• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much ice before you will fish?

Sam Smith

Depends on type of body of water you're on for me - river, shallow lake, deep lake, big lake, small lake. My ice thickness lithmus test will vary for each spot.

I will not hesitate to fish on 2" of clear ice if the conditions are right. If my chisel consistantly goes through in one stab I'm thinking twice about fishing that day.

This is my first year of serious solo fishing and I'm the paranoid type so 4-6" for me, prefer closer to 6" being I'm not as experienced. I've been out plenty but generally under the guidance of a friend or relative. If I can't be comfortable with it, I won't go. Not going to sit on the ice and worry the whole time.

Reply all: That's what she said

But especially to this one LOL laugh

This is my first year of serious solo fishing and I'm the paranoid type so 4-6" for me, prefer closer to 6" being I'm not as experienced. I've been out plenty but generally under the guidance of a friend or relative. If I can't be comfortable with it, I won't go. Not going to sit on the ice and worry the whole time.

I'm a wimp...I wait for at least 4''. If anything is sketchy (as in, possible current or heavy snowfall), I wait for more. I have nightmares about falling through thin ice, and after falling through (near shore) on late ice, I've become comfortable letting the early-ice guys get out and catch those early fish....I'll stay on shore 'til it's stupidly "safe."