeling it will be just a little early. frown

A friend of mine found some very small greys near the WI/U.P. border. Was surprised by that since I haven't heard many reports around SW WI yet. Did hear of some being found about an hour south of me around the De Soto WI area. Nothing in my spots yet.

We found a couple pounds of morels in southern Wisconsin on Saturday. They sure tasted good wrapped in bacon next to a chunk of wild turkey breast meat. I've seen a few pictures of tiny ones in the metro. This rain is good. It's getting close!!

I found one!!!!!

No Morels just a dam tick stuck well in the arm, little bastage! Got to keep an eye out for the bullseye spot now! I'm thinking my first morel find is yet this week! wink

As long as it doesn't get below freezing it shouldn't do much to the morels except slow them down. Some of my best springs have been long, cold, and wet ones. This one is shaping up to be pretty good as long as we keep getting moisture when it finally warms up.

Leech, go get some permethrin and treat your clothes!! I don't want to see anyone getting lymes here!!

As long as it doesn't get below freezing it shouldn't do much to the morels except slow them down. Some of my best springs have been long, cold, and wet ones. This one is shaping up to be pretty good as long as we keep getting moisture when it finally warms up.

Leech, go get some permethrin and treat your clothes!! I don't want to see anyone getting lymes here!!

Is it a spray on? Never tried it, who carries? Thanks.