• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to Archery. First bow. Need your help.

bASS_BLASTER

I'm new to Archery. I'm deciding on a Mathews Z7 or Z7 Xtreme. I figured I buy used and get a little more out of my $. I have considered other brands but like I said, buy use and get the most out of my $.

I'm 5'6" about 160.

Here are the two bows.

z7 is just bare bow for $550

z7 xtreme is a complete package and ready to shoot for $750.

I don't know the used value on these bows so any input would help.

I would NEVER buy a used bow without shooting it first, UNLESS you know exactly what you want. With that being said, shoot them both and see which one just plain feels better to you.

Good luck!

Prices sound fair I guess, assuming they are no more than a year or two old. A new Z7 is goin' for almost a grand.

Gotta add though, if you're new to the sport, I'd still recommend shooting one first. If you're buying on-line without getting to shoot it, what you end up with may not fit you. At least go to a shop where you can shoot a similar bow to be sure the draw length and poundage you're ordering are going to work for you.

No bow is a bargain if it doesn't fit you.

Agree with Donbo, you are also picking some pretty high end bows that are not terribly forgiving of poor form for your first bow. Not saying you won't shoot it well, just saying I hope you have good form. grin Sounds to me like you have already either shot these or have shot bows before and know what you want. I think the prices are OK for these bows, anything you can get to go with, cases, arrows, etc... will be a bonus. Be sure the drawlength is right. If not, you will be very disappointed and it will be a waste of money.

I've shot a Martin Speedfire, a bowtech and hoyt (forget the models of the two). Held the mathews z7 xtreme and it was so much lighter and compact. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to shoot the mathews it in a living room.

Currently the draw length of the two are 28 or 29. And I'm 5'6" and I measured my wingspan. 63.75" / 2.5 = 25.5". Can these DL be adjusted by a shop?

I am not new to archery and I know I want nothing to do with short light bows ! Mathews are not adjustable like most . Your pic by your name looks like your against Brand names , But you are looking at buying a Mathews ! The biggest of brand names ! lol .. I would look at bows 33 - 35 in long ata , with some adjustment and don't get cot up in ibo speeds !

I know, my avatar/pic is contradicting. LOL... I don't mind any brand name as long as it fits my needs. I've looked around and so far these two fit my need for used and local buy. If a good bow pops up for sale that meets my criteria, feel free let me know. Any feedback of any brand is welcome.

The z7 and z7 extreme are far from light, compact sure. True that Mathews cams are not adjustable, draw length specific. So make sure that it is in your length or you will have to get a new cam. 550 for the z7 isn't bad but the 750 for the extreme is high. You could get a leftover helim for around 800. But with that said I think Mathews are way over priced for what you get. Another thing is that Mathews have the absolute worst balance going, Helim is the best in that regards.

Used bows are always a shot in the dark, most are ok, but you just never know how they were handled.

I shoot the Mathews HeliM and absolutely am sold on it!

Some say too light, too short, but at my stature (5'7" and 160 and a draw length of 26.5"), and an experienced shooter, it was the bow for me.

Buying a used Mathews with the wrong cam will add another $50-$75 to the deal to properly cam it.

Another vote for going to an archery shop and trying some out. Even if you don't give them your business on that day (though you may just find a good release or something else worth picking up), you can at least find a comfortable draw length and weight.

I'll tell you that if I had self-measured draw length and guessed on what I could pull, particularly because I find using a release changes a lot of that, I would have been off by a surprising amount and had an uncomfortable bow to shoot.

I agree with everyone that says find a pro shop!! I have bought 3 bows in the last ten years, and all were new and from a bow shop. I have seen to many guys/gals go buying used from someone to only find out it wont work or they have to put $$$ into the bow to get it going. I am sold on buying new, if you are willing to spend $750 now, hold off a month or two and save a few more dollars and get a new, fit for you bow!! I have always been happy doing this, and I believe you will also!!

Thanks to all your feedback, my wife and close friends I backed out and decided to hold out until next season to buy new or find a good deal. I've gone to a shop and shot many different bows. Technologies these days makes all bows of all brands amazing. Big difference in price range and performance. Hunting season is done for me, just waiting for the ice then will start looking after open water fishing.

Thanks all!

If you plan on hunting next fall, be prepared for at least a couple months of practice before then to ensure you're good enough to take a deer cleanly.

Please don't wait till next Sept/Oct to buy a bow that you plan on hunting with.

I am new bow hunter, haven't shot a deer yet smile but two Januarys ago I got a Diamond, a model that was closing out. It really shoots nice, and got it at pretty decent price - meaning the ready to hunt type package with case, arrows, broadheads (I upgraded since) and all the ncessary stuff. NAP rest...

anyway, cost me $500 and am covered. Will maybe get better sight eventually, but it really surprised me and buddies who are seasoned bow guys (Hoyt, etc.) how good of stuff you can get for not that high price... Good luck. I have done more target shooting than hunting and hopefully next year get to let an arrow fly at meat wink

I would also add to go to a pro shop. If I were you I would try and bring both bows you are looking at purchasing and bring them to a pro shop and shoot them. Have the shop watch you and help you out on the decision. They may also help you on what a fair price is. They may also try and sell you one of theirs too, so look out for that if it isn't what you want to do. It sounds like you will need some gear so make sure they know you will be buying it all from them and maybe you will have to pay some for range time. You really want to make sure the bow fits YOU then look at price and brand and size and ... My $.02.

Best idea is doing what you are. Start shooting this winter find a bow you like. A-1 archery is a great place to start. They will have you all setup and you can put a bow on hold and make payments. I would stay away from the Z7 Extreme. The Z7 is the better of the two from when I shot them. I also have two friends that walked into the shop bought two Z7 Extremes and nothing else just cause they were matthews and now they've shot my bow and a few others and mad they did not do more shooting of other bows. MAke sure you shoot a bunch and narrow it down to a couple and which ever one you keep going back to is the one I would pick. It was very tough call for me between the Helium and Element. Good luck finding your bow.

I was kind if in your shoes last winter. I had not hunted with a bow in 10 years and got back into it last January. Bows had changed a ton in those 10 yrs so I was starting from scratch. I went to probably 5 shops and shot all the top bows, narrowed it down to a Hoyt carbon element and a Mathews Helim. Went back and shot both of them a few times before choosing the Helim. Put in the time to test all of them, and shoot them a few times and get what you are comfortable with. They are a $$$ investment so choose wisely and you'll be happy.