• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finally got my crappie back from the taxidermist.

walleyewess

WalleyeWess:

Is it the actual fish or a replica? I have a 15.5" crappie in the freezer....my PB caught last year. A friend told me to wrap it tightly in a wet towel, I did and it messed it up. When I unwrapped it recently it tore some of the scales off....bummer...it was a beautiful fish. If he can do replicas and fix the problem area I'd like to bring it to him, what is his contact info?

Yep Scott Dezurik, I still have to bring him a drake mallard to have done he does some really good work.

bbfenatic

I do not know if he does replicas or not my fish is not a replica. He might be able to do something about it but im not sure. If you want to give him a call let me know i will give u his number

WalleyeWess:

Is it the actual fish or a replica? I have a 15.5" crappie in the freezer....my PB caught last year. A friend told me to wrap it tightly in a wet towel, I did and it messed it up. When I unwrapped it recently it tore some of the scales off....bummer...it was a beautiful fish. If he can do replicas and fix the problem area I'd like to bring it to him, what is his contact info?

Did you thaw the towel and fish in water first?

As stupid as it sounds...no, and that is what caused the problem. Didn't think to let it thaw first, just unwrapped it. It unwrapped fine until I got to the fish then it did tear a small chunk of the skin on one side...I am so bummed. Actually I am hoping to catch a big gill and maybe another 15+" Crappie then mount all 3 together as I have a piece of driftwood I have been saving that will be perfect for the 3 but if that does not happen by Jan 1 then going to have the one crappie mounted.

Yea fellas wrap the fish with saran wrap then take 5-6 soaking wet pages of newspapers then wrap it up with a plastic bag. I've had fish in the freezer up to two yrs. before mounting and are still in excellent shape. Wet towels are the worst thing to use they give the fish a blotchy pattern that makes it hard to airbrush evenly and the fish will freezer burn easier.

As long as he likes it that is all that matters. Besides, whos to say it didnt have that color when he set the hook? They dont all look the same you know. I had a bad mount on a 16.75 inch crappie, nothing more upsetting to be reminded of that. The shmuck that did the mount told me he did it the way he likes it to look not how I wanted it to be and to go out and catch another one and he'd give me a break on the price. Yeah right, first off let me go and land another because its not hard to catch one that size and second Im gonna use you again pal. His fish, he likes it, he paid for it, keep your opinion to yourself

Color looks very dull and fish never look as big bent like that. I think it is a poor mount but to each his own. For those who don't know better I would not say this is a good mount. 2c

You know what they say about opinions don't you.

Opinions are like a holes. Everyone has them but nobody wants to hear them, especially if they stink.

But since we're sharing opinions I think the mount looks great. I'd be happy to have it hanging on my wall.

Color looks very dull and fish never look as big bent like that. I think it is a poor mount but to each his own. For those who don't know better I would not say this is a good mount. 2c

Dang man, sounds like you're just saying that to be rude. I think it's a pretty nice looking mount. Plus you really can't count on a photograph with flash, then encoded by your computer monitor to give 100% accurate color anyway.

This is a 15.5 incher i recently had done. The taxidermist told me in the past to take good care of the fish (keeping it alive as long as possible) and then covering it with Borax and freezing it with the fins tucked in when you get home. This helps preserve the true colors.

Resampled_2012-12-11_15-02-57_559.jpg

Why would he put it on here if he didn't want comments? At least it wasn't a big one. 14" is a good eater.

Dude- what is your deal? A 14 incher is a great fish. To many people this IS a real trophy. Congrats to you on that being an average "eater" and not a trophy...you are a great fisherman, we are all happy for you.

Back to the original poster...Congrats on your trophy and ignore TRZ