• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seen a very scary power load today!

leech~~

Just about ever day I eat my lunch down by a local lake and see 100's of boats launched a year. Today I had seen one of the most scary power loads I had ever seen. There was an older gentleman, ok older then me! whistle

Trying to power load his boat which was about a 16-17' foot Alm craft with a 50hp on it. From where I was I really could not see how deep he had his trailer backed in so I thought he had it in as far as he could. He kept pulling up and gunning it to try and get it on. Pulled it back out and try again. Then he powered it up to the rollers and with the motor in gear and under full power got up and walked to the front of the boat and jumped out to try and get his winch line on! shocked

I watched in horror waiting for the boat to catch some good water or easy up on the rollers and jump the trailer and run him over. He did this twice and finally got it up.

Now I normally do not get into other man's loading processes. But I drove over and told him that was one of the most dangerous boat loadings I had ever seen. I asked why he doesn't put his trailer in a little deeper, he said it cant's the boat on the trailer sometimes. He said, I have power loaded my boat for years! I said, I understand power loading boats I do it too. But, to get out and in front of a boat under full power at a launch is very dangerous. Not wanting to get into it any more I gave him a pat on the shoulder and said ok well good luck! eek

With a 16 or 17 foot boat, 50hp, and roller trailer why power load at all? Calmly walk out, attach the line, and winch her up. The launch doesn't get ruined, nobody dies, and there's no stress. I understand if you have a 19-20 foot glass boat with bunks, you pretty much have to power load.

And this is just my rant. Every year the DNR has to come to our launch to put more rock down from the power loaders. There's a 12" drop from the concrete beams to the hole that rips out trailer axles if you back in too far. And the rock they keep putting down is creating a shallow ridge 40 feet from shore.

What I get a kick out of is the 19-21' glass boat owners (I'm one, so I pay attention) who don't back in far enough and burn 5 gallons of gas getting bow to the post...and once they do, they keep er hammered down until they get the strap hooked up crazycrazy Even if they have found the "sweet spot" for the trailer, and can "gentle power load" their way to the post, they keep it in gear like it's gonna float away on em??

Do I powerload?? In a way yes, but the short burst I use to get it "home", isn't doing much, if any damage...Please let off the throttle, bunk guys, when you get it "home"!! lol....you're making us look crazycrazy

To the OP, well done....I gotta believe this guy will try things differently down the road....he might not admit it on the spot, but he's thinking about it, guarenteed. Nice work.

Its pretty easy to adjust and grease the trailer rollers to fit the boat almost perfectly. it onlu takes an hour at most on a calm day to get it dialed it. for me, i can pull it on with a rope, almost quicker than power loading, saves gas, and doesn't make the hole any bigger. On days with a side wind or launches without a proper dock and concrete ramp power loading makes more sense. My boat has strakes running the bottom and all i gotta do it bump the bow anywhere on the back rollers and it self centers.. 1500 rpm and your golden. The front rollers are tight enough for me to turn off the engine before tightening the winch too!

Do a little adjusting and tuning and you're in good shape for any kind of landing. pulling by hand or power loading. flooring it is dumb even if you stay in the boat. Not to mention getting out :P

I have a glass boat with a bunk trailer, it only takes one short burst to get it to the post. I can see power loading with a roller trailer if your alone and there are cross winds. other than that, there is no need to power load onto a roller trailer. and yes power loading onto a roller trailer will cause more wash out in the landing, since you have to leave the motor engaged until you get the strap on.

Some people you can just never figure out. I don't have a problem with power loading at all, if its done right (not that hard). The thing that has never been clear to me, is what exactly defines power loading? There are guys like me, and knoppers (and most boat owners) who drive their boat on the trailer; its quick, easy, and works everywhere. Then there are the guys who pin it on, and leave the engine running until the boat is out of the water. There is a huge gap between the two, but both are technically "power loading". The problem with the rope method is if there isn't a dock, you might as well drive your boat on.

About the drops at launches, 1/2 the dnr launches are junk. Why start putting concrete in, only to stop at half the depth they need to be? The worst by FAR is Koronis park in paynesville. The put slabs about 10' in, and there are about `10 more sitting ON the slabs already in, and underwater. I saw a guy with a wide trailer backing in, and he hit the underwater slabs and his boat came off the trailer and started floating away. My #1 complaint about the DNR will always be the stupid launches they install. Honestly the natural gravel ones are the best in the state. They are consistent, good traction, and there is no ledge. The hw 55 access on Koronis has a bad ledge, I've complained about before. You don't even get your boat underwater, and you go off the ledge. The worst part is there are extra slabs sitting in the grass next to it!!! Power loading does nothing to launches, bad launches cause bad launches. DNR if you see this, either leave lake boat launches alone or finish the job! That's my rant for today.