• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kluwe: Vikings assistant is a “bigot,” Frazier and Spielman “cowards”

PurpleFloyd

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me why ESPN is doing damage for future gay players.

Again,this is all off the subject.The coach should have been fired.

seriously? you can't see the hypocrisy? i guess i'm not surprised at this point.

seriously? you can't see the hypocrisy? i guess i'm not surprised at this point.

While I don't think Priefer should have been fired (based on what we know about anyway who knows what was in the full report the vikes are holding out on which is the basis for Kluwe's recent undie bunching....), the espn article I nabbed that quote from actually went on to say a lot of positive things about the future of openly gay individuals in sports and while I don't pay attention to all the ESPN talk shows/radio out there at least the article took a positive spin on something I'm sure dungy regrets saying the way he said it. Sam broke the barrier, hopefully we can move on and worry about actual problems in our society.

HASHtag run-on-sentences-are-fun.

I can say that I respect Dungy for this. He was completely honest, he probably knew folks weren't going to like what he said but he just stated kinda what 31 teams were thinking.......

I know when I think about it I was happy the Vikings didn't grab him, and it wasn't about his orientation, it was we really don't need a distraction like that we just need to stay on the down low.

Ok, 1 more thing. I thought Sam was the SEC Defensive player of the year????? Am I right on that? How in the bleep is he only a 7th rounder?

This is from the Star Tribune beat writer. I agree with him as do many others.

Quote:

Mike Priefer is a lucky guy today. Yes, lucky.

If he worked for another employer, the Vikings special teams coordinator might be out of a job. Instead, he will only serve a three-game suspension — two, if he completes certain conditions — for making hurtful remarks about gays and then lying about his comments to anyone who would listen.

Priefer is lucky his insensitive comments didn’t get him fired because the Vikings would have been justified in doing so. Based on both his comments and his steadfast denial in the aftermath, the team certainly had grounds to dismiss Priefer, and I would have supported it

The bolded parts are my reason for believing the guy should have been fired, as I have said here many times.

I have no problem with how the Vikings Organization handled this situation. To me the suspension is sufficient. Had they fired him I feel is excessive even though it may have been justified in doing so.

Having said that, hypothetically speaking, you are pulled over for driving 5 MPH over the speed limit. You tell the officer you were NOT speeding (even though you know you were). He decides to give you a warning because you have nothing else on your record. He was JUSTIFIED in giving you a ticket for speeding, but he wasnt OBLIGATED to do so.

Looking at the entire body of work the Organization believed that this warranted some action, but not firing him. I have no problem with that.

Based SOLELY on the fact he lied and tried to cover it up then yes I would think his firing would be justified. Although without a history of problems, they could show leniency and I would be ok as well.

You tell the officer you were NOT speeding (even though you know you were). He decides to give you a warning because you have nothing else on your record. He was JUSTIFIED in giving you a ticket for speeding, but he wasnt OBLIGATED to do so.

This is only an analogy for the first lied, not the lies during the investigation.

He lied to investigators initially in January when this first came up, then admitted it to investigators in May.

Yes, he lied twice to the investigators from what I've read. He told the truth after it was comfirmed that he was lying.

Here would be my analogy.

I am a manager at a company and there has been a complaint filed against me for sexual harassment based on a something I said which would clearly be deemed inappropriate. Management comes to me and I tell them that I never said such a thing. The case becomes public and I tell the press that I did not and never would say such a thing.

My company shows faith in me,but hires an outside firm to confirm to them and the public that I was wrongly accused. During the investigation I lie, not once,but on two occasions, and I only tell the truth when it's obvious I was lying. I am now a confirmed liar and a major distraction. Do I keep my job? Not likely. Do I deserve to still have a job? No.

From what I read he lied once to investigators so my analogy fits which is why I typed it.

I might consider your analogy appropriate for the first time he lied to his bosses or the first time he lied to the public, but not for when he lied to investigators. You might be right about only lying to investigators only once, but that does not change the my outcome of my analogy. I still most likely lose my job and I could never with a straight face state that I still deserve to have my job after what I had done. So if I kept my job I would have to consider myself extremely lucky.

I guess I'm not surprised you chose not to answer the question.

Your ESPN comment is utterly ridiculous.

so you don't understand that making a 24/7 news story carnival for weeks on end does more damage than one guy who has nothing to do with any personnel decisions for any football team in the nfl saying he'd pass on the circus. which espn, deadspin, olbermann then perfectly prove his point by then creating a big top event around THAT statement.

if you want to make it the norm, set the example. guys that just want to be left alone and play football don't want the circus. they've been dealing with people passing over them their entire life. tony's not phasing them. see sam's response.

espn - "how can we make a big "distraction" out of a player coming out, tony, if you say that you wouldn't want to deal with the "distraction" by drafting that said player? hey, heres an idea. lets create even more distraction by talking about what tony said! "

pretty simple.

BTW, you are padding your post count nicely just with this topic. Nice job.

I still can't ever get close to your count. I know some of you would only prefer to pat each other on the back while agreeing with each other, but there is always more than one side to the story. Most of you clearly think I am wrong and I clearly think some of you are wrong, but if it bothers you so much just ignore my posts. I will keeping adding to my post count for as long as I see fit.

Maybe if nobody responds to my posts I might just make you feel better and go away from this thread.

I am indifferent as to your presence in this thread. But if I had an investigator interrogate me and the a confidante corroborate your accusation of me feeling better if you left maybe I would agree. Lol

I have to give you credit fot attempt at humor. wink