• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Dodge Hemi MPG?

If they actually do that little diesel with the Ram I will get one. I have been waffling the past year with what to do for a truck and that would be money.

For what it's worth allegedly Titans are going to be getting a baby Cummins motor here soon too. (not that I recommend one of those to anyone LOL)

Its awesome they are able to do so much with the MPGs AND power now. Compare horesepower/mpgs from now vs 10 or 20 years ago. Crazy.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its awesome they are able to do so much with the MPGs AND power now. Compare horesepower/mpgs from now vs 10 or 20 years ago. Crazy.

Yeah, that's right. The power is something lots of people don't consider.

Sure, you might have gotten similar mileage back in the day...from your 165 horsepower beast that could barely get out of it's own way.

You get twice that power now, in a (likely) heavier truck, and the same or better gas mileage.

Wonder what the 3.0 diesel will get for mileage in a 1500 4x4 configuration. It is intriguing but it's going to have to get a heck of a lot more mileage than the ecoboost to be worthwhile, considering the engine will likely cost more to begin with and the fuel is roughly 20% more in cost. At 21 mpg for the 4x4 ecoboost, the 20% more that a diesel needs just to break even at fuel-dollars-per-mile would put it at just over 25. Iffin the engine costs a few grand more, there's a bunch more mileage it'll need to recoup that cost. I'm interested, but skeptical.

Luckily for me I think I have 11 more years to go on my current Dodge. I turned it into a recreational-use-only truck, and I started using a honda civic for everyday driving. If the next 10 are anything like the last 10 for horsepower and MPG gains, I'm in for a heck of a treat on my next truck purchase! In 11 years, I'll be giving this honda to my kid (he just turned 5). Might sound like excessive planning, but that's how I roll. I'll probably buy something 2-3 years old, so that would put it in the 2020 to 2021 model year or so. I'm guessing 30 mpg will be commonplace by then.

Wonder what the 3.0 diesel will get for mileage in a 1500 4x4 configuration. It is intriguing but it's going to have to get a heck of a lot more mileage than the ecoboost to be worthwhile,

If the diesel is in anything other than a Ford, then the mileage difference will be worthwhile to not have to drive a Ford. wink The EcoBoosts aren't what they are hyped up to be anyway. I know of a few farmers who fell for the hype and were sorely mistaken regarding their supposed towing capabilities. They were on the used car lot soon after. (the Fords, not the farmers) grin

Chevy was supposed to have a 4-something liter diesel for their 1500's but then they went bankrupt. I was really looking forward to that little devil.

A Small diesel truck is already offered by VW, JUST not in the USA market..... VW's Amarok. Not is not really a working truck, but its a step.

file-7.jpg

This photo is from a friend, who took the picture, from Arizona. He was at Bug-o-Rama at Firebird raceway.

On a second note how often do you hear of a Gasser being able to reach 300,000 miles on the power train and still running strong. Now granted there are cars out there with this kind of mileage, but a hand full of gassers VS how many diesels have this mileage on them. I hear of a lot more of this in the Diesel world. I would be disappointed, if taken care of properly, if I didn't see 200,000 plus.

Yeah...diesels have a reputation for mileage racking up.

I wonder how much of that is related to the diesel owner often being a special breed of character, meticulous in maintenance and such vs. the majority of gasser drivers who just drive them with mere passing interest in maintenance?

On a second note how often do you hear of a Gasser being able to reach 300,000 miles on the power train and still running strong. Now granted there are cars out there with this kind of mileage, but a hand full of gassers VS how many diesels have this mileage on them. I hear of a lot more of this in the Diesel world.

While this is true, I have to wonder how many people these days keep their vehicles that long to recoup that initial cost of buying the truck equipped with a diesel. I would have to think it is a small percentage, but it would be something to consider if you were a buyer who planned on holding onto a vehicle that long. The way the bodies are built now and the excessive salt that this state uses, there typically isn't much left by the time a vehicle reaches those higher mileage numbers.

FWIW, I have no doubt my 1994 K1500 ould go go 300K, if I keep it that long or the body lasts that long. 220K, extended oil changes, pulled a trailer considerable part of it's life, and still idles smoother and uses less oil than a number of considerably newer, less milage trucks I've seen.

Wonder what the 3.0 diesel will get for mileage in a 1500 4x4 configuration. It is intriguing but it's going to have to get a heck of a lot more mileage than the ecoboost to be worthwhile, considering the engine will likely cost more to begin with and the fuel is roughly 20% more in cost. At 21 mpg for the 4x4 ecoboost, the 20% more that a diesel needs just to break even at fuel-dollars-per-mile would put it at just over 25. Iffin the engine costs a few grand more, there's a bunch more mileage it'll need to recoup that cost. I'm interested, but skeptical.

Hard to say until the specs are out, but definitely valid points. There are no real comparables on the market today, however there are 2 luxury SUV's with similar engine/transmissions. The Mercedes GL w/ their 3.0L diesel + 7-speed + AWD is rated at 26HWY. The Audi Q7 w/ their 3.0L + 8-speed + AWD is rated at 28HWY. The Audi is the better comparison, since the RAM will be using a version of the same/similar tranny. I really think the strength of these smaller diesels is the good mileage, w/out giving up towing capacity in most cases, considering it will still have a 10k tow rating while in the MPG ballpark stated above. So for somebody that needs a daily driver and still tow their toys, it seems like a perfect match.

Now, by the time this comes out the EcoBoost should be receiving an engine update, and in addition could be updated to an 8-speed tranny Ford is working on. So its MPG's should increase as well.

Limit, you're correct the Baby Duramax 4.5L diesel was put on the shelf during the bankruptcy and the program has not be restarted. Supposedly its done and basically just sitting on the shelf, but they can't make the make the numbers work to put it in production (in terms of cost + performance). That's the engine I was waiting on, but since I want to upgrade in the next year, I'll probably go with Hemi + 8-speed or the Ecoboost. If I postpone my purchase, then the 3.0L diesel should be the ticket.

I friend of mine bought his son a ecoboost when they first came out, and he has it chipped, with big tires on it. He beats the snot out of it, and it has held up. Dyno tested to 540hp. It is pretty impressive to say the least. So with just a little modification, this engine can put out a quite a bit more power.

I did the mods, I put exhaust, a modified induction, and the chip in it. I also did some of the suspension work too, but that is irrelevant. He since, had the program personalized, and that is when it was on the dyno.

I friend of mine bought his son a ecoboost when they first came out, and he has it chipped, with big tires on it. He beats the snot out of it, and it has held up. Dyno tested to 540hp. It is pretty impressive to say the least. So with just a little modification, this engine can put out a quite a bit more power.

THIS is why ford will never put the 3.5L in a mustang. It would peve the v8 guys off so much, anyhow if a person can get that with just bolt ons, my God what would a 5.0L be capable of.

laugh

anyone remember what the O.P. topic was? I forgot

I just hauled my 5000lb camper 60 miles up to storage and had no problems at all with my new ecoboost. It hauled as well as my 6.0L diesel and got the same mileage too, all with just 1000 miles on the motor. Its only getting better.

I've read many stories of people hauling mid-sized campers with their ecooboost and I personally know a guy who hauls his 28' 5'r with his ecoboost. Nothing but applause from him.

As far as automakers and their baby diesels, who knows. Ford never made it with the baby powerstroke after breaking up with navistar, Chevy dropped the babymax after the bankruptcy and Dodge, well they dropped the only small diesel they had with the Jeep. Not sure why they would continue pursueing it if diesel prices continue to be high. Thats why Ford pursued the direction they did and now we have a twin turbo gas motor that is blowing away the competition. US automakers continue to reject diesel in the US market. If they cared that much they would be brining their european models to the US.

US automakers continue to reject diesel in the US market. If they cared that much they would be brining their european models to the US.

That's the hand they're dealt, thanks to Government regulations.

I'd love a diesel, but paying 20% more for fuel really makes it harder to justify if it's ALSO more expensive to buy the engine than a capable gasoline engine. Harder to make up that cost until you hit 250-300k miles.

I like the idea that 300k miles is achievable with a diesel, but the problem is I only put on 10k to 15k miles per year, so getting to 300k takes a LONG time. Maybe if I lived in north dakota with less (none?) salt, I could do it. Here in MN we are addicted to the road salt and 25 years is a long time on a body/frame.

I've got another solid decade with my 8 year old RAM, we'll see what's new about that timeframe. I'm definitely excited to see some of the things that are coming out. We'll see what the price differential on those mini-diesels is. If the engine costs the same, and the fuel costs 20% more and you get 20% more efficiency, then it's a wash and I guess it doesn't hurt to go diesel.

Or maybe natural gas. Or...maybe electric with diesel battery chargers? I don't know. Just making stuff up. Who knows what'll be coming down the pike to help achieve the latest expensive fuel efficiency mandates.

THIS is why ford will never put the 3.5L in a mustang. It would peve the v8 guys off so much, anyhow if a person can get that with just bolt ons, my God what would a 5.0L be capable of.

Well, there are plenty of rumors floating around it will appear in the next Gen Mustang, but who knows? The next Gen Mustang is going global, so it may only be offered in that configuration outside the US, or maybe in a special edition package. The EB 4cyl is pretty much already confirmed.

Motor Trend claims the HP is underrated on the EB by around 20HP, according to their dyno tests.

20 or 200?

whistle

All I did to the truck was an intake, a new CAC system, exhaust, and the tuner. Not sure what he had done after that, and before the dyno was done. Maybe he put on new turbo's? I am not sure. If I recall, the intake set, exhaust, and tuner added about 75hp to the truck.

My reference to the Kepler, was to show that the 3.5 Ecoboost modded, is capable of 550hp.