• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need some advice on a concealed carry.

I have been asked by my boss to carry a side arm for security, which I am fine with, I was planning on getting my concealed carry permit back again (I let it lapse several years ago and never renewed in). Back then I carried a P90DC (45). Its kick was a little more than I cared for. I am trying to decide between a subcompact 9MM or a 40. I have heard a few people say they like the LC9 Ruger. I have also heard of the 9MM tumbling after the shot. I will value any incite you have, any arguments for or against a particular firearm.

I have been asked by my boss to carry a side arm for security, which I am fine with, I was planning on getting my concealed carry permit back again (I let it lapse several years ago and never renewed in). Back then I carried a P90DC (45). Its kick was a little more than I cared for. I am trying to decide between a subcompact 9MM or a 40. I have heard a few people say they like the LC9 Ruger. I have also heard of the 9MM tumbling after the shot. I will value any incite you have, any arguments for or against a particular firearm.

A .40 S&W might have a little more recoil then you like. I guess if the recoil is a issue look at the 9MM. the thing about the Ruger LC9 is that it only hold 7 rounds (I believe), where as say a Taurus PT111 Millenium Pro 9MM holds 12 rounds. another option would be the Ruger SR9C(this is a compact model not a sub compact). the sub compact glock is also nice along with the sub compact springfield XD's. it depends on how much you want to spend. go to a shop and handle different models to see what feels best to you.

Back when I carried I had a .45 but would qualify with a 9mm also.I gotta say if I was doing it again today it would be a 9mm. Much easier to control and shoot+ 15 rounds is better than 9 when it comes down to it. I've been out of it for a while but would consider a Beretta or a Glock.

I do a lot of outdoor activity, fishing, camping, hunting, cutting wood, so I bought a cheap gun to carry when I am out doing my every day stuff. I bought a High-Point 9mm acp, it was cheap, and works good. It has been rained on, had sand get into it, and it still works good. The down side of it, is it is a little bulky, and a little on the heavey side.

I was just looking at the Ruger you mentioned, It looks good and the reviews sound good too. I also saw that glock has a nice little 10 round 40 cal. Is it X-mas again??? As far as the tumbling issue, I saw it again last night in a comment, the one I have heard about was from a cop in MN that shot a perp and the bullet went thru him, down a hallway then a door. Now I'm not sure what the exact bullet, but IF something would go down I don't want to say I shot someone on accident because of it.

Glock and Springfield are also very good guns, no personal experience with glock, but one thing I dont like about the xds is that with the 9 roud clip is all my fingers wouldn't fit on the handle. With the ruger 9 round clip, it comes with 2 different floor plates so you can have it flat or with a finger extension so all fingers are on the handle improving your aiming.

I'd seriously consider a Glock 19. A friend of mine uses one as his concealed carry gun and I think it fits that situation perfectly. I don't have large hands and this gun feels great in my hand. He's also got a Hogue slip on grip on the handle which I really like too.

I carry a Glock 21 45 ACP for work, but it is really too big to comfortably carry as a concealed carry gun.

I'm gonna add a Glock 19 to my collection before too long.

I'm also impressed with the Smith and Wesson M&P. Deputies I know carry it in 40 caliber and that grip feels great in my hand too. While I haven't shot it, they say it's a great shooter, as is my Glock.

Brian

I went to Gander last night and Fondled a few and just sorta drueled over the others. I tried the Glock 27 but it was a little too short in my hand (my pinky never touched the grip), wish they had a little finger grip on the mag. I loved the SR40C though! It fit great. The money is close enough on either brand so at least I'm down to 2 brands!

Notime, I see your down to the two but I would seriously consider the 40 cal Springfield XDM. It has a 16 clip magazine and I carry it most days with no discomfort at all. Very nice, high quality pistol that shoots well. Pick one up and see how it feels. I would also suggest going somewhere to shoot these pistols before you buy. reviews are nice and how it fits your hand is paramount but how comfortable you feel shooting it is first and foremost. I've known a lot of guys that buy a handgun before shooting it and end up not caring for it afterwards.

My last one I went to the store with my heart set on an XDM. But, after feeling a bunch of other models (pretty much every one). I ended up coming home with a SR9C, which I really like. It just fit my hand the best. It has a 10round and a 17 round mag. The 17 rounder is longer than the handle and has a grip extension.

But, depending on what I'm wearing (at work its often a suit, that I ditch the jacket to, I have a little 380 to keep in the pocket.(S&W Bodyguard)) (this isn't mine, but shows the size)

smith_and_wesson_bodyguard_380_pistol-tf

A 380 you'll carry because it's light and easy is better than the 45 you leave at home for the opposite reason.

On another note, my brother and I were out shooting his new XDM 45. To me the felt recoil didn't seem much if any more than my LC9. 'Course, the LC9 is smaller and weighs about 1/2 as much too.

136FD313-1AF8-4AC7-B84A-CD8F9694A75B-223

Bottom left is a Taurus Millenium Pro PT-145, top right is a diamondback db9. The db9 is th smallest, slimmest, lightest 9mm on the market. The Taurus is a double stack subcompact .45 auto. Db9 holds 6+1 and weighs 11 ounces and is .80 inches wide, the Taurus holds 10+1 (12+1 if I use 24/7 mags) and weighs over 20 ounces. Guess which one I carry more often?

If you guessed the db9 you're wrong. In my galco king-tuk, the .45 Is waaaaaay more comfortable than the smallest 9mm on the planet. I have literally slept with it on (falling asleep on the couch by accident haha) and literally forget its there. The proper holster makes or breaks your carry option. Don't go out and buy a handgun just because someone else says it would make the "perfect" carry gun. Find something you are comfortable with, can shoot comfortably, and you're way more likely I carry it. Bigger isn't always better, and on that note, neither is smaller. Your holster choice will make up for the size, or lack thereof, of your carry piece and will complete the package.

Well, I pulled the trigger today. I went bigger than I had planned but I shot a gen 3 this morning and it was actually better than I expected. What you may ask did I buy? I got the last Glock 22 generation 4 they had at R & R arms. They still had a compact 10mm, but that was the only 2 they had. I couldn't find a sr40c or 9c anywhere up here. I picked up the last 2 15 round mags they had too. They were really picked over.