• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upgrading wheeles/tires

Esox_Magnum

Just got a new to me 700 Sportsman and of course want to pimp it a little starting with wheels and new tires. Looking at going to 14" rims and 27" tires ( or there abouts) What mods if any will be needed to go from 12" rims to 14" rims? Also can I add wheel spacers to widen the stance a bit and whats the pros and cons of doing this? Also interested in what others have done with there Sportsmans to set them apart from the pack, so also looking for other cool, neat ideas... This is mainly an ice fishing ride but I want it to turn heads... This is what I'm starting with, all stock except for the winch...

2013-02-16102008_zpseda11182.jpg

for tires I would go with a good quality 6ply tires. There are several brands to choose from. I think the best bang for the buck is Kenda bear claws.

I wouldn't do the wheel spacers, there isnt much to be gained by the wider stance and in my opinion its not worth the added stress to the driveline components, tie rods etc. Can you do it yes, but I would put my money for other mods first.

As far as performance I wouldn't do much internally, but an after mark pipe and clutch kit will really make a seat of the pants change in performance. You are for sure going to want to change some clutch springs out to compensate for larger tires.

Your only limited by how much you want to spend. I have a Polaris 500 with lots of goodies on it.

The best ice fishing mod you can do is a lift kit. This will allow you to get the wheeler up and out of the snow and it will allow you to get bigger tires on there. I would recommend ITP terracross or XTR depending on what type of riding you do in the summer. I have a set of 589's and a set of terracross's and ride with a guy that has xtr's. My next set will be XTR due to the ability to get 27's to get a little more clearance. Make sure you get an auger carrier and a windshield those will be god accessories for ice fishing as well.

Windshield and handwarmers would be the first things I would put on there before doing any tire mods. Auger carrier, ram mount for your GPS on the handle bars. Some sort of storage system on the back rack or cargo netting to hold depth finders and rod bags secure.

You can get a nice cargo net from Menards for like $9. Its big and would fit a rear or front rack. They have nice hooks on them to tie things done. Granted, these things wouldnt make it stand out appearance-wise from the rest, but you would definitely be happier and more comfortable with these things.

Auger rack already here, gps is in a vex pack and sets nice on the front rack, always have the shack dragging along so all gear is in there but did like the cargo net on my old sMagnum so will add one of those for sure...Heated grips arent a big deal for me most trips are not that far and I have good gloves but may add hand guards or faring in the future, but I do have a nice modular helmet for those super cold trips...First will be wheels/tires since the ones on it are original and worn will get me by for this year but will need them by next season....Will see how it does depending on how much snow we get with this upcoming storm and the one following it early next week, potential for 16-24" betweeen the 2...

Hey Esox - I know you....I think I saw you got a trike on another Muskie site. Congrats.

I have a 2005 Sportsmans 700 EFI that I put 14" rims with 27" on. No changes required. If I was to do it again, I would drop down one tire size but it does look bad. Jumping up in rims and tires I don't feel like I lost any power on it - I bought extremely agressive ATs and they really grab.

If I am loaded up in the back the tires will rub but not often. I usually only use mine for hunting, ice fishing and was plowing driveway until I bought a tractor.

The BEST and easiest item (if it didn't come with one) is to get the quick connect windshield. That is the most valuable item on it. Then winch, tires / rims, chip and then pipe. These do have enough power without mods - if you wanted more power, s/h got an 800. I didn't want / need an 800 but now I am keeping the trike and plan on probably getting a BRP Commander 1000 as they have opened up all non-main roads in WI so we can ride ATV and UTVs on them.

Good Luck.

Hack

I would go with the 27's and a lift kit.....and a quick connect windshield. If it doesn't have a winch that would be first....I tend to get in spots I shouldn't be cry

Hack I have an 800 commander ......love it. Will never go back to a normal 4 wheeler. Awesome power and nice ride

Lift kit I wouldn't go more than 2". Rubberdown Customs makes a nice kit. Most aftermarket wheels there is a bit of offset built in so I wouldn't do the wheel spacers. Check out Tirewiz in rockford or atv outfitters. I'm not a fan of windshields but I'll make the exception in the winter, it helps. Hand and thumb warmers are a must, check out the Moose winter pack I really liked mine.

For tires I'd look at a set of 26.5 Pitbull rockers. Pitbull makes some great tires and made in the usa. Kinda spendy, but all tires are. Also check out rocky mtn atv. They have decent prices and free shipping. Lift kit, take it or leave it. It's nice having more clearance but it adds more stress to the drive line. Rubberdown does makes a nice one though. Not sure of the year of your machine but Atv Guru makes the best bumpers.

For ice fishing, the windshield is a must IMO. I did not get quick disconnect, and should have. But I have never needed to take it off yet...

I know you are looking for "looks" as well, but for utility in ice fishing, a rear drop basket is awesome. I got the one that you can detach the "drop" with 4 quick bolts, and it would look like yours does now. Even when towing a tub/sledhouse behind, it is extrememly nice and convenient to have the rear area that hold three buckets, or cooler, or ???? I have found that rear drop to be the most useful thing for ice fishing and summer stuff too. Not that purty though, but I think more useful than an enclosed box, except in times of rain wink

Not a "cool" ride, but works great for ice fishing - behind the seat is a black luggage bag type deal:

28747_4694025842580_2051257951_n.jpg

I had a sportsman 500 that I bought new in 2000. The first thing you need is the winch,which you have covered. I bought a set of super swampers which were great in snow but not that great as far as wear. Then bought a pair of Titan 589's which were better all around. I made a set of spacers and used them until I sold it. Personally they were not a necessity but did widen the stance and it seemed to be more stable and work better in deeper snow. I would certainly get a windshield if you are going to use it on the lake in the winter. One time out in the wind and snow and I guarantee you will have one the next day. Handwarmers are also nice in the winter.

If you plan on loner rides I would buy a gas can. I spent a lot of time riding trails from Iron River to Ashland, Wi and down to Hayward and the bigger quads just don't have big enough tanks for a long day riding and I see lots of Sportsman's with a gas can on the back.

You will most likey need a lift to clear 27" tires. I had an '02 500 and an '03 700 and both would rub 26" tires on the front of the floorboards even with spacers. You can also move the floorboards back an inch or so to clear them. It kind of depends on how much the front springs have sagged. On the '05+ models there are no clearance issues.