• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Had a very interesting morning shooting waterfowl photo's on the Mississippi river north of Brainerd, I caught some movment on the shoreline in a bay directly across from me, it was a wolf running along the shoreline, it was a female I watched her squat in a couple of different places, there was also another one about 150 yards behind her, about the time she got directly in front of me I heard a howl to my right and there was a different one 400 yards to the west on the ice, the minute he howled the female spun around and didn't waste any time heading back the way she had came stopping a couple time to look over her shoulder. The Male howled for 15 minutes while he was walking in her direction, and followed her tracks into the bay where I last seen her still howling. I zoomed in on a few of the females pics and she must have a litter of pups because her teets are hanging pretty low. Interesting to try and figure out what was going on, seemed like she was on a mission to get back to her den. Was hopping some of the more knowlable wolf people might have an idea. My guess is eith it was the mate or it was a roamer and she wanted to get back to her den to protect the pups.. Pretty neat experience..

First 4 are of the female, last 2 are of the male

131copy_zps48f90e97.jpg

138copy_zps930b4c81.jpg

141copy_zps684c3494.jpg

143copy_zpsf9d1b80b.jpg

150copy_zpsef4c6bed.jpg

154copy_zps9954a1ab.jpg

I seem to recall a debate (maybe in the Brainerd Forum) a year or two ago on HSO.com about if there were really wolves present around Brainerd. There were several people saying that anyone seeing them must be seeing coyotes and that there were no wolves in the area. I found this strange as I'm almost positive there's at least on pack with the Camp Ripley boundaries. These are awesome captures, and I for one think it's awesome to have them in that area.

Thanks we've had them here for many years, I know people that live each direction from Brainerd and have seen or heard them. This pack lives in a pretty large piece of county land that borders the river. What gets me is the number of people that seen these pictures that "said I'll bet you wished you had a gun rather than your camera". I personally have no desire to shoot a wolf, I believe the season is a good thing but not for me, I only wish I had put my 1.4 extender on that morning.

Well, ya know, it's a funny thing. Cannot remember exactly how many wolves I've seen in more than four decades in the north, but it is always a special moment. I have had a pack come out and sit in a semi-circle around me and my dog....just sitting and watching us. I have had them walk right out behind the cabin and lay there watching us work. I have watched them taking down and eating (then killing) a caribou and watched them playing and running and howling and just sitting looking out across the country.

They ARE the wilderness. They ARE the big and lonesome. They ARE deadly anbd they ARE fascinating.