• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lubing the sharpening stone

Eric Wettschreck

Just wondering what yous guys use to lube your knife sharpening stones? I've heard of everything from fuel oil to #2 diesel to old drain oil and everything else slippery.

Myself, I use what every I have laying around in a jug. Sometimes it's diesel fuel sometimes it's drain oil and sometimes it's #2. I like fuel oil the best. What do yous guys use?

Question......honing oil on flesh? Seems to me one would wash the knive after honing it. There is a product that Ace hardware sells, maybe elsewhere as well, called Smith oil. It's a very light oil that isn't much more then water and is easy to wipe off the stone with a rag or paper towel. But, ya know, I've only been cuttin meat for 62 years, so what would I know?

There are different stones wet stone=water then oil stone that speaks for it self. I use wet stones and once in a while I wire brush them to clean the pores,Pressure washer works also.Wet stone on knives for food.Oil stone on tools chisles,plane blades ect.

The belt sander turned sand belt side up works for a hollow grind and a quick edge on anything dull,Then a stone

If you want to know how to sharpen things, surf the woodworking sites. Those guys are WAY into this.

Myself, I use transmission fluid on oil stones and Arkansas stones out in the shop when they have been oiled. In the kitchen I use dish soap on the Arkansas stone to keep it clean and cutting freely. Water stones are a different process altogether and probably not applicable to thei baord. (they do work great, but you have to learn sharpening all over)

Check out the diamond sharpeners. They cost a few bucks up front but they really do a nice job. I have lots of wood planes, chisels and of course pocket, hunting and kitchen knives and used every method you can think of for many years. Then I learned about the diamond "stones". There is also a Work Sharp system but most guys won't need that for casual pocket knife/hunting knife sharpening.

I take some planes down to 8000 grit and chisels almost that sharp. Takes time with diamonds and super-fine grit papers etc. on glass plates....way more fooling around than most guys need. BUT...the diamond stones do fine and the good ones come double sided. Check them out. You only need to buy them once and they clean with water and use water as lube.