• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a small heater for the flip house

hydro

I’m looking for any ideas that are a little “out of the box” on a heater. I have a Mr Heater sunflower style heater and it puts out way too much heat for how I like to fish. I think it is something like 9000/5000BTU. Are there any heaters out there that are something like 5000/2500 BTU and would be adjustable to lower the heat when not wanted? Anyone have experience with this?

I like the Big Buddy heater. I usually have it on low and am very comfortable, if its windy or very cold I bump it up to medium. Heater BTUs are 4000 on low 9000 on medium or 18000 on high. I have yet to use the high setting in the fish house. I also like that the front of the heater is not as warm as a sunflower no worries of burning myself or my clothes. It also cools off quickly for packing into the sled.

Normal sized Buddy works great for this. Nice that you can leave the pilot light on/going and just turn it when you want a bit more. Can also push it up tight against wall/fabric, which is why I like it so much. It actually "gives" you room, if that makes sense. The smaller buddy lights better than the big buddy for me. Good luck.

Buddy heaters work well or even a coleman lantern

Buddy heater yes-Coleman lantern no. Though I've used one for years and they work on warmer days, the CO levels can get dangerous on these little guys.

I have not used a little buddy heater but it may be the option you are looking for, they are 3800 Btu's, what I use is a one burner, what they call a perfectflow coleman trail stove when I just need a bit of heat in my permanent, what I like about it is you can control it from off to full blast, of course make sure you have fresh air vents open

What is the shelter? If you like to hole hop then a buddy heater is not a very good option... you have to restart it every time you move holes because the wind will blow the pilot light out or it goes out from being bumped around at all.

Check out a coleman Pro Cat. More expensive than a portable buddy and less heat output but it stays going when you switch holes. Definitely a better option if you are a chronic hole hopper.

I have the small Mr. Buddy heater. It is extremely portable and has been durable for me. No problems getting it to fire up no matter how it's stored. It heats my two person non-insulated flip over very nicely. If it's not terribly cold, I can take off the hat/coat/gloves and still be warm or hot even. It is what you want. Plus w/ cheap throw away propane containers it is convenient size. My only complain would be that the auto-shut off if it tilts or is jostled can be annoying. But, safety is first priority... (it's quiet too).

Lantern?No!!! The only thing you get out of this is light. Buddy Heaters??? Only in wheel houses because he pilot light will go out if moved around and exposed to any draft or light wind. I use a sunflower which is definiately not the safest but it works in a pinch.

Mike

I have the smallest buddy heater that sits on top of a 1 lb propane tank. So far it has worked great for me. It heats my old drafty flip over pretty well, well enough that I usually just fish in a sweatshirt with no hat or gloves.

I usually don't hole hop real often but I do usually move a couple times per outing and I shut if off quick and drop it in a bucket in the portable sled and I'm off to my next spot. Re starts in 30 seconds and reheats the house in just a minute or two.

I was in the same boat as you hydro 2 weeks ago. A sunflower on low kicks out 9,000 BTU. On high a buddy heater kicks out 9000 as well but you have the low setting which is 4000 btu which i find is perfect for my one man flip over. If it gets colder when the sun goes down I can kick it onto high for a bit. Yes the freakin pilot goes out if you bump it, or even just set it on the ice, which is not ideal, but I can deal with it. i like my buddy heater. The big buddy will also go up to 18000 BTu I think if you want that quick warmup like what you get with a sunflower.