• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best electric fillet knife?

Mick Jigger

I became a big fan of my electric Rapala knife several years back, but it finally bit the dust and they've discontinued this particular model. Any suggestions on a good replacement that has a standard plug (no adapter), a powerful motor and good blades?

Thanks!

I just asked my resident outdoorsman at work about this last week. He has burned through a few E.F.K. and had a few he didn't like. He said if you are working with 110 volts all the time to just get a $10 turkey carver with straight blades. They work as well as any other EFK and are much cheaper to replace. If you are hung up on having a curved blade made for fishing, American Angler makes a good knife. Never used a Mister Twister but he didn't care for them. All I can say is that I am not a big fan of the trigger switch on my year-old Rapala knife.

I became a big fan of my electric Rapala knife several years back, but it finally bit the dust and they've discontinued this particular model. Any suggestions on a good replacement that has a standard plug (no adapter), a powerful motor and good blades?

Thanks!

The current Rapala electric fillet knives are very good in either the 12 or 110 volt model.

The American Angler 110 volt was the best. (buy the yellow and black one, the cheaper grey models don't seem to work as well.

The worst model I've ever used was the Mister Twister 110 volt.

I have 2 rapala electric knives. First one i paid $25, 2nd one i only paid $5 at Berkely outlet. Agree with the above comment, they're all the same. I have 3 or 4 backup knives ($2 each) but also picked up a knife sharpener that will do serrated blades..So i should be good for while.

FIrst electric knife i ever used to clean a fish, that sold me on electric knives...Was one meant for cutting bread

I use mine qutie a bit, I get the cheapo's at Fishermans Factory Outlet, the Pure Fishing outlet store so if I burn through them it's not too bad.

I do have the Mr Twister Salt Water Edition for my walleye's because they have a better gear system I think. I use my others on a few walleye and any panfish. It's just quicker and easier for me to whip em out. I have many nice fillet knifes that are used once in a while, but not too often. I can't wait to eat them, so I bring out the electric most every time.

I use a Mr Twister with the stock blade. I have also modified the curved blades from my battery powered Rapala knife to fit in the Mr Twister. There are times I like the straight blade and times I like the curved.

I'm using the my firtst electric now and it's a Rapala. I can't say I have any brand or model preferance other than the blades. I've heard there are other brands that will accept the Rapala blades but you'd have to do a little research to figure out which ones will work.

I use mine for all sizes of fish and like the fact that Rapala offers a 9" blade when it's time for cutting up lake trout or salmon. I do use a non electric for removing the skin and rib bones. You will also find that an electric will keep your standard knife in better shape by not having to hack through the rib bones on crappie. After using an electric for the last couple of years I can honestly say I won't be without one again.

Remember though, too sharp of blades can make a real mess because they are thinner(up and down size not thickness of blades) and don't lay on the backbone, therefore they cut through a lot of times. Cheapies or Mr Twister for me. IMHO

I'm gonna revive this.... My Mr. Twister with straight blades is giving me fits and is going to be retired to the camper. The majority of the fish I catch are in the winter and get cleaned at home. I was thinking about going with the curved blade design this go around. I have a hard time removing rib bones w/ the straight mister twister and think that a curved blade would do the trick. I have seen that Rapala has some battery options, but the last thing that I need is another charger to keep track of. Given that this is a 6 yo thread... what is everyone's thoughts on today's electric knives? are the American Angler's worth 2x the price of the rapala brand?

I have a rechargeable Rapala. I know what you mean about having another charger to keep track of, but I really like not having a cord to deal with. Especially when you're cleaning them in summer and they're still flopping around.

3 minutes ago, Getanet said:

I have a rechargeable Rapala. I know what you mean about having another charger to keep track of, but I really like not having a cord to deal with. Especially when you're cleaning them in summer and they're still flopping around.

What sort of battery life have you been getting?