• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How often do you have to prime your fuel bulb?

toonfish

On efi motors, either once at beginning of year, or possibly none - after that just turn of the key. On carbed motors we had to the first start of every day, possibly even more if we tilted the motor up high for long period of time (gas drained out of carbs).

I used to check it on spring startup. Forgot this year and she started right up. Checked after I got to the dock and it was still hard.

On my old boat with a carb'd 2 stroker, every time out on the water at least once.

I have never pumped my primer bulb in the last 7 years.

Check your bulb or fuel line for a smaller crack to make sure you are not sucking air somewhere and losing pressure.

I had a 25hp motor on a boat years ago and almost never had to prime the bulb.

I prime mine after I replace the fuel/water separator filter. Then usually pump it a couple times in the Spring prior to first outing. I check it periodically to see if Im losing pressure or anything, but never needs additional pumps.

Since buying boats with built in fuel thanks I never have had to prime a bulb. When I ran boats with external tanks I primed on a regular basis. Older fuel lines were made of a different material than they use for today's boats. The older lines tended to harden up over time leaking air.

I have 75hp 1984 mercury & have to constantly prime it for who knows what reasons. fuel line usually changed every other year. whenever I open up the throttle it will usually sputter and stall at some point, then I have to stop & re prime & restart. could be a fuel pump issue which I have yet to check out.

I use my 4-stroke about once per month and give the bulb a squeeze before each outing. I don't think that it hurts to make sure that it's got enough fuel - unless you're giving the bulb a superman squeeze.

After reading this and also forgetting to prime it at the start of this season, I am realizing that I probably don't have to squeeze it.

I have 75hp 1984 mercury & have to constantly prime it for who knows what reasons. fuel line usually changed every other year. whenever I open up the throttle it will usually sputter and stall at some point, then I have to stop & re prime & restart. could be a fuel pump issue which I have yet to check out.

Do you have a built in tank? If not have you tried replacing the fuel tank. You stated that you replaced the hose every other year. If that hose replacement also includes the fittings my guess would be you have an air leak either at the fitting entering the motor, at the tank, the filler cap vent or the cap itself.

Well, #1, you have an air leak in your system and #2 have somebody take a look at your fuel pump. Your symptoms point right at those two problem areas. If you have cleared an air leak as your problem then it MUST be the fuel pump, from what you describe.

I agree that the fuel pump is suspect.

In general, on an engine with EFI / DFI, you should never have to pump the bulb (unless you run out of fuel) because you have an electric fuel pump.

On anything with a Carb, should be once per day, unless it sits for the majority of the day.

marine_man