• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rac em bac Bowmag - Arrows with bullets

hockeybc69

WTH? Can't possibly be legal anywhere. With everyone all up in arms about gun control these days, this is all we need. A reason for them to look at our archery equipment too. Might just as well start making poison tips next. crazy

They used to have poison tipped arrows in the State of MO in the 70' and early 80's. I remember seeing them in the archery magazines. The arrows had a latex sleeve on the arrow with a poison powder in it several inches behind the broadhead. The sleeve rolled back when contacting flesh and exposed the poison. The reason for being on the shaft was that the arrow had to penetrate to release poison and prevent accidental death to the user. I do not know if they are still legal or not.

Mwal

WTH? Can't possibly be legal anywhere. With everyone all up in arms about gun control these days, this is all we need. A reason for them to look at our archery equipment too. Might just as well start making poison tips next. crazy

I was thinking the same thing.... Not to mention, where the heck would you even use these things?

They used to have poison tipped arrows in the State of MO in the 70' and early 80's. I remember seeing them in the archery magazines. The arrows had a latex sleeve on the arrow with a poison powder in it several inches behind the broadhead. The sleeve rolled back when contacting flesh and exposed the poison. The reason for being on the shaft was that the arrow had to penetrate to release poison and prevent accidental death to the user. I do not know if they are still legal or not.

Mwal

No, they are not legal...anywhere. I remember when they were in use, and I remember the negative outcry from the hunting community about their use. That's exactly where I was coming from in my first post. I hope this product gets squashed before anyone outside our ranks hear about it.

2c

Actually, I found this:

Quote:
The state of Mississippi does not prohibit the use of drugged or "poison" arrows in deer hunting. However, the poison used in such arrows, Succinylcholine Chloride or Anectine, is illegal to sell in Mississippi.

First thought was "Cool, I want One".

Second thought....I like to know where i'm aiming when the bullet fires. The bullet doesn't fire in this case until impact. Anyone ever hit a branch with an arrow and had it go somewhere else, possibly pointing that bullet in a bad direction...However, i'm sure that bullet just tumbles anyway, and has very poor distance.

First thought was "Cool, I want One".

Second thought....I like to know where i'm aiming when the bullet fires. The bullet doesn't fire in this case until impact. Anyone ever hit a branch with an arrow and had it go somewhere else, possibly pointing that bullet in a bad direction...However, i'm sure that bullet just tumbles anyway, and has very poor distance.

I can't see this becoming legal in many states. One other way to look at this is one errant shot is obviously too many but it's better than the potential errant shots being fired during slug/rifle season.

I actually sent them an email telling them what I thought of their product. Here's their responses:

Quote:
I could kill a deer with a Sling shot does that mean we have to take them off the market also. Your the only one that wants them off the market you must be someone that doesnt hunt or know anything about hunting .The Bowmag is not just for killing animals, you can just have fun and target practice . I will not take them off the market for you or anyone else ,Just because you think they are bad , you just don't understand the concept of a clean kill . 100,000 people like the concept your the only one who doesnt like them.

Jon Royer

Rac Em Bac

I've been bowhunting since 1971. Am a certified bowhunter ed instructor, and am a board member of our local archery club. I'm opposed to anything that takes the art of a well placed arrow away from our sport.

Where did you come up with the 100,000 number of people who like this product? I see you only have 515 "likes" on your facebook page. That's jack.

What's next for ya, bringing back poison tips?

Quote:
Look this up on YouTube. RAKM Bowmag video. And by the way it was product of the year at the ata show in Kentucky , how does a product get that award for being a bad idea. Like I said have you ever shot a hog with a broadhead. If you have you'd of noticed that most of the time they run off and die and you never retrieve them. That is not the case for the Bowmag I have personally shot 10 hogs and 2 deer they all dropped dead in there tracks. If you think of changing your mind I'll send you some to try for free no charge I want you to be happy and not condem our product. Thanks

I'd love to shoot a hog, but if I can't kill 'em with my archery tackle, why not just pull out the .3030?

Quote:
Don , you still have to place the arrow in a good spot you can't kill them with a bad shot and they are half the price of a broadhead . People down here also shoot alligators with them wouldn't you think that's better than a dang broadhead. Most of the time the alligator gets away not with the Bowmag 357

Jon Royer

Rac Em Bac

I CAN see the advantage on an alligator.

Sorry, I'm just going to have to disagree with you on this product. Can't please everyone all the time can you? I'm also against poison PODS and crossbows during the archery season. I just believe that an archer needs to practice, a lot, to be able to achieve success during the season and anything that helps them cut corners takes away from the core of our sport.

Quote:
I am sorry you feel this way. I just noticed that your from up north you don't have alligators and hogs. So you don't understand. I will give you a free hunt with me come down and try them for yourself. Call me anytime for a hunt.

Jon Royer

Rac Em Bac

What do ya think. Should I take him up on the offer of a free hunt? Yeah, probably not. blush

Can he take you gator hunting? That'd be an interesting thing to try, even if it was with a bullet on the end of the arrow. :P

edit: I've seen some gator hunting videos, and it seems like part of the fun is trying to reel in a big gator with an arrow sticking through it. Kinda like bow fishing for big carp and stuff. Pulling in dead weight is just work. If it fights back, that's the fun part.

Yes, his initial response was pretty childish, really defensive and insulting. I'd still take him up on the hunt, and impress upon on him, while there, that an arrow is an arrow, and a bullet is a bullet.

Donbo, you and I are thinking the same way on this one. Again, like I stated in my other thread (I didn't mention the actual product name cause I wasn't sure about putting it up here), but I just don't see the correlation, or reasonable application.

If you need the killing power of a bullet, why wouldn't you just use a gun? Geez, the danger inherent in shooting an alligator at close range in the head with an arrow, just to get a bullet to discharge into it's brain? Just use a gun to start with for goodness sake! I mean even for the sake of the gator or hog!

A bullet tipped arrow is just foolish, totally Rambo mentality! I mean really, okay letting the arrow fly is silent, and covert, but you can't really hide the boom! In reality, Rambo would have been torn to ribbons with an AK in seconds! But of course, Rambo isn't real, is he? blush

Please hear banjo soundtrack of "Deliverance" playing here....