• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Dodge Hemi MPG?

My Current truck is a f150 EcoBoost. My previous truck was a dodge Durango 4.7. I was lucky to see 15-16 mpg on the highway with the dodge. I seen dodge lately stating the Hemi gets 25 mpg. How can that be? The hemi has been out for a several years now. All of a sudden 25mpg's. Anyone own one that can tell me that they get that good of mpg's?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I test drove one before buying my Ford. That one got no where near that.If it would have than I may have one in my garage. It was a TV commercial that I saw the 25mpg. The commercial was about the hemi powered dodge Ram saying how it was the most powerful. Than said Best in class 25mpg. Saying something that ford and chevy couldnt do. Figured it was not true. or for a undered powered 2wd truck.

I drive a Dodge Ram ext. cab 4wd with the 4.7L and the deeper rear gears (3.92??). The way I drive I get 17-18mpg, but I really don't doubt I could get 20, maybe more, driving it easy.

I've seen folks with the Hemi say they get about the same mileage as I describe, and say they probably could get more. Problem is, driving conditions and style vary so much it's hard to draw a firm conclusion.

Probably need to find the fine print that's behind that 25mpg claim. It may well be true, but that doesn't mean it's true for all driving conditions and styles.

Quote:

Problem is, driving conditions and style vary so much it's hard to draw a firm conclusion.

Probably need to find the fine print that's behind that 25mpg claim. It may well be true, but that doesn't mean it's true for all driving conditions and styles.

MacGuyver cleared it up already, their HSOforum shows 25 mpg on the 3.6L V6. Here's the "fine print" (read: headline) from the first google return when I searched "dodge ram 2013 25 mpg"

Quote:

2013 RAM 1500 Rated Best-in-Class 18/25 MPG

Thanks to a new 3.6-liter V6 engine and an 8-speed automatic the 2013 RAM 1500 can now lay claim to being the most fuel efficient pickup in its segment.

With 42 percent more power and 13 percent more torque, fuel economy rises 20 percent to 18 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway. An optional 5.7-liter Hemi V8 is also offered mated to the same 8-speed transmission and makes 395 horsepower and 407 lb-ft of torque.

It was a TV commercial that I saw the 25mpg. The commercial was about the hemi powered dodge Ram saying how it was the most powerful. Than said Best in class 25mpg. Saying something that ford and chevy couldnt do. Figured it was not true. or for a undered powered 2wd truck.

The were referring to the 2013 v6. For 2013 RAM is adding the Pentastar 3.6L V6 with a new ZF sourced 8-speed tranny. Both have gotten great reviews in other applications so far. I drove the combo in a rental Chrysler 300 and came away really impressed.

Halfway through 2013 the Hemi versions of the RAM will get an 8-speed as well, but that mileage hasn't been released yet, although is being projected in the 23HWY ballpark.

You piqued my interest. If I was driving a 15 mpg dodge ram with the 5.7 hemi as a primary vehicle (commuting with it, and towing my normal-sized fishing boat on occasion), and the hemi with 10,000 lb towing capacity was overkill for my needs (it is, since my boats aren't very heavy), I would definitely look at something like this that promises a 50-60% mileage gain. I happened to have bought a civic to do my daily driving, so I'm not really ALL that interested, but still I wanted to learn more.

So, I was on their HSOforum and selected the comparison vs their "competition" and about the only thing that really surprised me was that with 305 hp (3 more hp than the ford v6 they have listed), this rig is only rated to tow 4150 lbs or so, whereas the Ford they list was rated to tow 6100 lbs. I can't imagine where the low tow rating is coming from on this new low-displacement dodge pickup.

So, I was on their HSOforum and about the only thing that really surprised me was that with 305 hp (3 more hp than the ford ecoboost), this rig is only rated to tow 4150 lbs or so, whereas the ecoboost was rated to tow 6100 lbs. I can't imagine where the low tow rating is coming from on this new low-displacement dodge pickup.

Not sure where you got your Ecoboost number, but in the F150 its rated at 365HP + 420lb/ft TQ. The naturally aspirated (non turbo/ecoboost) v6 is rated at 302HP + 278 lb/ft TQ.

BTW, I on the RAM HSOforum it said the new 3.6 + 8-speed standard tow rating was 5600lbs. Make sure you're not looking at the old engine specs.

Not sure where you got your Ecoboost number, but in the F150 its rated at 365HP + 420lb/ft TQ. The naturally aspirated (non turbo/ecoboost) v6 is rated at 302HP + 278 lb/ft TQ.

BTW, I on the RAM HSOforum it said the new 3.6 + 8-speed standard tow rating was 5600lbs. Make sure you're not looking at the old engine specs.

I'm looking at the new specs on the dodge ram truck page, where you select the doge and then you do a "competitive" comparison versus chevy, ford, and nissan. I guess they have the F150 listed with the V6, but they chose to "compete" against the natural aspirated version and not the ecoboost. Sorry about that I was just assuming they didn't have two V6 options on the F150. I guess if the dodge has only 4150 lbs capacity it only makes sense that they compare against the wimpier Ford to not make themselves look to terrible.

Here's a screen shot below. I had the quad cab 4x4 short box selected on the dodge and I just let it select the other vehicles for me.

I'm guessing these specs listed are correct for Ford in the non-ecoboost configuration. What still surprises me is that they're listing a 4150 lb towing capacity for the RAM veruss 6100 for the ford. Again, I had selected the quad cab 4x4. When I go select the crew cab (slighly bigger than the quad cab) 4x2, they list 4350 lbs for the dodge. I guess maybe if you had a standard cab 4x2 it pobably goes to your 5600 lbs, but I'm really surprised they're trying to sell FULL SIZE pickups with a TON less towing capacity than the competition. (and even worse if you compete against the ecoboost!!!)

How do you think this 3.6 will fare? Methinks not too well with that small of a towing capacity. I think that >10k is a bit overkill on a 1/2 ton, but 4150 is underkill IMHO. Something in the 6-8k range would give a guy a little more confidence that you're not going to stress it out with a moderately sized boat, or heaven forbid a wheelhouse.

full-12739-26522-dodge_compare.png

I'm looking at the new specs on the dodge ram truck page, where you select the doge and then you do a "competitive" comparison versus chevy, ford, and nissan. I guess they have the F150 listed with the V6, but they chose to "compete" against the natural aspirated version and not the ecoboost. Sorry about that I was just assuming they didn't have two V6 options on the F150. I guess if the dodge has only 4150 lbs capacity it only makes sense that they compare against the wimpier Ford to not make themselves look to terrible.

Here's a screen shot below. I had the quad cab 4x4 short box selected on the dodge and I just let it select the other vehicles for me.

I'm guessing these specs listed are correct for Ford in the non-ecoboost configuration. What still surprises me is that they're listing a 4150 lb towing capacity for the RAM veruss 6100 for the ford. Again, I had selected the quad cab 4x4. When I go select the crew cab (slighly bigger than the quad cab) 4x2, they list 4350 lbs for the dodge. I guess maybe if you had a standard cab 4x2 it pobably goes to your 5600 lbs, but I'm really surprised they're trying to sell FULL SIZE pickups with a TON less towing capacity than the competition. (and even worse if you compete against the ecoboost!!!)

How do you think this 3.6 will fare? Methinks not too well with that small of a towing capacity. I think that >10k is a bit overkill on a 1/2 ton, but 4150 is underkill IMHO. Something in the 6-8k range would give a guy a little more confidence that you're not going to stress it out with a moderately sized boat, or heaven forbid a wheelhouse

Gotcha, I looked on the RAM HSOforum as well. The figure I quoted was with the regular cab, so the configuration obviously makes a difference. I am surprised it drops that much between the cab choices.

I don't, I have a feeling they will sell a ton of the v6's with that mileage for fleet delivery trucks and people that drive truck that don't tow much/ever. There are a lot of people that drive trucks like cars! smile

I agree, the configuration will be great for fleet operations, but I had originally figured they were trying to sell it to average homeowners and outdoorsmen like myself who tow regular-sized boats and whatnot, and for whom the 10k pound towing that the hemi has is overkill. I was hoping it was a little more usable, that's all. Sure, it's always been an option to get a tiny engine and neuter one's pickup for fleet operations, but the 2013 SLT and Sport 1500 are coming with this engine standard!! Above you see the specs as laid out on the 'default' SLT -- a $36k truck, not a fleetster by any stretch of the imagination. Wow.

As it is now, it's got less towing capacity than a toyota highlander or just about any "crossover" SUV on the market today --- and just BARELY more than their own GRAND CARAVAN minivan! LOL. This kind of weak performance is unheard of on the 'standard' engine for any full size pickup model.

Their horsepower and torque are almost identical to the naturally aspirated ford V6, so why the lower towing capacity?

I've been running CTDs in my Dodges since '02.

I had an '07 3500 Dump body that was starting to be a slight money pit, but even more so it was just a flat out pain to plow with the big dump on the back.

I decided with diesel prices vs gas that I wanted to try a 5.7L Hemi in a 2500.

Just running around on the freeway with the cruise set at 70, I can push 16. If I'm pulling my dump trailer, I can push 10 loaded with a couple of full cords of firewood.

If I'm pulling my enclosed trailers, I get about 9.5 and if I'm pulling the dump trailer with the tall leaf box on, about 8.5.

I have 3.73 (or whatever the Dodge rear ends are) Not the low, low or highest gears.

The trick, as with any vehicle is to keep your foot out.

When you DO shove the pedal to the floor, the truck FLIES!

My newest diesels get about 1-2 miles / gallon better than the Hemi. There are too many emission controls on the newer CTDs and it DESTROYS the mileage.

At this point, I would NEVER buy a new diesel truck.

I can drive about 200,000 miles before I would spend the $6,500 for the CTD engine, with my current mileage and the cost difference in fuel.

I hear ya LMN. I just traded in my '06 Ford diesel for an F150 ecoboost.

I track all my mileage on an app for my phone. My F350 averaged 30cents a mile. My new ecoboost is averaging 22 cents a mile and is still breaking in. Using my average miles thats $1200 a year, in fuel savings. I'm hoping this keeps up. My mileage has improved from 17mpg to 19mpg in the first 1500 miles and should go up more.

I'm loving what they are doing with these new trucks. I pulled my camper last weekend too and it was just like driving my 1ton.

I would like to hear from some people that have towed heavier loads with the ecoboost. I'm talking like say around 7000-9000 pounds, if the ford 150 even has that tow rating with the springs. Not overly familiar with the ford tow rating, but the chev 1500's come with only three springs, wondering about the ford 150 on that. If they do only have threee springs they really aren't meant to tow that range of 7000-9000 that I'm talking about. thx.

My newest diesels get about 1-2 miles / gallon better than the Hemi. There are too many emission controls on the newer CTDs and it DESTROYS the mileage.

That's interesting. I see lots of info on ag stuff and it sounds like people there are reporting better fuel economy with SCR.

If you're getting worse mileage it's not the SCR system doing it. DPF that requires regens...probably will get less fuel economy.

I would like to hear from some people that have towed heavier loads with the ecoboost. I'm talking like say around 7000-9000 pounds, if the ford 150 even has that tow rating with the springs. Not overly familiar with the ford tow rating, but the chev 1500's come with only three springs, wondering about the ford 150 on that. If they do only have threee springs they really aren't meant to tow that range of 7000-9000 that I'm talking about. thx.

The max tow weight on the ecoboost is 17,100 lbs. It can handle it too. I know of a few construction companies switching over from their 1 tons, and they are pulling skid loaders with them, and say they are better then the 6.0 was.

17,100 is a bit much for a half ton I have seen tow ratings in the 11,000 mark and I think that is crazy for a F150 I can tell you right now that the hitch they put on these trucks are not rated for that kind of weight. Ya I seen the tundra tow the shuttle but I think any of the trucks could have done it. As far as the milage goes I have the 2010 Ram hemi 1500 (3.55)and I get a consistent 16-17 where my 06 2500 CTD was 18-19 on average and my 03 hemi 1500(3.92)was a flat 11 but keep in mind I have had autostart on all of these that is used most every day for a couple min. at least

The Eco-boost is the best balance of HP/TQ/MPG's/towing right now, with the Hemi giving it a run for its money, once the 8-speed is implemented in a few months. The new Gen 5 Chevy Small blocks are coming out next year as well, so we'll have to wait and see what they spec out at. Lots of great options now and in the near future.

BTW, Ram is supposedly putting a light duty 3.0L Diesel unit in the RAM for model year 14' or 15'. Supposedly around 240HP, 400 lb/ft TQ, with a tow rating of 10,000 lbs and mid to upper 20's HWY MPG (w/ the new 8-speed when not towing). Its a Fiat/VM Motori engine currently used outside the US in the Grand Cherokee. The Cummins will remain the HD eninge.