• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you guys hunting from?

Jeff13

Just curious as to what you guys hunt out for stands, do you use a climber, ladder, permanent, or a hang on.

I hunt mostly out of a ladder because it gives me a little more room, I'm 6-3 240 with size 14 boots and some of the hang on stands and climbers are pretty small for me. I although do hunt out if a climber summit viper when rifle hunting though.

Do any of you larger guys have a favorite hang on that works well for you?

Just was curious..

I prefer hang on's myself. I usually strap them in with an extra ratchet strap. I have a couple of perm. stands as well but I really like the hang on stands as I can reset them quickly if I want to.

I'm not that big but I do like the API baby grands with their bigger platforms. Mine are older and I'm not sure if the newer ones are as big. I used to have trouble with the T-screws until I started bringing a box wrench with me to the woods to help tighten it down.

Have a couple cheaper ladders that I am really starting to like due to easy up and down. Always wear a safety strap any way and feel they are almost as versatile and can be as concealed as a hang on, especially in a pine tree. Still use a couple Rivers Edge hang ons that are good for the money but tough to sit in all day. Have tried a couple climbers but always struggle with finding the right tree or end up with poor shooting lanes. And of course my favorite is the old box that I built in a white oak 15 years ago.

So to answer your question a few of each. And if I were looking at a new hang on I would consider the Millenium based on the comfortable seat.

I use mostly ladder stands. I've got two ground blinds out this year, but with the foliage they present a very limited view.

It's hard to beat a ladder stand for cost, sight lines, and function when you've got property to hunt. Being older, they also give me a lot of peace of mind.

I'm about the same size and prefer my summit viper climber. I hunt public and move around a lot sitting in 30 or so different trees this year so the climber works best for me. I do have a couple ladders out there and did shoot a deer this year from a sportmans guide hangon stand that I liked as it has a huge platform and high seat but the climber works best. I can have the seat further from the platform so standing up is really easy with less movement. Some of the hangon stands just dont have enough seat height.

Lone Wolf Alpha II (hangon), Millenium M25 (hangon), and Summit Razor SD (climber). Also have some cheaper small platform stands (I think they're called the Ameristep Challenger) that I leave up on state forest land for a few weeks which I've taken down already.

All of the above for me (except climber). I've got a couple Big Game hang ons, a Lone Wolf Alpha hang on, a couple double ladder stands up in MN, and was given a couple single ladder stands for the place I can hunt in ND. I also hunt out of a cheap hub style ground blind and I've made four different ground blinds in the past few years. These home made ground blinds are the cat's meow IMO! I still prefer to be in a tree, but if I'm on the ground, the home made ground blinds are so much nicer than any store bought ground blind I've been in.

I use to make my own hang on and used them alot many years ago. I believe I own every type stand made today including ground blinds.

I believe I have 4 climber's, 5 hang on's and 2 ladder stands and then a couple climbing stick style, with 3 ground blinds. I also have 2 box type stands that I use souly for rifle hunting.

For archery, I use almost souly climbers. I typically have no issues with finding a tree to climb up and usually hunt about 15-18ft up the tree.

I have 2 ladder stands and some climbing sticks and have a few nicer hang ons I purchased but I use them maybe once every 3-4 years.

Rifle hunting and ML hunting I used my climbers but from time to time I do use the climbing sticks with a hang on but not very often at all. I use my grounds blinds every know and then on a field edge if I am rifle hunting but rarely use tham for archery hunting as I like to get higher of the ground to see what is coming my way.

I guess the stand I use for any deer hunting depends on the wood's I am hunting.

If I could only have 1 type for all hunting, it would be a Lone Wolf climber.

I got rid of some stands last year as I have way too many and some I simply never use any more esp the climbing stick style.

and I've made four different ground blinds in the past few years. These home made ground blinds are the cat's meow IMO! I still prefer to be in a tree, but if I'm on the ground, the home made ground blinds are so much nicer than any store bought ground blind I've been in.

Scoot, do you have any pictures of your ground blinds?? What kind of materials are you using? Are they portable or specific to that spot?

The majority of my stands are ladder stands. I just like the security and stability they provide.