• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Vikings draft and off season?

countyline

So many options...

-sign a FA WR first...overpay like you have to...especially with Ponder.

-Draft a WR and LB in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

-get some balls and pair Harrison Smith with another outstanding safety...thru the draft or FA. Another "impact" safety and/or linebacker would completely change this team. Another safety in the 1st round would be great.

-Re-Sign who we need to...Percy is 1st on that list! Get him locked up for 4-5 years!

-Add corners anyway possible...draft or FA. Upgrade here just a little and we'll be good. Depth here is non-existant right now.

-Add a REAL back-up QB to the team...no brainer.

-And lastly...get rid of the JUNK. Move on with our WR's and some of the DB's depth. ALL JUNK!!

Ponder is never going to be a great QB...he may be an Alex Smith type "good" though. It'll be interesting to see if the Vikes suround him with playmakers or a defense...I hope they go defense.

They are going to have to over-pay whom ever they get. All I want is for them to get this need taken care of in FA .

Draft Defense...another stud safety...a much needed LB...or a shut down corner would be nice in the 1st!!

Greenway is great at line backer but I agreee a top notch middle line backer would be great. I really want to see them focus on the WR position. This is a must not a well maybe. A safety would be great but I think we need to look at the DB positon instead. Winfield is not getting any younger and as stated no debth. Maybe we should just draft the Alabama team and call it good

Percy still has another year on his contract, so I don't think they will worry about getting him resigned to a contract extension this offseason. If need be, they can always hammer him with the franchise tag next year, and if he walks away from the Vikings, they get good compensation for him. He is a very good player, but also very injury prone plus headache issues. If he is going to be a beyotch like last off season, but him on the trading block and see what they can get for him. Perhaps they can fill a couple of needed holes by trading him and picking a LB or DB.

I am hopiong that they will address the WR issue through FA and the draft and put some youth and experience on the field, all with NFL talent. The only receiver that I see worth keeping at this point is Wright. When he played, he played well and made plays. Rest of the WR corps can be released. I don't see GB letting Jennings get away, which sucks, but one never knows.

My question is do you guys think that the Vikings resign Loadholt to a big contract extension? I think he is an average right tackle, definately not elite like Kalil is turning out to be.

percy is as good as gone.

wr's come to mn to destroy their career lately. signing free agent wr's hasn't worked for this team. i don't expect that to change, especially with noodle arm ponder.

they need to get lucky with an unproven guy for cheap. or continue to hope for the best with guys like wright. take a wr in the draft if it's the right choice.

Here is my list in order of need.

1. Wide Receiever

No matter who is at QB we need to give him targets to throw to. Our WR's couldn't start on a junior college team. Best bet here is through free agency.

2. Linebacker

I believe Brinkly and Henderson are free agents and I'd probably let both of them walk. I'd love a game changer at LB but I'd settle for two compotent LB's that can help stop the run and not look overmatched in coverage. I think this spot can be addressed through the draft.

3. Veteran backup QB

Ponder is for sure your day one starting QB. However, if the wheels fall off or if he shows no improvment by midseason we need to have a capable backup. A vet could also help Ponders development by mentoring him and showing him how things are done. We obviously saw that Joe Webb is not the answer so its time to get a real backup. Not sure what the market looks like for QB's but free agency is the only way to go here.

4. Defensive Secondary

The secondary was much improved from last year but there are still some holes and with Winfield getting another year older I only see those holes growing. You may be able to draft this need but I'm also not sure what the FA market is for corners or safetys.

Lots of spot on needs, but I would like to see another playmaker on the Dline. We need our Dline to put more pressure on the QB's. If the front 4 can get in there and cause more disruption, it will help our passing defense out as well. Stop giving the opposing QB 10 seconds to throw the ball.

I don't see GB letting Jennings get away, which sucks, but one never knows.

Almost zero chance the Packers will sign Jennings. My perdiction is he will become the next in a long list of aging Packers that makes the move to become a Viking. Thompson is fine with a recieving core of Nelson, Jones and Cobb. They did not miss Jennings for the 3/4 of the seaosn he missed. They will not use that much cap space to keep hime.

You may as well throw a one year at Donald Driver too... even with his walker he is better than anything that was trotted out on the field this season!

Good Luck!

Ken

i think they might have a reciever in Web big guy fairly fast

he obviously not a QB

Fast? He runs a 4.4 so he definately has the wheels. The Vikings were impressed by his arm and thats why they turned him into a QB, although he was drafted to be a WR. Try him out at WR in Training Camp or just cut him.

I wonder if Cris Carter and Jake Reed would agree...

lately, as in not 10-15 years ago.

berrian, jenkins, carlson, simpson. these guys are not OMG types of recievers. but after spending time in MN, their stock couldn't be lower. other free agents won't ignore this. and if we want someone good, we'll have to overpay big time which is not a good move in the nfl.

Almost zero chance the Packers will sign Jennings. My perdiction is he will become the next in a long list of aging Packers that makes the move to become a Viking. Thompson is fine with a recieving core of Nelson, Jones and Cobb. They did not miss Jennings for the 3/4 of the seaosn he missed. They will not use that much cap space to keep hime.

You may as well throw a one year at Donald Driver too... even with his walker he is better than anything that was trotted out on the field this season!

Good Luck!

Ken

Yep I would take those 2 guys.... grin

We should have Vincent Jackson already if we wanted a decent free-agent, going from SD to TB didn't lose a step really. We are always lacking in some area, great O no D or this or that. A big part of this years team was rookie play, 3 wins to 10 I think the young guys came through, can we hit it right another year in a row I hope so, need a CB,LB and DE. Why if one of our DE's if not both, is being owned play after play is it against the law to switch like Allen and Robison some, give those tackles something to think about or whatever. Regardless, we need our QB to take a big step forward next fall, it's the Mannings,Rodgers,Brady's of the world you meet at playoff time and now some mobile young guns are in the mix. This is Viking Football.

Trade Percy for a pick(s), draft D early (need linebackers, interior defensive linemen, CBs), take a wr or two in the middle rounds, and if the price is right sign Greg Jennings. A veteran presence at wr may help the passing game as a whole. Cut Jenkins and don't bother signing simpson again.... Jenkins wouldn't crack another NFL roster and Simpson struggles to get open on a consistent basis.

Jennings could be huge help to Ponder, wouldn't be bad information, he's been catching balls from a future hall of famer and best in the NFL in my book primarily because he's quite a bit younger than Manning or Brady. Would love to hear Jennings take on what GB did to prepare etc. vs. us and their game plan against us etc.

I'm hoping we sign Jennings, he still has a lot of juice left, I was hoping we would get Alex smith, because he would be a PERFECT fit for the vikes,

The Packers would like to keep Jennings but realize he will be over paid and will not be willing to spend that kind of money on him... especially at 30 and injury prone. He will not be a good value and a little risky, so yep a good fit for the Vikes!

Why the love fest for Alex Smith by Viking fans? only maybe marginally better than Ponder. He has a weak arm and they won in spite of him in 2011... SF fans wanted him gone last year, they tried to pick up P. Manning in the off season, and are now starting a rookie? Hmmmmm,,, yeaaaa he'd be a good pick-up! NOT

Good Luck!

Ken

Why the love fest for Alex Smith by Viking fans? only maybe marginally better than Ponder. He has a weak arm and they won in spite of him in 2011... SF fans wanted him gone last year, they tried to pick up P. Manning in the off season, and are now starting a rookie? Hmmmmm,,, yeaaaa he'd be a good pick-up! NOT

Good Luck!

Ken

Alex Smith struggled big time in his first few seasons. Its a miracle that he's still with the team that drafted him.

The Alex Smith thing with Kaepernik is why we couldn't figure out why Joe Webb never got a shot this year until he got shot into a playoff game. Is he A.S a Brad Johnson type with a solid D don't turn it over and you'll win plenty. Ponder it is unless Randall Cunningham is ready again after laying tile in bathrooms. I'll be watching those silly what college did you play for intro's and see how many Bama guys there are, most seem to day da U or some obscure college.

I wouldn't call Harrison Smith a loser player. Not by a long shot. That kid is quickly becoming my favorite defensive player on the team.

A Ford Taurus looks like a Lincoln when it's parked by a Tempo.