• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muzzy bullets

Just wondering what everyone is shooting and what they think of them? The last 2 years ive shot the 245 grain hollow point power belts and didnt care for them much. I did a little research and there were some bad reviews on them so i ordered the barnes spitfire t-ezload. i liked what i saw for reviews and balistics. anyone else ever shoot powerbelts or the barnes? if so what did ya think of em.

I've shot T/C shockwaves - hard to load in my gun (T/C encore), powerbelts - super easy to load but not as accurate and sometimes they break up on impact, T/C superglides - good but the 300 grain dropped a fair amount out of my gun at 100 yards.

I have now switched to Barnes Spitfire T-ez loads in 250 grain. Reports are good for these copper bullets and loading in my gun is easy. I haven't yet shot a deer with them but recovered a few out of a sand bank and was impressed with the way they expanded and held together. They look deadly to me. I just got back from shooting a few earlier today. I like the accuracy and good to go with hunting this year. I do however want to play with powder amounts a bit more. Only problem is they are a little hard to find. The big C store carries them full time though.

I am just getting into the muzzy world.

Picked up a TC Triumph.

Based on all the great info on this site and some advice of others I went with the Triple 7 propellant.

I went with the Shock Wave bullets. I picked up 200 and 250 grain.

Going out to start practicing today so we will see how it goes.

One question I had was are all Shock wave bullets sabots and if not what are your thoughts on sabot vs not?

I shot my first deer with the smoke pole yesterday! I've a lot of deer bow hunting and rifle season. I've had my muzzle-loader for about 4 years now and have shot a lot at targets and have a group at 100yd that is about the size of a coffee cup. I shoot T/C shockwave 250grain and when I shot my deer it didn't expanded that much about the size little bigger then a nickle. Is there a better bullet to shoot I will not shoot powerbelts. any thoughts?

Thanks

Buckeyes, ive started shooting barnes t-ez load sabots. Let me tell ya accuracy is 2nd to none! I pulled one out of the dirt from target shooting and it was at least twice the size the starting diameter and the petals didnt break off. I will be sticking with these for a while!

I shot my first this weekend as well. I was using a barnes T EZ (???) load as well, I have a .45 cal. 195 grain with 100 grns 777 pellets. It did the trick, but left me really no blood trail... Deer was mostly broadside with a slight 1/4 towards me... shot it right in front of shoulder blade, nicked the heart, and made a bloody mess of him inside. He went about 125 yds and crashed. I have not cut it up yet to see if that bullet is lodged in his other shoulder, or where it went yet... I had limited time to sight in the gun with the bullets, so I started with 2 pellets of 777, and stuck with it... I think I will try stepping it up to three and see how accuracy is once i get some time to shoot this winter. Bullets for the .45 are really hard to find, I ended up at the big C, and still only had a few options. May try online in prep for next year...

I have shot deer with powerbelts and TC shockwaves. I have no problem with accuracy but am disappointed with both bullets breaking up upon penetration. Was going to try Barns this year, but can't find any in stock anywhere.

I'm with Eric and old school I guess, 370 grain maxiball, original blackpowder, when you hit it's game over, the shock is just too much. Dead on at 100 yards, never touched the sights ever, there will be no experimenting with anything else the rest of my days.

I have shot deer with powerbelts and TC shockwaves. I have no problem with accuracy but am disappointed with both bullets breaking up upon penetration. Was going to try Barns this year, but can't find any in stock anywhere.

Were you shooting the 245gr PB?

I know several guys who had this issue with that particular bullet for some reason. Neve had the issue with teh 295gr PB though.

I shoot the TC 250 grain shockwave also and they expand about the same and I for one am very happy with them. I you look at the bulet and compare it to the after effects like your talking To me that is very good. You have to look at it this way also the Muzzy doesnt have the same impact velocities as a regular bullet so The expnsion will be less not that much but less no doubt.JMO

I have shot several different bullets and I found the same with the powerbelts so I stepped up as Borch was talking and had great luck with those also. I switched to the shock waves because I got a screaming, close out deal on them a few years baxk and bought 100 of them for the price of 10 tough not to lik them an they kill deer.

I shot two deer with the 245 G powerbelts and there was no exit wounds. One of the bullets came apart. Last year I shot a deer with the shockwave and it exploded on impact. It clipped the shoulder and sent lead flying thouought the carcas. I had to thouw one complete front quarter away plus some other meat. It was the messiest deer I have ever butchered. They were all killing shots, but my search continues for a bullet that I feel comfortable with.

Those Hornady XTPs sure do the trick. I buy the bullets in a box of 100 for about $23 then get the crushed rib or ex glide sabots separately. I have the .452 diameter 250 grain XTPs with the black sabot and they are super accurate and are a time tested bullet. Way cheaper to shoot that most prepackaged muzzleloader marketed alternatives too.

Those Hornady XTPs sure do the trick. I buy the bullets in a box of 100 for about $23 then get the crushed rib or ex glide sabots separately. I have the .452 diameter 250 grain XTPs with the black sabot and they are super accurate and are a time tested bullet. Way cheaper to shoot that most prepackaged muzzleloader marketed alternatives too.

This is what my first bullets were when I started. Great combo