• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Famous lines from your spouse about bowhunting

Scoot

OK, first let me say that I have a very understanding wife who usually supports and nearly always tolerates my bowhunting passion. However, there have been a few times when she has been less than understanding- typically because my priorities got out of whack or I was simply gone too much for some period of time. I get a little wacko from Sep to the end of Dec...

In spite of usually putting up with me and my silly critter chasing, she has gone bonkers on me a few times. One of my favorites was when she told me "I'm going to chop you up into pieces, mix you with corn, and feed you to the #$&!*$! deer!!!" Now, in her defense, she really never planned on chopping me up. blushlaughgrin She was a little frustrated with me at that point.

How about you guys (and gals too!) out there- any of you have any favorite lines your spouse has said when she/he was mad at you for hunting too much? I know I'm not the only one...

Crazy, Psycho, Nutz, none of the other husbands are like you! Yep you name it I've probably been called it at some point.

I think my favorite reference was referring to deer mags as playboys and hinting that I get "aroused" by the doe photos. I just politely agreed. grin

I read a good article in D&DH once about rationing your hunting time toward prime time to help ensure you didn't tick you spouse off. That is, don't go nuts early season, so you wife is sick of your hunting and being gone during the pre-rut and rut. My wife personally has always been very understanding. We give each other plenty of time to do our hobbies. I hunt. She shops and bikes and then we take turn watching the kids for each other. She just gets really ticked off if I talk to her too much about deer hunting, which she could care less about. My favorite was when I was talking to her about moving some deer stands while she was laying in the hospital bed about to give birth. She informed me she didn't bleepin bleepin care about that because she was about to have a baby. How self-centered!

"If you would give me 1/2 the attention as you do to your stupid little woods..."

I don't know about name calling, but I get this every Ocotber! Sorry honey, it's in the blood - gotta run! grin

This exactly!!!

Also refers to herself as a hunting widow.............

I must be very unique with my wife.

In the 39 years we have been married, she has never once given me any dump about going on any trips.

One year, I was leaving for Montana for a few weeks of deer and elk archery hunting and the only thing she asked was that I would be home for our granddaughter's Baptism. That was a no brainer.

Many trips to NoDak, she comes along and cooks our meals while we are out hunting.

I have always made sure I did not get upset when she wants new furniture or wants to do something with her friends. In return, I get the same treatment.

Always make sure the honey do list is up to date also.

Soon I can go archery hunting and gun hunting in 2-3 states all I want. All she tells me is be safe and have fun.

I too was blessed like Harvey! Twenty five years with the same gal, she was my fishing partner, but when it came to hunting I was gone and when I would come back I think she would get just as excited as I was telling her what I had seen that day.

Sure miss that!

Harvey, I believe that model was a Limited Edition Wife. grin They don't make very many of those any more.

I agree with the point about spending less time during the early season. My wife still can't understand why I would want to go in December--just before the snowstorm is due to hit us.

For the most part, she accepts my desire to hunt and fish whenever possible because she comes from a family where this was the case growing up. However, she doesn't quite understand why I snicker every time she asks me "What did you catch today?" when I come back from bowhunting.

And the ultimate in rejection--after describing an encounter with the biggest buck of a lifetime that resulted in no shot--"Oh, that's nice. Could you take out the garbage now that you're finally home?!?"

I am out once a week early and then almost every day from Halloween until the end of the first firearm season, then a two week break until muzzleloader.

Every year when I go out in September I tell her "wouldn't it be cool if I got one early, then I wouldn't be gone so much in November" she rolls her eyes and responds that I would just find something else to hunt because there is always something else?

One year she was really excited I got my deer earlier only to be crushed/miffed to find out I had another tag...

I have a very understanding wife. Probably not quite to the level that Harvey is talking but still good. The first couple years we were together she wouldn't park in the garage if there was a deer hanging. Now I've gotten her to help hang it. She still won't help with the skinning but that'll happen.

The line I get numerous times every year is "Whats the point of going all the time when you never shoot anything. Why don't you just shoot one of these deer that you're always seeing." And when she says "always" its in her most sarcastic tone. I usually just smile and say that if I did that I'd have to be home with you. She knows I'm as full of it as a Christmas turkey so I don't even get a reaction to that comment anymore.

I am also a very blessed man, I have a wife that archery hunts.

Problem I am having now is the other way, I am whining.

She always beats me to the treestand when there is school functions going and now I have to go to school while she deer hunts...

She does me a little grief when we are suppose to go somewhere and I am looking over Trail Cam pictures and she is stomping her foot by the door...

I just tell her I am looking to see who we can invite over for dinner this fall. lol

I had a buddy that went to Colorado religously every year to bow hunt Elk. One year he said he had to stop going as it was getting to expensive. I asked him if it was the license or the guide that was so expensive? He laughed and said neither, It's just that every year I leave to hunt and come home to a house full of new furniture!!!!

I solved a bit of these issues by lucking into two spots that are really close to my house that I can bow hunt at. Both are less than ten minutes away and I can get "my fix" of hunting without going out of town every time. I still do go out of town more frequently than most but have tamed it down which maybe she sees.

On the other hand, I probably get yelled at the other 9 months of the year most than others. I think she knows and understands my passion for hunting and realizes it's mostly a late Sept-November thing. Fishing and cabin activities are a lot of time with the family or at least one of my kids.