• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Knife sharpener

icecold

Work SHarp knife and tool sharpener!!! I just bought one and it works as advertised, it is awesome! 70 bucks at northern tool and at fleet farm

I've always had dull knives and struggled to get a good edge on them. I bought the work sharp and it works great. Every knife I own if now shaving sharp.

the absolute best bang for your buck you can find is a true knife sharpening stone (2 or 3 sided) with a little honing oil & do it yourself or find a professional knife sharpening service that charges $2-3/knife. Electric sharpeners are good but mostly gimicks cause if u dont know how to use em properly or your knives are made of soft steel instead of hard steel those electic sharpeners can kill a good knife in no time & pit the heck out of your edge. a small 2 sided stone & honing oil will do every bit as good a job $ better, the key is for you to have control of the blade & take your time....and like anything else practice, practice, practice. whatever your choice, be aware that your chosen product is made of crushed diamonds, the only thing that will truly make a difference and an awesome sharp edge

What model chefs choice do you guys have? I have the Gatco manual one from Cabelas and not real impressed. Unimpressed enough that my knives get dull and I procrastinate on sharpening them.

I have the Diamond Hone 120 and love it. It does every blade I have in the kitchen, plus all my camping stuff in no time.

As this thread goes on, for sure there a lots of different tools that'll sharpen an edge.

When problems arise IMO it starts with not matching the angle and or bevel from the previous sharpening.

A blade that might have just needed a touch up can turn into a very frustrating job if your abrasive is not touching the edge. You could spend all day with a fine grit but your only working on the heal of the bevel.

With the different type sharpers mentioned, so are the edges they produce different.

Basically you have the flat V ground edge or a compound bevel made with a stone.

Compound bevel being the most popular.

The belt type grinders are going to give you a convex edge.

Wheel stones make a hollow ground.

Now say you take a wet/oil stone or a V stick and try and sharpen a knife with a convex edge.

Your going to be there for a while.

So whatever type edge you have depends on what type sharpener you have.

Your better not mixing different style sharpeners on a knife.

Something that will help you is to mark the bevel with a sharpie(felt pen).

Make your stroke and take a look at the bevel. Thats going to tell you if your

taking anything off the edge or wasting time on the heal of the bevel.

Starting with Coarse, Medium, or Fine?

That depends on the condition of the edge.

If you start out with fine on an edge that should be started with coarse or medium you won't get anywhere.

As this thread goes on, for sure there a lots of different tools that'll sharpen an edge.

When problems arise IMO it starts with not matching the angle and or bevel from the previous sharpening.

A blade that might have just needed a touch up can turn into a very frustrating job if your abrasive is not touching the edge. You could spend all day with a fine grit but your only working on the heal of the bevel.

With the different type sharpers mentioned, so are the edges they produce different.

Basically you have the flat V ground edge or a compound bevel made with a stone.

Compound bevel being the most popular.

The belt type grinders are going to give you a convex edge.

Wheel stones make a hollow ground.

Now say you take a wet/oil stone or a V stick and try and sharpen a knife with a convex edge.

Your going to be there for a while.

So whatever type edge you have depends on what type sharpener you have.

Your better not mixing different style sharpeners on a knife.

Something that will help you is to mark the bevel with a sharpie(felt pen).

Make your stroke and take a look at the bevel. Thats going to tell you if your

taking anything off the edge or wasting time on the heal of the bevel.

Starting with Coarse, Medium, or Fine?

That depends on the condition of the edge.

If you start out with fine on an edge that should be started with coarse or medium you won't get anywhere.

This. Harbor freight has a 4 sided diamond block that is only $10-20. For the money it is the best available. Diamond makes very quick work. Just know that many knives come from the factory with a convex grind and matching that is very difficult. If you sharpen it and quickly/easily get it sharp quickly you haven't taken the heal or the shoulder off. It will reduce overall bevel and angle until it is essentially flat. Worksharps look great, but I have a friend that picked up a small belt sander for $10 and can hold a 20 degree angle just fine.