• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Perfect Wolf gun?

So if you were to buy a gun specifically for MN Wolves what would the Caliber be? Always looking for an excuse to buy another gun. Oviously many will work. I am looking for the perfect. I have always liked the .22 caliber for yotes. I have a .222 but the .223 and .22-250 would be a couple others. I was thinking maybe a .243 for wolves? Maybe a .25 caliber? Thanks

Keep in mind that a mature wolf is a far different animal than a coyote!! To do the job humanely you need something with some punch and a heavy bullet. All the calibers you mention will, of course, down a wolf. But to nail one use something larger.

Up where I come from it used to be double 0 buck out the side window of a slow flying Super Cub. But that's another story!

Go bigger. If you just GOTTA kill a wolfe, do it quickly and cleanly.

No. No. And No! Why shoot a light bullet like that? A wolf is a TOUGH animal. Man up and shoot a real gun if you want to take them cleanly.

Sure, I'm confident you can kill a full grown adult wolf with those caliber guns and proper bullets.

But I believe the question had to do with our reccomendations for the BEST or most appropriate cal/load.

Agree with the 25.06 or the 7mm. An adult deer is going to be 80-100 lbs. and you need something to drop it quick. I would just as soon as bring my 30-30 or my 243, the same I use to hunt deer. If you're looking at really long shots go with a magnum round. Can you even legally hunt wolf with a 22 cal.? Some states have restrictions, I'm not familiar with Minnesota's regs.

.243 would work with a 95 grain and up, the lighter loads may not have the punch. Coyotes are pansys compaired to big grey. If I was going out to take a wolf I would go 7mm mag or something else very flat and fast with good punch way down range.

A 45-70 Government should do the job! Stop that wolf in his tracks. Of corse you will have to deal with that extreme hole that round will leave it it's pelt but It would be a fun gun to own. Gander MT. Has a nice marlin leaver action 54-70 for sale $$$$