• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Big 9

bltbowhunter

Well, the stars aligned and everything worked out perfect for me to finally get a shot at a good deer. I took Thursday and Friday off to sit all day. On Thursday, I sat a strip of woods between two swamps that I like to sit during the rut. The bucks cruise this strip back and forth looking for does and making scrapes. I have my camera over a scrape and have been getting good day time pictures of a few smaller bucks. I only ended up seeing 4 fawns that day and they were all about 150 yards away. I got down, and pulled my card on my camera. When I got home, I saw that there were bucks coming through there everyday for the past week, but of course none while I was sitting there on Thursday. Friday, I decided to sit a different spot about 200 yards away. My brother saw a good buck there a couple days before and is usually a good spot to see does. I sat there until 11:00 AM without seeing a deer. I decided to go down the hill to sit another spot until dark. Around, 4:00 I start to grow a bit impatient and am starting to think that I'm not going to see any deer for the day. About 4:30 I hear some grunting in a small dried up swamp about 100 yds away. I look over to see a nice buck chasing a doe. He was just about to head up the hill to the spot that I was sitting in the morning, so I grunted at him a few times and snort wheezed at him. He stopped chasing and stared my way for a couple of minutes. I knew that I didn't have a chance of getting him close, unless the doe brought him to me. All of a sudden the doe starts working her way to me. I pick up my bow and get ready for the shot. She comes directly up wind of me and walks by at about 18 yards. At that spot I was completely in the wide open, with no cover. I didn't even look at her, I just tried to hold completely still. Somehow, she didn't see me shaking. He followed behind her soon after. I didn't think that I'd be able to draw my bow without him seeing me, but I managed to get drawn back right as his head went behind a small tree. He then stepped out at 18 yards broadside. I sent a 2 blade rage right through both lungs, and immediately started giggling and laughing like a school girl. I started saying, "that's a dead deer! that's a dead deer!" I can't ever remember being that excited about anything. I waited about 30 minutes and headed back to the truck to get help, a deer cart, and a couple flash lights. When I got back to my stand, I found good blood at the spot where I shot him and was able to pick up the blood trail right away. For some reason, there wasn't good blood. It was just a spec here and there, and I started to get really worried. I almost backed out, but I found my arrow and the blood looked good on there. After about a hundred yards, he started to bleed a little better, but still not great. He made it to the opening of a little swamp. I looked across the swamp and saw him laying just inside the woods. When I got closer, to him I could tell he stopped to contemplate his next move. There was finally good blood where he stood for bit. I learned that even with a perfect hit, deer can go quite a long ways. He tore out of there faster than any other deer that I've ever shot, and I bet he died within 10 seconds, but he sure went a long ways in that amount of time (150 yds).

We only had one picture of this deer, and that was back in August when he was in velvet. My brother saw him one time in September as well. It's hard to believe that everything can come together so perfectly, but I guess if you put enough time in it will eventually happen.

~Jeremy

full-40841-26361-5.jpg

full-40841-26362-trailcam.jpg

Great story, awesome deer, and bada$$ big buck beard! My fiance is starting to worry about my beard now that I've passed on a nice buck a couple weeks back and sightings have been slow since... Your story my friend gives both me and her hope! Congrats!

Thanks BuckmasterG! My wife asked me if I was going trim the beard now, since I shot my buck. I just can't bring myself to do it. That's 2 months of work for me. I'm going to have to keep it going until Christmas and then reevaluate!