• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Home Invasion Safety: What shotgun do you prefer?

Hmmm.... Sounds as if one, m-a-y-b-e two posters here have had first had experience.

Besides my everyday carry, my primary H.D. firearm is a 18" smooth barreled 870, sportin' a youth butt stock. Patterned to 35' with #4 buck. Improved cylinder seemed to work best for me. The whole gun is nice and short but easily shouldered and brought to the target. Best thing about it is that it looks quite benign, like "Daddy's old duck gun". Nothing fancy. No lights or lasers. Just meat and potatoes.

My pistol will get me to my shotgun and that will get me to my rifle if need be. However... I hope and pray I'll never have to test that.

I have little kids. I also have a "gun" room. This door stays locked with a high hook the kids can't reach, the gun safe is locked, but the keys hang in a secure place that only I know of. There is ammo in the cupboards, if I ever get into the unfortunate circumstance I'll grab what's close and get it into the first shotgun I grab. I have been wanting to put an electronic deadbolt on that door for a long time. I just have not gotten around to it. My kids are never to go in that room. They know that and listen. 3 different safety precautions would have to fail before my kids or any other would be able to get at the guns and the ammo, but I can access them quickly and in seconds.

However, to argue a point made earlier, BREACHING, or knocking down a door, is done with a shotgun. ENTRY is done with a handgun or submachine gun, which is a compact, barely-bigger-than-a-handgun weapon that shoots handgun ammo, aka mp5, mp7, etc.

I must say it's been a while since I've seen someone BREACH with a shotgun. What are they doing, blowing out the hinges or the lock? Sounds like more Hollywood theatrics. I'm pretty sure this little tool gets the nod for actually knocking down the door.

large_ram.jpg

I'm still curious as to the need for a shotgun in a police cruiser if a pistol is better or close quarters given its shorter, and a shotgun would assumably not be better for long range, given its spread with any type of shot (not including a slug). So, for what then?

Entry team:

171-0804062601-SWAT-near-Car.jpg

I'm seeing a sub-machine gun (probably MP5 or UMP), a longgun (assumably a 308 for the sniper), a shotgun, an AR/M16/M4, and an unknown longgun.

Of course all these guys have sidearms as well, but with the exception of the sharpshooter (who would grab his sidearm if he had to enter), who will carry what in?

Ultimately, it's your and your family's life, and it's your choice of what to use in the unfortunate event of a home invasion. Personally, my ideal is a shotgun. With that said, I dont have a shotgun close at hand in my house, I have a handgun. I'd like to have a shotgun at the ready, but at the moment, I dont have a secure place to put one in my bedroom. Yet another thing on the to-do list.

Ever try carrying a 150lb entry tool in your load out? I wouldn't recommend it. In that pic I can tell you order of entry. Shotgun guy is the breacher, who uses his shotgun breakout the locks/hinges/door knob out. No, that's not just Hollywood, that's legit. And the breaches is usually the last of the squad that enters. First in is Mp5 guy who is point. M4 guy is point backup. G3 guy is 2ndary backup/cleanup/security. Lastly I'm pretty sure that squad is not American, as I've never seen an American squad with a G3.

Oh, and the shotgun is for open area engagements. If there's a shoot out at a traffic stop or hostage standoff or whatever else, the shotgun comes out. Whether its filled with slugs or buckshot, you'll get a lot more range out of a shotgun than a handgun. My bro-in-law who is highway patrol declined the department issued 870 and bought his own m4. He wanted a little more range, penetration and magazine capacity.

Ever try carrying a 150lb entry tool in your load out? I wouldn't recommend it.

150lbs huh, that's a new one. Most 1 man rams are 30-40 lbs, most 2 man are 40-55 lbs.

When push comes to shove, I will be sitting in my room, with a shotgun pointed at the door. No need to be going room to room, no need to get 13 shots off, no need to even have a battering ram smile .

It does sound like some people here are expecting they'll need to defend their home against an army of well trained ninja assasins and a final room by room sweep will need to be conducted to ensure every ninja has two in the chest.

In reality the intruder is likely to be some punk kid with his pants hanging down around his knees. He'll be more interested in your ipad and liquor supply then anything else. Loud foot steps, a dog park, or a quick mention that you have a gun will be more than enough to get him to run for the hills.

Shotgun????? to big and bulky....

Someone breaks into my crib they will have a .45 with a green laser pointed between there eyes. The strobe will definatly disoriant a person but the laser alone might deture a person.

Probably will never have to use it but it is cool as hell! lol

Reading this thread reminds me why so much double aught buck shot and home defender rounds are showing up at the Outdoor Big Boxes. Even a couple shooting academies to train in the newbie with a piece. Coupled with four more years of Obama, Pittman Robertson excise taxes are setting records!

Sorry to get off topic. I sleep with one eye open and I can have my 870 racked up in under a minute. But I'm sure my lab would lick the guy to death first! laugh

As long as you wear your seatbelt in the car, helmet on a motorcycle, life jacket in the boat, have a hunting plan you don't deviate from (and let your friend/spouse know the plan) before heading out, use a haul line for bringing weapons into a hunting stand, get yearly physicals, bi-annual dental checkups, put 10% or more of every paycheck away for a rainy day...etc, I don't have a problem with someone safely keeping a tool for home defense accessible to responsible adults.

Just please remember to take care of the problems that are far more likely to happen as well, please.

I have every room in my house wired with C-4 explosive. One "bump" in the night and I'll blow my house and any subsequent intruder(s) to smithereens. Maybe not the cleanest method, and collateral damage is a certainty, but why take a chance that they might escape?

I must say it's been a while since I've seen someone BREACH with a shotgun. What are they doing, blowing out the hinges or the lock? Sounds like more Hollywood theatrics.

Check out the Mossberg 500 Chainsaw it is designed for just this. How much use it actually see probably nothing outside training or military combat situations.

Yeah, they are certainly out there. I tell ya what though, you wouldn't catch me standing within 3 feet of a shotgun fired at wood and/or metal door and and hinges. Make sure ya got your face shields down boys!

Lets just hope they start getting the correct houses when they are using shotguns for breaching.