• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smart Phone Technology - A new opportunity for ice fishing electronics?

bk_MN_iceman

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you find it for free? Cabelas Recon fish in AppStore for iPhone is 4.99.

Unless your willing to pay a yearly premium fee $30 on top of the $5 the Cabelas Recon Fish app its pretty much worthless. Heck they shouldn't even be charging $5 for this. It should be free cause you cant access anything without signing up for the membership. Dont make the mistake i did without reading the fine print first. Disappointing...

If your want lake maps stick with Navionics app.

Unless your willing to pay a yearly premium fee $30 on top of the $5 the Cabelas Recon Fish app its pretty much worthless. Heck they shouldn't even be charging $5 for this. It should be free cause you cant access anything without signing up for the membership. Dont make the mistake i did without reading the fine print first. Disappointing...

If your want lake maps stick with Navionics app.

+1000

I installed this morning and have already deleted. Pointless app if you ask me. Anything it offers is either on the Navionics App which I already have in FAR greater detail OR available via some other FREE app that doesnt require some stupid membership.

There's 10 minutes of my life I will never get back.

If you have an iPhone and looking for a actual waterproof case, the Lifeproof case is nice and can be submersed to 6 feet for over 30 minutes. Comparable in price to Otterbox. Cool for taking underwater pics and vids.

I don't think smartphones can replace some things well. Besides the battery life issue, it's just the touchscreen input doesn't bode well in winter with gloves. I'm all about big knobs and dials. Big screens. I have a friend who uses his smart phone GPS for hunting. Here again, poor battery life, small screen, need to stop walking in order to do anything or see anything.

It's like the new touchscreen systems going into car dashes now. Give me clear knobs and dials with tactile feedback so I can change the radio or turn up the heat without having to take my eyes off the road!

Touch screens only work well in controlled environments when total focus can be put on them.

For android is is free. It does everything the $15 Navionics does.

It may be free to download currently for Android users but the app itself is no way free.

The Android version currently gives you a trial: Recon Elite membership for FREE for 14 days only. On the iOS version the trial is 7 days only.

After that you have to pay $30 for the elite membership yearly just to access its features and lake maps. That's a thumbs down from me.

The app is surpising fast loading, but pales in comparison for detailed lake maps vs Navionics.

I have a friend who uses his smart phone GPS for hunting. Here again, poor battery life, small screen, need to stop walking in order to do anything or see anything.

In regards to the battery life. I have an old smartphone that when connected to the network would last for 8 hours on standby. If I played with it on an airplane connected to wifi I could kill it inside of an hour and a half. In airplane mode with no signal I was able to use gps apps for two days straight while elk hunting on a single battery charge. My new phone (samsung s3) is fantastic on battery life while being faster still.

Like all android platforms go, there are different things to tinker with. Find out the most efficient setting to run your phone and don't play on it. It might last long enough. Touchscreens take a long time to get used to, but eventually you'll look at your laptop and try pinch zooming it.

I agree - I actually have an old cell phone that I was thinking of using as strictly my GPS both in car and on lake. Since it is no longer activated with service I would just need to download the apps/maps over wifi before heading to the lake.

Food for thought.

I had recon for a few days...But it is a data sucker...and the trial apparently ran up. So i got the navionics, downloaded the lake maps for all of minnesota and wisconsin. It'll work for what i need it for.

I've got my HB898 when i want to be spot on the spot.

I agree - I actually have an old cell phone that I was thinking of using as strictly my GPS both in car and on lake. Since it is no longer activated with service I would just need to download the apps/maps over wifi before heading to the lake.

Food for thought.

I bought a mind condition Droid a couple years ago for 100 bucks and thats all I've ever used it for, Navionics and the camera which is a good one. I have never hooked up the phone service on it.

I used the Navionics App for the Iphone Way cheaper than buying an GPS. They do make some Cell phones that are waterproof. I have seen DeadEye1JM drop his phone down the hole and then catch it off the bottom of the lake. Pretty Sweet and it still worked for like 4 more years. They are coming a long way with the phones these days.

I could definately see an option to send a phone message when it goes off on a Frabil Calibrator. I really like the ability to see the amount of line out, and even better how much line the fish has taken, but $40 has scared me away so far. If they had the ability to send a phone message I would splurge no problem.

Since I am stuck with a Crackberry for a phone, I can only dream of being cool and having useful apps.

I did talk to a guy recenty that had an iPhone that he had isses with battery life. He bought a rechageable device that plugged into his phone and almost tripled his battery life. When plugged in it only added about another inch to the phone. He really thougt it was the bomb.

As for waterproof. My "waterproof" Garmin GPS always goes in a waterproff case after the sucker cost me $100 for repair after a water incident. I buy the waterproof bags from REI by Seabag and others Not sure if they would work on touch screens or not but they do float. I have a number of them and anytime I go where there may be water all my electrncis go in them.

I used the Navionics App for the Iphone Way cheaper than buying an GPS. They do make some Cell phones that are waterproof. I have seen DeadEye1JM drop his phone down the hole and then catch it off the bottom of the lake. Pretty Sweet and it still worked for like 4 more years. They are coming a long way with the phones these days.

"As long as it works in the shower."

The new technology is absolutely amazing!!! From the main towers those with admin priveleges can search "texts for key words", search conversations for "key phrases", triangulate your physical location and calculate GPS coordinates leaving almost nothing to the imagination.

Aint' it wonderful???