• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I went out for what most likely will be the last time in South Central MN. I am still finding some greys along with the yellows but the yellow are getting quite large. It seems like when I start seeing the real large yellows its about over. Every year is different though.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boy and I went out after he got done with school today in far SE MN and picked 10 pounds or so of very wet mushrooms...they were crushing from the weight in the bags on the way home, but still found a fair amount of fresh mushrooms out there.

full-16801-33680-gedc0309.jpg

full-16801-33681-gedc0317.jpg

full-16801-33682-gedc0323.jpg

Well I think I'm done for the year as my spots are pretty played out. Only found a few today but two of them were the biggest on the year. I have got to get in the boat now! cry

full-27051-33705-lastshrooms2013004.jpg

A much less scary snake specimen about 5 foot in length sunning himself on the road today...also found a couple of pounds of big yellows in good flesh, in plain site right on the road edge! I poured one in a plaster of paris mix...we'll see if I can make my own mold with it...not really sure what I'm doing, but I should be able to do something with it smile

full-16801-33709-gedc0429.jpg

full-16801-33710-gedc0431.jpg

Nice hauls guys! Got a few morels, ramps, and oysters today in the metro- ramps and morels look to be about done here- oysters are just getting going it seems-congrats on the yellows Matt- will be snooping around west central mn this weekend- full-4296-33727-full_4296_33711_image.jp

Nice hauls guys! Got a few morels, ramps, and oysters today in the metro- ramps and morels look to be about done here- oysters are just getting going it seems-congrats on the yellows Matt- will be snooping around west central mn this weekend- full-4296-33727-full_4296_33711_image.jp

jerkin, are you sure some of those oysters aren't angel's wings? Some appear to have a smooth stipe...?

Not sure at all really???? Never crossed my mind that they could be something other than the standard oyster I have yanked from this tree for a couple years... I see what you mean on the one in the top left of the pic though. They were a bear to get loose and some of them got stripped as my kids struggled to yank them free...Just when you think the oyster is nice, safe, and easy, Matt comes calling you out...The ones in the pic are all long gone now though...there were lots more popping on the tree that I will have to examine a little closer next time. I have read both ways as far as edibility of the angels wings, enlighten me as to your experience Mr. Mushroom? grin

Just made me rethink what I thought were oysters as well crazy From what I gather, if they were wings, looks like your good to go without any previous kidney issues .....and since you have been munching them down for a few years, good news is...... you might not have any grin

Jerkin'm, are you a chef? That looks like a restaurant kitchen. Curious because I'm from the Navarre area. Wish I had an kitchen like that to prep meals.

I'd also like to find some ramps in the area. I've done great on morels, however I can't find a ramp to save my life.

Found a boatload yesterday in the south metro on my only morel hunt if the year. Some were as large as 20 oz mt dew bottles. Found enough to fill up a whole cub foods bag. Many were dry and about half had crumbled apart by the time I made it home. At what point do they no longer become "good"?

I soak mine in salt water overnight to get the critters out and help rehydrate the dry one, if too buggy or beat up I leave lay and look for greener pastures. Found about 15 yesterday by park rapids. Hopefully there is another week or two to go.

We picked almost 400 blacks yesterday and well over 500 all weekend during our camping trip. We left Thursday and got home late yesterday but we only picked 2 days. Yesterday afternoon they were starting to crumble on the flats but we did find some on north facing slopes. I don't think I'll be out again as I am low on blood from feeding the 10,000 mosquitoes this weekend. We did find a few fresh flushes of Oysters but some were buggy already.

Scratching my head this morning. I went to my number one late season morel spot on Saturday and found about six big yellows and a handful of small grays just starting to pop. I picked hundreds of morels off the spot last year. Went out today and nothing. No mushrooms, no stumps...nothing. Might give it a few more days and check again, however I'm shocked as this spot always produces. I've been checking it a couple times per week since the season started. I'm thinking the end is near or is already here, in the metro.

Was in West Central Minnesota over the weekend and found about a dozen morels while searching for oysters. They were big and fairly dry/crumbly. Was surprised as the season seemed quite a bit behind my area in the metro, guess not. Oysters were going good and only a couple past prime.

Between my buddy and I, and taking my clients out, we picked just shy of 500 morels and 48 clumps of oyster over the weekend. I wasn't impressed with a lot of the blacks. Lots of dry ones (which I don't mind), and a lot of them that were mush already. Sad face.